PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff dates

koh303
29-Aug-2015, 12:02
Just saw this. I have 2 of these right now, both with similar SN's and both have dates marked on the bottom of the front frame, as well as signed by "JG". Do all of them have this?

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11953285_816239241828247_3491185178893513888_n.jpg?oh=622431ca3e6a04cfb7712d9e3693aeae&oe=5636F547
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11896023_816239235161581_7315924208792037261_n.jpg?oh=f67cdd57eae6f1f1ec6158ef4faf27f2&oe=56710429
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/11954815_816239245161580_7697111893124666085_n.jpg?oh=1449eaf309995b3ceba4c31740abed40&oe=566F7DFB

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2015, 13:36
Mine has no such markings, but it does have the front name plate serial # 4004.

John Kasaian
29-Aug-2015, 16:08
Not on mine either. IIRC my 'dorff's serial # is circa 1954 or there about.

Tin Can
29-Aug-2015, 16:15
Read Deardorff history site (http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/) all becomes clear about dating and production.

Those scratched dates are likely owners or bad repairmen.

A few decades ago smart men, always men I bet, marked everything with their SS number...

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2015, 17:10
A few decades ago smart men, always men I bet, marked everything with their SS number...

In my era when we finished building a custom motorcycle we stamped our military number out of sight under the frame. The number was our surname first initial and the last four of our military number. Back then, they did not use SSN.
--
S0332

koh303
29-Aug-2015, 17:54
Read Deardorff history site (http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/) all becomes clear about dating and production.

Those scratched dates are likely owners or bad repairmen.

Where on there is this mentioned? I have read this page many a time, but cannot recall any reference to this, on two different cameras of the same era.

As for marking, when i was a kid there was a police service that would come to peoples homes to etch id/ss numbers onto valuables so that they could later be identified when recovered after they were stolen. It was a small place, and stuff like that really happened from time to time break ins, recovery of stolen goods etc), and homes who had had this done got a little tag to pot on the door frame stating "the property in this house is marked!" with a little police logo.
As my parents house was broken into several times (never through that door), i am not sure that was a useful deterrant, not to mention the rate appliances are replaced in this post post modern era makes this kind of thing useless.
I am sorry, i do not get the "always men" reference, but i digress, and would like to keep the thread on track with regards to the dates on these two cameras.

I think the dates correspond to the actual serial number, though will wait to hear back from Ken Kough.

I am sure there are more folks here who have older v8's and can check theirs..

Tracy Storer
29-Aug-2015, 19:17
Hi, I have seen cameras of various vintages marked with initials and or dates scratched or stamped in various places.
I have a V8 here (confirmed by Ken Hough) from June 1963, with a hand scratched "JG" in the same place, the bottom side of the front of the front extension.
I also have a camera from presumably February 1950, before serial numbers which were introduced in May of the same year, it has factory original front swing, and "2-50" scratched in two or three hidden places and a set of initials (not "JG")
This is a thing. For whatever reason, certain workers liked to mark their work. I suspect this was discouraged by the bosses, but will probably never know. Maybe they took away our guys letter stamps between '60 and '63. : )

I have a friend (another forum member) who has a V8 from '37 with the complete date stamped into the cast aluminum turntable.

OH, EDIT, they do not all have this......I had a '56 with no such marks, and have an early '50s one here for restoration for another client with no marks.

Tin Can
29-Aug-2015, 19:37
Where on there is this mentioned? I have read this page many a time, but cannot recall any reference to this, on two different cameras of the same era.

As for marking, when i was a kid there was a police service that would come to peoples homes to etch id/ss numbers onto valuables so that they could later be identified when recovered after they were stolen. It was a small place, and stuff like that really happened from time to time break ins, recovery of stolen goods etc), and homes who had had this done got a little tag to pot on the door frame stating "the property in this house is marked!" with a little police logo.
As my parents house was broken into several times (never through that door), i am not sure that was a useful deterrant, not to mention the rate appliances are replaced in this post post modern era makes this kind of thing useless.
I am sorry, i do not get the "always men" reference, but i digress, and would like to keep the thread on track with regards to the dates on these two cameras.

I think the dates correspond to the actual serial number, though will wait to hear back from Ken Kough.

I am sure there are more folks here who have older v8's and can check theirs..

Did you read this page carefully?

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Details.htm

Tracy Storer
29-Aug-2015, 20:29
OK, I just got off the phone with Ken Hough. "JG" was a Deardorff factory worker who took particular pride in the quality of the parts he was responsible for, ie, the front extensions. that's all it means, according to Ken, nothing more. Further, Ken feels that scratched or stamped dates were generally done by owners for identification in case of theft.

koh303
30-Aug-2015, 03:58
Did you read this page carefully?

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Details.htm

yes, there is nothing there about dates on the bottom of the front rack.

koh303
30-Aug-2015, 04:01
OK, I just got off the phone with Ken Hough. "JG" was a Deardorff factory worker who took particular pride in the quality of the parts he was responsible for, ie, the front extensions. that's all it means, according to Ken, nothing more. Further, Ken feels that scratched or stamped dates were generally done by owners for identification in case of theft.

Why would an owner scratch a date as ID? why would it be on two separate cameras (or at least three that we know of now) closely matching the production date? They also appear to be the same "hand" writing, but thats just an opinion.

I feel, that if someone wanted to ID a camera he would use something other then a year/date.

Tracy Storer
30-Aug-2015, 08:35
Just sharing what Ken told me...I too wonder about dates. I've seen some obviously done by owners, SSNs etc. but still wonder if some might have been factory. Kens other observation was that practices were not super consistent depending on who was doing what.

Why would an owner scratch a date as ID? why would it be on two separate cameras (or at least three that we know of now) closely matching the production date? They also appear to be the same "hand" writing, but thats just an opinion.

I feel, that if someone wanted to ID a camera he would use something other then a year/date.

RichardRitter
30-Aug-2015, 09:57
Could be for accounting/tax reason

William Whitaker
30-Aug-2015, 10:15
OK, I just got off the phone with Ken Hough. "JG" was a Deardorff factory worker who took particular pride in the quality of the parts he was responsible for...

And I always thought it was Jim Galli!

Duolab123
2-Sep-2015, 19:24
Mine is before the cast aluminum plate, I'm no expert and I know the Deardorff folks used what was on hand so there are a lot of variations, but I doubt that the factory would scratch dates into the finish. My dad would always date things when he put them into service, either on the item or in the manual. He was a well trained Navy corpsman who served in WWII. Might be something that simple.?.

Tin Can
3-Sep-2015, 17:47
Mine is before the cast aluminum plate, I'm no expert and I know the Deardorff folks used what was on hand so there are a lot of variations, but I doubt that the factory would scratch dates into the finish. My dad would always date things when he put them into service, either on the item or in the manual. He was a well trained Navy corpsman who served in WWII. Might be something that simple.?.

Most of my Packard's have repair dates written inside and I continue the practice when I service one.

I used to write notes to the factory on test diesel engine piston tops and they would write back!

Duolab123
4-Sep-2015, 17:38
Fabulous!