PDA

View Full Version : Old Car City

ndg
27-Aug-2015, 18:54
I had read about it. Recently, I got the chance to drive down to White, GA to check it. Old Car City.
http://oldcarcityusa.com
About 34 acres with around 6 miles of trails and 4000 plus old cars - Studebakers, Desotos, Lincolns, Model Ts - rusting away in all their glory.
The combination of vegetation and metal, intertwined and coexisting since 1931 is almost poetic.
Dean is the owner and inherited the place from his dad. He ran is as a dealership till about 10 years ago when he turned it into a paradise for photographers.
After walking like a mile with my pack, my back started acting up again and so I switched to my Nikon. It actually proved to be a good decision. One cannot carry enough film for all that needs to be captured
Below are one of the two shots I made on my 8x10 on Xray film (Ektascan):
They are open Wed - Sat, form 9 - 4. Admission for anyone who wants to take pictures is $25, else $15.
Wear long pants and take a bug spray. Right across Old Car city is the Wes Mans restaurant - nice burgers.
If you live in or near Georgia, a visit is a must. If you are visiting Atlanta, drive up - it's not too far.
It is really worth the visit.

Mark Sampson
29-Aug-2015, 16:26
an inventive way to re-purpose a junkyard. apparently, more profit now from photographers than old-car restorers...

dsphotog
30-Aug-2015, 08:20
I've seen rat-rods... That's a root-rod.

cdholden
30-Aug-2015, 14:26
Gotta find time for that road trip!

Jmarmck
30-Aug-2015, 14:31
Ah, it is above the gnat line too, a definite plus. I don't go up I-75 too much though.

Corran
2-Sep-2015, 11:48
Nice, I've heard of this place in passing but nothing specific, thanks for posting!

We should have a GA LF meetup sometime there!! I'm in Atlanta several times a year - that place is 1.5 hours from my parents' place.

AtlantaTerry
3-Sep-2015, 00:29
Nice, I've heard of this place in passing but nothing specific, thanks for posting!

We should have a GA LF meetup sometime there!! I'm in Atlanta several times a year - that place is 1.5 hours from my parents' place.

Count me in!

AtlantaTerry[]gmail.com

Corran
3-Sep-2015, 12:43
Count me in!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?124996