PDA

View Full Version : Jem Southam in Landskrona

Struan Gray
28-Aug-2015, 09:20
I just spent the afternoon at the Landskrona Fotofestival. Lots of great stuff, including some wonderful vintage photography from Czechoslovakia (disclaimer: I helped to prepare the catalogue, but I'm not biased). That famous Sudek glass of water is *small* - I had somehow assumed it was an 8x10 contact.

Best in show, for this reviewer, and running into September even after the main festival ends this weekend, was a selection of work from various projects by Jem Southam. Executive summary: if you're at all interested in the best LF can do, and you're anywhere near Southern Sweden in the next month or so, run and see them while you have the chance.

I've loved Southam's work for ages, but I've only ever seen it online. His thinking, way of working, and deep engagement with the undramatic landscape all appeal to me on many levels. The prints in person are a different world again. That is always said about prints of all kinds, but for me at least it was especially true of these. Southam's work makes full use of the tonality and detail offered by LF, and the experience of approaching one of his large prints from across the room is simply magical. I expected to be enjoyably charmed, and was floored.

Steven Tribe
28-Aug-2015, 12:50
Only a short 10km off our usual route to the weekend house, so we will try and make it, Thanks for info.

mdm
28-Aug-2015, 16:49
I have his book, would love to see his prints. Bit far though. Hans Strand too.