PDA

View Full Version : online resources for learning to print

Tim Meisburger
28-Aug-2015, 19:01
Being overseas has meant that I have never had an opportunity to take a printing course or workshop, or even work in a darkroom with an experienced printer. Thus all I know I have gleaned from books and online resources. A lot of stuff online is simply too basic, or poorly produced. The best I have found are listed below, but if you have other suggestions please add them here.

Andrea Calabresi - Darkroom Tutorial #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woXZb8gjG4o This short tutorial explains how to determine correct exposure and contrast filter using an understandable and easily repeatable process. I really like it.

Black and White Darkroom Printing Techniques - Lynda.com - To view this requires signing up for a trial membership with Lynda.com. Most of their courses are digital-related (Photoshop, etc.), so if you are interested in that you might find a lot of stuff on their site you like. For photography, I'm all analog, so I only did the trial. This is a course with about fifteen 10 minute episodes, and is the best thing I have seen for beginners, and also includes a very good explanation of split contrast printing. It will be interesting to compare this approach to Andrea's single filter approach described in the video above.

I'm distracted these days by wet plate and camera-building, but as soon as I get this out of my system I plan to spend a lot more time in the darkroom exploring the negatives I have been making over the last five years, so I am open to learning whatever I can. So, if you know of other good resources, please add them here.

sun of sand
28-Aug-2015, 21:25
Careful consideration and practice
Don't think anyone needs any more and frankly whatever someone teaches you will still require you do the same
Cut out the middle man

This is always sounding more to me like
How can I print to look most like someone already known to be good rather than how do I get better myself

Make the water look wet necessitates knowing what looks wet not just the techniques used in making it look wet on one negative shown in the class

Most of the time you want to accentuate the tonality
Micro contrast
Differentiating similar tones on the print
Heightening drama

You have to know what looks dramatic
Ain't nobody going to teach you that in a workshop

I invented split contrast printing within
Well, shortly after getting my first enlarger
I wasn't the first
But I had no knowledge of it before doing it the first time

Tim Meisburger
28-Aug-2015, 23:44
Actually, I defined a topic for this thread and asked specifically for recommendations of online resources. If you are unable to address the topic please refrain from posting. Thank you.

LabRat
29-Aug-2015, 01:53
Some of the major university programs have little to no cost online photo programs... Check with them...

Also, is "haikusque" a word!?!!!!

Good luck!!!

Steve K

bob carnie
29-Aug-2015, 05:50
Hi Tim

I am about 1 month away from posting a large number of videos about printing on my website. I am hoping they will be up before Sept 10th, you may be able to glean something from them. www.bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

Bob

Actually, I defined a topic for this thread and asked specifically for recommendations of online resources. If you are unable to address the topic please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Tim Meisburger
29-Aug-2015, 06:49
Thanks Bob. I'm looking forward to that.

sun of sand
29-Aug-2015, 09:10
Actually since this site is public and we all know there are no rules limiting discussion when within the TOS anywhere in the internet you'd be hard pressed to get me under any sort of violation unless perhaps I chose to go completely left field on you and discuss mating rituals

Besides
I did give online printing pointers
No need for web addresses
I'm my own

If large format photography forums printing sub forum isn't a good enough resource to attain pointers and help in printing

Wtf?

"A very good explanation of split contrast printing"

I invented it on my own probably within a week of getting an enlarger!
I did not need any cogent coherent concise explanation cause I went and experimented on what seemed common sense

If a paper can be any grade=it can be multiple grades within a single print=now its time to play
Now its yours

sun of sand
29-Aug-2015, 09:32
I didn't know that in order to learn you must promise to review your teachers when done
Mini lff printing resource review?
Is this a thread on learning to print better...when time permits from your other stuff
Or is it to hold an intellectual discussion on what isn't very intellectual- printing
I really couldn't tell last night and now less sure

I'm off to find the heroes of this profession who were self-taught
You've read books
Watched videos

But you aren't sure of yourself because you've never been to a workshop before
Been the student
Or should we say
Disciple
Of some learned master

Its printmaking.

Seriously
Review this

"I've read books watched videos done all these things"
Then you review a YouTube bid that shows you how to arrive at proper contrast and exposure length.

Not jiving. You watched a vid of what you had already read. Simplest stuff yet you really like it.
How is relearning the so.plest of things advancing you as a printer when you came in beleaguered by the fact that so much is too basic

Cmon man
Get serious

sun of sand
29-Aug-2015, 10:03
http://www.photoquotes.com/printableshowquotes.aspx?id=17

Elliot erwitt quotes on printing

Word of master or Lynda.com
I don't know

Nothing wrong with seeing things done but again
If you can't see for yourself you don't have much chance in applying what you've been shown
How would you know when that technique is needed?
Seriously.

You're never going to shortcut the practice and I firmly believe that with the practice comes the techniques
Perfect practice
Which means experimentation
Constant
Not just daily straight prints in the darkroom

sun of sand
29-Aug-2015, 13:57
http://phototechmag.com/patience-practice-and-printing/

I just looked this up for you
Jim sexton negative to finished print

Does not take you on a trip from step 1 through to 30
If you look you can see what's been done
It then is really up to you to duplicate it using whichever techniques you have
I didn't know sexton used bleach but looking at the final print I felt he had
Later in the text he reveals he did some selective bleaching

I see a lot of flat contrast prints around online and can't help but think people equate that with platinum or such and since they've read how beautiful its tonality is have come to believe flat prints are the standard of elegance
The G1 lie

Bill Burk
30-Aug-2015, 08:53
Hi Tim

I am about 1 month away from posting a large number of videos about printing on my website. I am hoping they will be up before Sept 10th, you may be able to glean something from them. www.bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

Bob

Looking forward to it too... I can't help thinking of this song for the soundtrack of the video where you cover dodge and burn... (The duck's yas yas yas).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5NJpeLg7s

bob carnie
30-Aug-2015, 10:43
Actually they will all be quite hokey but from the heart... I was lucky enough to get my good friend Brad Pitt do all the talking.

Looking forward to it too... I can't help thinking of this song for the soundtrack of the video where you cover dodge and burn... (The duck's yas yas yas).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5NJpeLg7s

Fr. Mark
31-Aug-2015, 09:06
Experience is great, especially other people's experience, especially when you are trying something new. It saves time/money etc getting to the point where you can put your attention on "your own thing." You don't have to be in Thailand as the OP is to feel isolated being a LF film photographer who does everything analog.

I've appreciated pointers to resources that are between really basic or advanced/assume you know all the jargon that are worthwhile.

My mom always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, say nothing. There are so few of us these days doing film, let alone LF, I think we should dial back the sarcasm and disdain a few stops if we can't eliminate it completely.

sun of sand
31-Aug-2015, 18:38
My mom says to not look a gift horse in the mouth so to be negative or dismissive of a persons video or site aiding viewers in their printing technique solely based on its production value is a little
misguided

Give a person a fish
Teach person to fish
Have student decline lesson cause pole is old and not high end and people are watching

Bill Burk
31-Aug-2015, 18:55
Give a person a fish
Teach person to fish
Light a person on fire he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Brad Pitt! Wow Bob (or are you joking and it's really Dinesh?).

Do you print for him too? That would impress me. Not that you would be doing his prints (that would be neat though), but I'd be impressed with Brad Pitt if he is smart enough to pick you.

sun of sand
31-Aug-2015, 20:25
Light a person on fire he'll be warm the rest of his life.

sun of sand
31-Aug-2015, 20:35
Here is a better less offensive one that also pertains to the threats

“Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.”

Bill Burk
31-Aug-2015, 21:11
By the way, sun of sand, I always enjoy when you get involved in discussions pertaining to art...

So I don't wear out my welcome... This is an inspiring short presentation that can inspire you. Every time I see it, I want to get out the Farmer's Reducer because that's a technique I don't use.

http://www.laboratoire-tirages-argentiques.com/prestation-eng.html

Cor
1-Sep-2015, 05:03
Tim,

Did you perhaps meet Mark Nelson, he is Bangkok too. I met him there 3 years ago. He used to run a B&W printing service in Chicago if I remember it correctly. Maybe he can be of help? If you have not met him yet, PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

Good luck,

Best,

Cor

Tim Meisburger
1-Sep-2015, 08:02
Thanks Cor. have been printing for a long time. I more or less taught myself, and posted the links because I thought they would be useful for people in the situation I was in five years ago.

I think I know by reputation the guy you mention, but I live outside the city, so don't get much chance to fraternise with the folks downtown.

Liquid Artist
1-Sep-2015, 08:13
Tim, silly question but do you happen to have a darkroom set up for up to 5x7" negatives?

The reason I ask is I just happen to know someone with 30+ years experience going to Thailand soon.

Although I don't know if he's going to Bangkok, he may be and if he is you may be able to work something out with him.

bob carnie
2-Sep-2015, 06:28
Ok Tim - go to my site www.bobcarnieprintmaking.ca into Lab Services - Film Processing.

Here is the first test video and is pretty much like how the next 10 -20 videos are going to look like..

These were all shot by a father son team, basically over a winter spent Sundays while I worked to make these videos. They are not polished, neither am I , but I was lucky to get Brad Pitt to join us to do the talking.

adelorenzo
2-Sep-2015, 10:50
This series of B&W darkroom videos is one of the best I've seen. Doesn't hurt that the presenter is really engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtZ4nArrDv6wTNeX-7BE23eiDxK3PNf3o

Here's the B&W printing episode, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTfoUrMTmA&list=PLtZ4nArrDv6wTNeX-7BE23eiDxK3PNf3o&index=14

bob carnie
14-Sep-2015, 11:55
Ok Tim

Lots of videos up now on various topics... I was really glad Brad Pitt helped me out with all of these, hope they are helpful, and always open to questions.
bobcarnieprintmaking.ca you may need to refresh the site.

Bob