PDA

View Full Version : Lens board/tool problem (?)

cluttered
21-Aug-2015, 04:55
I've recently bought a nice 150mm Rodenstock, which I now want to mount on a Chamonix (Linhof-style) lens board.

The lens in question is already mounted on a small lensboard, 8cm x 8cm. So I want to remove the lens from that lens board and mount it on my Chamonix lens board. But it looks like my lens tool is too wide for this task; it works fine on my other lenses and lens boards, but this particular small lens board has a raised ring on the back which is just a bit too narrow to allow me to get my lens tool into place. (See attached photo.)

The retaining ring is too tight to allow me to just use my fingers to remove it, and I can't get this lens tool into place because of the size. I've also tried to gently use a screwdriver in one of the retaining ring notches in order to loosen it, but it's too tightly attached for that. As far as I can see, my lens tool is pretty much the "usual" size, I can't see any for sale which are usefully narrower.

I can't see any other options, other than somehow grinding down that raised ring on the back of the lens board or to modify my lens tool to make it narrower. Given that I don't need this small lens board I'm leaning towards the first option.

Anyone got any better ideas? (Hopefully I've just missed something simple!)

Keith Pitman
21-Aug-2015, 05:25
It looks like you need an adjustable lens spanner wrench for this lens. Here's an inexpensive example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Spanner-Wrench-For-Camera-Lens-Repair-Opening-Open-Tool-Stainless-Steel-/321748257474?hash=item4ae9b0cac2

Bob Salomon
21-Aug-2015, 05:55
The Rodenstock tool that you have fits all Copal and Compur and Prontor 0, 1 and 3 size shutters. Is your lens in something else?

Jim Jones
21-Aug-2015, 05:55
I've firmly held the lens board while engaging both slots in the retaining ring with two screwdrivers. It works much better than using only one screwdriver. I've also marred some retainers and lens boards, so be very careful.

Michael Graves
21-Aug-2015, 06:25
It looks like you need an adjustable lens spanner wrench for this lens. Here's an inexpensive example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Spanner-Wrench-For-Camera-Lens-Repair-Opening-Open-Tool-Stainless-Steel-/321748257474?hash=item4ae9b0cac2

That one is decent for most lenses. I purchased the one on the site below, because the availability of both flat blades and pointed tips makes it far more versatile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Camera-Lens-Repair-Spanner-Wrench-Open-Tool-for-Canon-Nikon-Sony-US-STOCK-/291252545134?hash=item43d001266e

Jon Shiu
21-Aug-2015, 07:17
If there is no indexing pin sticking out the back of the shutter, you can often turn the shutter in front by hand to unscrew.

Jon

Alan Gales
21-Aug-2015, 08:18
The Rodenstock tool that you have fits all Copal and Compur and Prontor 0, 1 and 3 size shutters. Is your lens in something else?

Bob, I think the OP is saying that his tool fits the retaining ring but he can't get it in position due to the design of the back of the lens board. The diameter of the raised circle is too small to allow the Rodenstock tool to fit.

You could take a screwdriver and fit it in one of the retaining ring slots and gently tap the end of your screwdriver with a hammer. That will loosen it.

Bob Salomon
21-Aug-2015, 08:49
make sure that the correct end of the tool is being used.

hoffner
21-Aug-2015, 09:55
That one is decent for most lenses. I purchased the one on the site below, because the availability of both flat blades and pointed tips makes it far more versatile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Camera-Lens-Repair-Spanner-Wrench-Open-Tool-for-Canon-Nikon-Sony-US-STOCK-/291252545134?hash=item43d001266e

Indeed, I can only concur with you. Such a tool is a must for a LF photographer even more than a dark cloth that is easily improvised in the field unlike this tool.

Tin Can
21-Aug-2015, 10:18
I see a lot of rear glass damage, which I think is from tool slippage. I see slip jitter scratches on the ring when the tool jumps out.

Be real careful using these tools and make sure you are sitting down in good light and have a film grip on a fully tightened tool.

Some may want to wear one glove and work on a soft pad.

I fully open the aperture and set the shutter to T and keep it open, just in case of a slip which could poke a hole in shutter leaves. Makes for a bad day...

Always first try Jon's suggestion, it may unscrew by bare hand.

Michael Graves
21-Aug-2015, 11:29
I see a lot of rear glass damage, which I think is from tool slippage. I see slip jitter scratches on the ring when the tool jumps out.

Be real careful using these tools and make sure you are sitting down in good light and have a film grip on a fully tightened tool.

Some may want to wear one glove and work on a soft pad.

I fully open the aperture and set the shutter to T and keep it open, just in case of a slip which could poke a hole in shutter leaves. Makes for a bad day...

Always first try Jon's suggestion, it may unscrew by bare hand.

Before I bought that spanner wrench for which I posted the link earlier, I made far more than my share of those "jitter scratches" on the rings and on the back of lens boards. Knock on wood, I haven't done it since getting that wrench. Fortunately, I've never damaged a lens element.

Now that I've said that, I wipe out the next lens I touch.

Alan Gales
21-Aug-2015, 13:58
Before I bought that spanner wrench for which I posted the link earlier, I made far more than my share of those "jitter scratches" on the rings and on the back of lens boards. Knock on wood, I haven't done it since getting that wrench. Fortunately, I've never damaged a lens element.

Now that I've said that, I wipe out the next lens I touch.

There is certainly something to be said about using the "correct" tool for the job over tools that work.

Dave Wooten
21-Aug-2015, 14:02
I've recently bought a nice 150mm Rodenstock, which I now want to mount on a Chamonix (Linhof-style) lens board.

The lens in question is already mounted on a small lensboard, 8cm x 8cm. So I want to remove the lens from that lens board and mount it on my Chamonix lens board. But it looks like my lens tool is too wide for this task; it works fine on my other lenses and lens boards, but this particular small lens board has a raised ring on the back which is just a bit too narrow to allow me to get my lens tool into place. (See attached photo.)

The retaining ring is too tight to allow me to just use my fingers to remove it, and I can't get this lens tool into place because of the size. I've also tried to gently use a screwdriver in one of the retaining ring notches in order to loosen it, but it's too tightly attached for that. As far as I can see, my lens tool is pretty much the "usual" size, I can't see any for sale which are usefully narrower.

I can't see any other options, other than somehow grinding down that raised ring on the back of the lens board or to modify my lens tool to make it narrower. Given that I don't need this small lens board I'm leaning towards the first option.

Anyone got any better ideas? (Hopefully I've just missed something simple!)

Go to SK Grimes site and get the spanners they manufacture. A worthwhile investment.

Michael Dodd
21-Aug-2015, 14:37
+1 for the SK Grimes tool

cluttered
21-Aug-2015, 14:56
Thanks for all the replies. The retaining ring seems to be on quite tight, so I'm not confident that I can unscrew it by hand from the front. I think I'll just buy one of the tools mentioned in the the replies, I wasn't aware that such things existed, but now I do :)

Jac@stafford.net
21-Aug-2015, 15:33
Go to SK Grimes site and get the spanners they manufacture. A worthwhile investment.

I hope Grimes has increased the strength of their spanner. Mine bent at the tips right away.

Roger Thoms
22-Aug-2015, 07:36
I hope Grimes has increased the strength of their spanner. Mine bent at the tips right away.

I hope you contacted Grimes, sounds like you got a bad one. Or the retaining ring must have been very tight. Or both. Mine has never had a problem, that's the version with the flat tips btw.

Roger

TXFZ1
22-Aug-2015, 07:55

Can you rotate the flat blades or are they fixed in orientation?

David

Jac@stafford.net
22-Aug-2015, 08:35
I hope you contacted Grimes, sounds like you got a bad one. Or the retaining ring must have been very tight. Or both. Mine has never had a problem, that's the version with the flat tips btw.

I did not contact Grimes. I bought it shortly after they announced the product. That was long enough ago that I had the strength to bend it back then. :) Couldn't do that today. All is good. Grimes is okay by me.

Michael Graves
22-Aug-2015, 15:28
Can you rotate the flat blades or are they fixed in orientation?

David

They're fixed. Can you give me an example of when you might want them rotated to a different angle? I'm having trouble picturing that.

TXFZ1
23-Aug-2015, 07:07
They're fixed. Can you give me an example of when you might want them rotated to a different angle? I'm having trouble picturing that.

Thanks, no reason to think of, just in my minds eye, I saw the blades 90 deg out of position when I first looked.

David

Jim Andrada
23-Aug-2015, 20:08
+ 2 for the Grimes tools

cluttered
23-Aug-2015, 21:37
If I was to go for the Grimes tool, would it be better to go with the flat tips or the pointed tips? I'm guessing that either would be ok for my current problem, but which option is more useful generally?

Jim Andrada
26-Aug-2015, 19:08
I use them both depending on the lens. Probably use the flat tip more often, though

Jim Noel
27-Aug-2015, 06:56
A piece of wood with two finishing nails driven through just far enough to allow the tool to clear the raised ring will do the job with no damage. Of course thenails must be the same distance apart as the notches in the ring.

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2015, 08:54
I simply took a pair of right-angle needle-nosed pliers and ground down the tips to the appropriate size.

Michael Graves
27-Aug-2015, 10:26
Thanks, no reason to think of, just in my minds eye, I saw the blades 90 deg out of position when I first looked.

David

Well, they fall into the right position when I'm using it, and that's what matters to me. One of the first things I did was cut myself a small block of wood have my brother and law use his router to cut a lengthwise groove along it. The blades, especially the pointed ones, aren't all that comfortable when you press the palm of your hand against them. The groove is deep enough for the opposing blades to nestle in and I can grip the tool comfortably.