PDA

View Full Version : A Question about X-sync

VulpesVulpesVulpes
2-Sep-2015, 09:39
Morning/Afternoon/Evening wherever you might be!

1. Can anyone recommend a good lens+shutter setup for a reasonable price with x-sync available?

2. I currently have a Carl Zeiss Jenna/Tessar 135 4.5 lens in a f.deckel-munchen compurshutter. Can I purchase a shutter with x-sync and put the Zeiss lens into it as an alternative way to get what I'm after?

All help appreciated!

DrTang
2-Sep-2015, 10:12
it might fit into one of those Polaroid copal or compur shutters

Bob Salomon
2-Sep-2015, 10:28
If it is in a shutter that old it probably will not fit into a modern shutter without some machining costs.

Better to just look for a more current lens in a more current shutter. That would probably cheaper then paying for custom machining on the old lens.

VulpesVulpesVulpes
2-Sep-2015, 10:32
I'll try for that option instead then.
Off the top of your head, can you think of any lenses to use with my speed graphic that are commonly had on the big auction site that won't break the bank?

Bob Salomon
2-Sep-2015, 10:34
I'll try for that option instead then.
Off the top of your head, can you think of any lenses to use with my speed graphic that are commonly had on the big auction site that won't break the bank?

No recent used 135 will break the bank. Unless you have a very small account I your bank. Why not just state how much you want to pay, at the maximum?

VulpesVulpesVulpes
2-Sep-2015, 10:37
Ideally, I was hoping to spend under £100 if that's at all feasible? I'll have a look through the 135's and see what I can find

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2015, 11:27
If it is in a shutter that old it probably will not fit into a modern shutter without some machining costs.

I'm not sure that's true. The Zeiss Jenna Tessar 135mm 4.5 is quite common and Zeiss incorporated f.deckel-munchen, eventually using just the Compur name.

OP, unscrew the front and rear elements and measure their diameters. We can then begin to consider a more recent X synch shutter that will fit.

Another approach is to use a mechanical external synchronizer such as this (http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/flashhistory_files/image008.jpg). It screws into the cable release and can be adjusted to X - if you are patient. I have one and it actually works.

Bob Salomon
2-Sep-2015, 11:38
I'm not sure that's true. The Zeiss Jenna Tessar 135mm 4.5 is quite common and Zeiss incorporated f.deckel-munchen, eventually using just the Compur name.

OP, unscrew the front and rear elements and measure their diameters. We can then begin to consider a more recent X synch shutter that will fit.
And the thread pitch!

Corran
2-Sep-2015, 11:59
A Schneider Xenar 135mm f/4.7 in a shutter with X-sync should be easy to find for that much or less. In fact, I think I have one one my shelf that I don't need, if you are interested.

Alan Gales
2-Sep-2015, 12:01
The Rodenstock Geronar lenses and the Caltar labeled versions are dirt cheap. I've seen them go for less than $100 U.S. dollars. They don't have extreme coverage but are perfect on a Crown or Speed. I had a Caltar 210 and it would even fold up inside of my Crown Graphic.

VulpesVulpesVulpes
2-Sep-2015, 12:33
A Schneider Xenar 135mm f/4.7 in a shutter with X-sync should be easy to find for that much or less. In fact, I think I have one one my shelf that I don't need, if you are interested.

The main issue so far has been balancing out the cost of postage + customs charges. It might be wiser for me to wait until I have the extra disposable income rather than trying to find a dream price tag.

Another approach is to use a mechanical external synchronizer such as this (http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/flashhistory_files/image008.jpg). It screws into the cable release and can be adjusted to X - if you are patient. I have one and it actually works.

Once I get home tomorrow morning I'll measure and report back.
As for the mechanical synchronizer, what do you have to do to adjust it to X? have you had much luck with it in terms of using modern flashes?

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2015, 12:56
As for the mechanical synchronizer, what do you have to do to adjust it to X? have you had much luck with it in terms of using modern flashes?

There is a PC flash connection on the unit. Plug in the flash.

On the side of the unit is a slider for the delay of flash. Look through the back of the camera as you press the release. Move the slider up or down (probably up) and shoot, repeat until you can see the flash through the lens, then turn the lock screw to keep the setting. Longer delays up to 1/50th are for bulbs, and are down on the slider.

I look forward to the measurements you find. An investment in an adequate dial caliper and thread gauge is a good idea for anyone involved in these things or any DIY project. For a dial caliper I use a General Tools Plas Dial Caliper. Mine is 15 years old and still adequate. Thread gauges are even less expensive.

AtlantaTerry
3-Sep-2015, 00:20
An investment in an adequate dial caliper and thread gauge is a good idea for anyone involved in these things or any DIY project. For a dial caliper I use a General Tools Plas Dial Caliper. Mine is 15 years old and still adequate. Thread gauges are even less expensive.

Here in the States one place full of inexpensive tools (most from China) is the chain of Harbor Freight's 600 stores. On my last visit I was looking at their selection of calipers and thread gauges.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools.html?CatPath=All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FHand%2BTools%2F%2F%2F%2FMeasuring+Tools&RequestData=CA_CategoryExpand