PDA

View Full Version : Experience Using New55 Film?

Max-Schenk
29-Aug-2015, 09:32
Has anyone had any experience using the New55 positive print + negative film? http://new55project.blogspot.com . What were your results?

Thanks,
Max

Fred L
31-Aug-2015, 17:00
just got two boxes (not from production run iirc) so will expose a sheet or two when I get a chance, hopefully this week or weekend. I expect the smear to be hit or miss which I'm ok with for now. I just want to see them get over this latest hiccup ;)

Max-Schenk
31-Aug-2015, 17:17
Thanks Fred and looking forward to hearing about (and seeing!) your results.

GPX
19-Dec-2015, 14:51
Here is a New55 print and a New55 negative scan. I find New55 quite tricky to use but I like it.

Max-Schenk
19-Dec-2015, 19:27
Thanks so much for sending the images - they look great! The edges are a little choppy, but the tones are excellent. How was your experience with having to use with fixer and water baths handy? I have a box of my own now and am looking forward to giving them a go.

Best regards,
Max

mjork
27-Mar-2016, 18:41
Here is my very first attempt using the New55 PN film. Given the current price, I very carefully metered the scene with a spot meter to get it right the first time. I based the exposure on some medium shade of grey in the middle of the flower and checked that the brightest white of the flower is at 2.5 stops above that. That gave me an exposure of 2s, so I used the published reciprocity info from their Web site to correct the time to 4s. I also measured the bellows extension factor but can't remember the details (probably 1 stop adjustment).

I'm very happy with the resulting negative. The positive image is ... interesting. It provides a rather impressionistic rendering of the image. Maybe a lower exposure would have retained some more of the details in the flower, but I'm not so sure.
I'm hoping that over time, there will be improvement in the positive image. Right now, I would consider New55 PN an "instant negative" process that also happens to produce a positive image as a side effect. There might be good uses for the positive (maybe portraits), but I don't think it did justice to this particular subject and lighting setup. I also don't know why I got all those spots on the postive and if there is a way to avoid that.

I'm writing this as someone who is very new to large format photography and has never used the original Polaroid 55 film. I am using the Fuji FP-100c and FP-3000b instant films a lot, and the experience with the excellent positive images that I get from those probably spoiled me a bit.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1666/25618651720_3c3c24e9a0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/F2QhBJ)Amaryllis on New55 (negative) (https://flic.kr/p/F2QhBJ)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1717/25893314626_718fa24697.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Fs71k5)Amaryllis on New55 (positive) (https://flic.kr/p/Fs71k5)

santoroman
12-Apr-2016, 18:02
Although the price seems steep for how many you get...i think I might take the plunge and try out two packs. For the price...I'll def be using my spot meter on the gray card.

robk331
17-May-2016, 18:55
I tried a couple of boxes of New55 with varied results.

The positive isn't that good (not even remotely close to Polaroid 55) but can be interesting with the right subject. The negative is quite nice. However, the quality of the sleeve and clip leave a lot to be desired. The sleeve is too thick compared to the old Polaroid 55 and as a result doesn't move smoothly into the holder. The clip doesn't always engage resulting in non-exposures. With Polaroid 55, it is was relatively easy to tell if the clip had engaged, but not so with New55.

Overall, I'd say if you have some cash to spend and don't mind wasting a few shots, give it a try. However, I don't think this product is ready for prime time.

Rob

Bob Mann
20-May-2016, 09:02
This is my third sheet of New55 -

Rated at 50ASA - I had a little trouble getting it apart so the development time was close to 3 minutes, I was aiming for a little over two as they suggest. Lens is a 180mm - f24 for 8 Sec. Negative is a little dense, positive was very light - but I do like the tones and holding of detail. It is expensive, but I do like the ability to process quickly.

Bob Mann
31-May-2016, 12:34
After a "successful experience" with the first three sheets I have run into a series 5 of failures. They are partly my fault in I misloaded one packet which bent the springs in the holder which then lead to 2 more failures before I figured out the springs were bent. "Fixing" the holder as best as I could, I have gotten images on the last two. One was also my fault in misreading my light meter and underexposing the sheet, the last one is posted below. Not sure why the background is mottled - image is of a white carnation on a white background. Developed just over 2 minutes and fixed in Ilford fixer. I have yet to have a positive that I would consider "keeping" - but I am using this film for an instant negative and would have no real use for the positive except as a proof.

New55 Film - f11 - 1 sec - 2+ minute development

Norway
4-May-2017, 22:14
Bump!

Seems like this film can produce some wonderful images. But seems quite challenging? Is it worth the price? I do love instant film, and not many options left now..

Would love to see some more examples of this film, if there is someone here that still shoots it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan9940
5-May-2017, 07:09
I was a Kickstarter supporter of this film and went through 3 or 4 boxes before I finally gave up. I so wanted it to work for me because I always loved using Type 55. But... I never got a complete negative (the developing regent always missed part of the film), it was hard to load into my holders (my guess is that it's thicker than 55), the packets leaked goo all inside the roller area, etc. Honestly, for the price of 55 I can buy real Type 55 cheaper and not be concerned if a couple sheets don't turn out.

EdSawyer
5-May-2017, 08:33
This:

>Honestly, for the price of 55 I can buy real Type 55 cheaper and not be concerned if a couple sheets don't turn out.

Not only is it cheaper, it's better. And 2009 Type 55 seems to be mostly good still, from my experience.

Norway
5-May-2017, 11:40
I was a Kickstarter supporter of this film and went through 3 or 4 boxes before I finally gave up. I so wanted it to work for me because I always loved using Type 55. But... I never got a complete negative (the developing regent always missed part of the film), it was hard to load into my holders (my guess is that it's thicker than 55), the packets leaked goo all inside the roller area, etc. Honestly, for the price of 55 I can buy real Type 55 cheaper and not be concerned if a couple sheets don't turn out.

Hmm. That does not sound too good. Still I have seen many good shots made with this film.

Is it really that inconsistent now, they have made the film for some years now?

BTW, where can I get Type 55 film?

Alan9940
5-May-2017, 12:42
Hmm. That does not sound too good. Still I have seen many good shots made with this film.

I, too, have seen many well executed shots from this film. All I'm saying is that I was not successful with it.

Is it really that inconsistent now, they have made the film for some years now?

No idea. Buy a box, try it, and report back your results.

BTW, where can I get Type 55 film?

https://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/new55-pn?variant=22471703811

Sal Santamaura
5-May-2017, 15:15
...BTW, where can I get Type 55 film?...I just exercised the Google machine:

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=401174195016&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

Alan9940
5-May-2017, 15:39
Oh, sorry, I read that wrong...you're looking for Polaroid Type 55. Thanks for the correction, Sal.

Norway
5-May-2017, 18:16
Thanks for the replies. I know about Google :) Was just hoping to avoid that auction site..

Alan9940
5-May-2017, 21:19
Thanks for the replies. I know about Google :) Was just hoping to avoid that auction site..

Sorry, eBay is the only way that I know of to get Polaroid Type 55 as it's been long out of production.

Norway
5-May-2017, 22:41
So not so many users and fans of New55 Film on this forum?

Well I still think I will give it chance as I really love instant film :)

Alan9940
6-May-2017, 10:33
Well I still think I will give it chance as I really love instant film :)

I would certainly encourage you to give it a try! Please let us know how it works out for you.

AuditorOne
6-May-2017, 15:18
I use it. There isn't anything wrong with it, it is just different.

Different from Polaroid Type 55 so the former users of that film are unhappy with it. I never used Polaroid Type 55 film so I have no reference to the old product.

Since it is a new product there have been some teething problems, both from a manufacturing point of view (it is far more difficult to manufacture an instant film then people seem to realize), and from a user point of view (it is not very forgiving of user variations, particularly from the developing perspective.)

It is also expensive, as has already been pointed out. I think a lot of people would be more accepting of the expense if the product were a bit easier to use.

So, it is not Polaroid Type 55, but a different product.

It is expensive, yet not very user friendly.

From my perspective it is still very much a beta product. Since the company is still having financial difficulties, the beta period is lasting much longer than some would expect.

This film also has a bit of a bipolar nature about it. One one hand it takes a bit of the Lomo attitude to not accept, but to anticipate the unexpected. )n the other hand it also takes a willingness to be VERY methodical in your habits, more so than is normal for most film, which is kind of the antithesis of Lomo.

When I go out I am prepared to not only get the positive print, but also to fix the negative. This means I have trays, fixer, water, and ways to hang the negative and positive. This means I am usually photographing right next to my van. Polaroid Type 55 was commonly used to establish an exposure that was close to what you saw in your minds eye that could then be applied to a sheet of large format film. So it was acceptable to the Ansel Adams of the world as well as studio photographers. As far as my experience has been, the newer NEW55 is not ready for that role yet.

Sometimes I like what I get, sometimes not so much, sometimes I just get a huge, gooey, mess that I have to clean up before I can continue. In other words it is usually unpredictable, but I actually like that. Not always of course, but if I am not in the mood for the unpredictability inherent with this film then I use negative (or positive) sheet film instead.

What I do like is I can tell pretty quickly if I have something useful. It is a bit like digital in that respect, I can cheat and chimp. Of course I have to wait a few minutes, but I do get an "instant" result.

So, this is a long winded way of saying, this film is not for everyone. In fact, it may not be for most people. It really kind of depends on your own expectations. If you expect it to act like Tri-X, or the former Type 55, then you will be disappointed. If you are willing to go out for a day of simple fun, and expect to be surprised, then you will probably enjoy it.

Just do not get frustrated when you get a gooey mess the first time you turn the lever to "P" and pull the film. Just expect that it will happen at some point during the day and have a tray of water with a toothbrush to clean up the parts of your film holder. Lay everything out in the sun to dry and take a break. :D

peter schrager
6-May-2017, 18:36
AuditorOne that was a nice and honest piece about the new 55

Christopher Barrett
6-May-2017, 18:53
Are people using outdated T55 with success? When I shot 4x5 chrome for a living and shot hundreds of Polaroid a week, the stuff went bad really fast. Pods would dry up before we finished a batch and we used to send caseloads back to Calumet. Buying old stuff on eBay or anywhere else seems like a total crapshoot.

-CB

AuditorOne
6-May-2017, 19:24
AuditorOne that was a nice and honest piece about the new 55

Thanks Peter.

In the early days I got really good at tearing down the 545 film holder, cleaning it, and then putting it back together. :D

Thankfully that part has gotten much better as they have improved their production processes.

When everything works, I actually like the look I get. I am sure I'm a little odd that way but the imperfections around the edges give this film a character I don't get with other types of film. It is unlike anything else I use. I can understand why people liked the old Type 55.

peter schrager
7-May-2017, 04:38
Auditor..the old 55 is gone. I used to go out in the middle of NYC and make negatives right there on the street; it was fun to say the least.
the new55 facebook page has some interesting stories about photogs using the film. it is what it is and I'm going to try a few boxes. the company has been giving workshops around the northeast to show people how to properly use the film.
as an aside I never had any problems with the polaroid backs. just glad they didn't have to make those too!!
Is it really only only 5 sheets per box?? (the atomicX film is really nice too!)

EdSawyer
7-May-2017, 07:04
I am still using original Polaroid 55 from 2009 with good results.

AuditorOne
7-May-2017, 10:39
Auditor..the old 55 is gone. I used to go out in the middle of NYC and make negatives right there on the street; it was fun to say the least.
the new55 facebook page has some interesting stories about photogs using the film. it is what it is and I'm going to try a few boxes. the company has been giving workshops around the northeast to show people how to properly use the film.
as an aside I never had any problems with the polaroid backs. just glad they didn't have to make those too!!
Is it really only only 5 sheets per box?? (the atomicX film is really nice too!)

Yes it really is only 5 sheets per box. Right now you can buy the Polaroid Type 55 on Ebay for less per sheet than it costs to pick up the New 55. I haven't bought any because I'm afraid it will be dried out, which I hear is pretty common.

I usually pack two boxes with me but I use it up pretty slowly while in the field. Five sheets can take me all morning to expose. I think that is because I stop and fix/wash each negative before I make another photograph. It is slow but I know that if I ever get into wet plate this will be good training.

I have been considering trying out their Atomic X and the Mono developer as well but haven't gone there yet. Most who have used the Atomic X film seem to like it.

mitrajoon
8-May-2017, 09:25
AuditorOne,

Good, thoughtful summary.

meditant
13-May-2017, 02:29
Hello,

I have use this week outdated polaroid 55 B&W from 1986 with good results !!!

peter schrager
13-May-2017, 21:12
Hello,

I have use this week outdated polaroid 55 B&W from 1986 with good results !!!
and I've used the atomic-x with good results...it's nice film!

vdonovan
14-May-2017, 13:01
I have been considering trying out their Atomic X and the Mono developer as well but haven't gone there yet. Most who have used the Atomic X film seem to like it.

I'm a big fan of Atomic X. I love the tonal range and characteristic curve, plus it's reasonably priced!

AuditorOne
14-May-2017, 21:46
Does anyone know if the negative in the New55 film packets is Atomic X? I have several packets from the original kickstarter project that were negative only. I have never used them until the other day. When I tried a couple it seems the developer packet has dried out. I am thinking of disassembling them and pulling out the unused 4x5 negative, but I don't know what film was used.

peter schrager
14-May-2017, 22:26
Does anyone know if the negative in the New55 film packets is Atomic X? I have several packets from the original kickstarter project that were negative only. I have never used them until the other day. When I tried a couple it seems the developer packet has dried out. I am thinking of disassembling them and pulling out the unused 4x5 negative, but I don't know what film was used.
why don't you contact new55 and ask them??/

AuditorOne
14-May-2017, 23:40
I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks.

EdSawyer
15-May-2017, 06:15
It is, yes.

AuditorOne
16-May-2017, 11:20
It is, yes.

Thank you.

peter schrager
16-May-2017, 16:44
Dang...it was quite obvious but now you know for sure

AuditorOne
16-May-2017, 17:57
Dang...it was quite obvious but now you know for sure

You are a lot of help!

:D :D

I thought I had heard something like that back during their struggles to get New55 of the ground, but my memory...she ain't what she used to be.

peter schrager
16-May-2017, 19:32
if you support film and new55 that's all that matters!!
best, peter

AuditorOne
21-May-2017, 18:00
From my perspective it is still very much a beta product. Since the company is still having financial difficulties, the beta period is lasting much longer than some would expect.

I could swear there is an echo in here somewhere...

:D

Norway
16-Jun-2017, 01:58
<iframe src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/892575418/new55-pn-quality-improvements/widget/card.html?v=2" width="220" height="420" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Degroto
23-Jun-2017, 02:12
I have to say I have fairly consostent results with all the packs I used. Sure the spread is not always spot on but I don't mind about that. With the new kickstarter they want to address the spread, the stop and the positive. It is clearly not a film for everyone but for my purpose it is an excellent film. It teaches me to see the perfection in imperfect photo's. Anyways here is an example:
1) scan of negative

2)scan of positive

David Luttmann
23-Jun-2017, 12:31
Something about the film I love....the imperfections!