PDA

View Full Version : Gnass 4x5 Cascade Film Holders

Kirk Gittings
26-Aug-2015, 09:04
So I have had one of these (blue on the left) and love it. I keep it in my cooler loaded>stick it in my pack and when shooting hang it from my tripod-very handy. Designed really for three it will carry 6 holders doubled up-two in each pocket.

I've been looking for another and found what I thought was a couple more at Igor's. But they are a version I have never seen before. Designed for 8 holders they will actually hold 16 doubled up in the pocket. Anyone ever seen these big ones before??138903

they stack up to look like this:138904

Bruce Watson
27-Aug-2015, 05:16
I've been looking for another and found what I thought was a couple more at Igor's. But they are a version I have never seen before. Designed for 8 holders they will actually hold 16 doubled up in the pocket. Anyone ever seen these big ones before??

Yes.

I've got the version with 10 pockets, for 10 film holders. I don't think I'd want to use them with filmholders "doubled up". It would be both too heavy and too awkward. But who am I to say? I keep my holders in zip lock bags -- talk about awkward. But clean and nearly dust free!

I suspect the smaller version (your blue one) is actually designed for Kodak Readyload holders. I've got one of those too. But it could be a single wide version of the 8 or 10 pocket design. IDK.

I don't know how LFers can work without these things. I don't know what happened to Gnass, or why someone else didn't step up to make/sell this type of case. They are wonderful and make life much easier in the field. At least for me. Just sayin'.

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2015, 07:41
Ten Pocket version too!!!! Wow I didn't know about that one either. I think you are right about the Blue originally being for Readyloads. I seem to remember that's what I originally bought it for way back when-works great for regular holders too. As per the bigger ones. I'll have to do some testing to see if indeed doubling up is to awkward and heavy. I also need to add a pocket for my Postit Notes. I wrap my holders in a kind of Saran Wrap so there is nothing to really get hung up inserting them into the Gnass.

FYI PhotoBackPacker makes one that he has a large inventory of- Its well made but a bit of overkill for my purposes.

Bruce Watson
27-Aug-2015, 11:56
I wrap my holders in a kind of Saran Wrap so there is nothing to really get hung up inserting them into the Gnass.

You might want to try the one quart size of ziplock freezer bag (or of course a version made of anti-static plastic). Fits the 5x4 holders perfectly, easy to use with the Gnass cases. I've done it for more than a decade with nary a problem. This was part of my "war on dirt", and it really helped me. But no, no one ever actually wins that fight. :mad:

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2015, 12:03
I used to use bags but no more-doubling them up with a ziplock bag would cause them to be hard to insert. I have used the commercial saran wrap stuff for maybe 15 years now with great success. The saran wrap type stuff hugs the holders and the result is no larger that the film holders themselves.