PDA

View Full Version : Folmer & Schwing Co 7X17 Film Folder Dimensions, Fit?

Tin Can
18-Aug-2015, 13:07
As a fan of 7x17, I have come to understand Korona 7X17 film holders do not fit Folmer & Schwing 7X17.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences? Precise measurements?

Which holders do fit?

I believe S&S 7X17 holders were made to fit Korona 7X17. I can collaborate that with both types in possession and tested in Korona.

This camera http://piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/fsbanq.htm is the one I wonder about holders.

Jim Noel
18-Aug-2015, 13:53
Randy,
The dimensions are the same. The difference is that Folmer and Schwing holders have no ridge as a light trap. I have taken one and added a ridge by gluing on a split dowel.It has served well for 8-10 years.

Jim

Tin Can
18-Aug-2015, 17:10
Randy,
The dimensions are the same. The difference is that Folmer and Schwing holders have no ridge as a light trap. I have taken one and added a ridge by gluing on a split dowel.It has served well for 8-10 years.

Jim

Thanks Jim, so one could also cut a groove in a F&S camera?

And use Korona holders I imagine.

I am just exploring options.

Oren Grad
19-Aug-2015, 07:17
Korona holders have a ridge, Folmer holders have a groove - plus, of course, the cameras are the reverse, respectively. My preference would be to leave an F&S camera alone and either try to find matching holders, or remodel some holders to fit rather than the camera; YMMV. But I think in 7x17 the available holders are much more skewed toward Korona-style than they are in 12x20, where F&S seems to be a bit more common. So that might sway a decision.

Jim Noel
19-Aug-2015, 11:10
If you are a careful woodworker I see no reason to not cut a groove in the F&S other than it might hamper a future sale.

Tin Can
19-Aug-2015, 15:02
If you are a careful woodworker I see no reason to not cut a groove in the F&S other than it might hamper a future sale.

That's what I think, do a surgical cut to one camera.

Or modify many holders to fit and they become worth....less to Korona users.

I brought this up, as the seller who sold me 7x17 S&S Korona style holders was also selling 7X17 F&S. He maintained they did not fit. So I was confused and unknowledgeable.

I'm in no hurry to prove all this by ownership. In case a certain somebody is watching...

I have run into similar disparity with 2X3 slotted Bag Mags which were modified by adding a bump, so they fit modern cameras.

Thanks again, Jim Noel.

karl french
23-Sep-2015, 17:15
I don't know about your camera, but my F&S 7x17 takes holders that are wider than Korona holders. I would say original F&S 7x17 holders are 1/2 an inch wider than Korona holders. Even so, I'm going to modify the camera to take holders with a rib lock rather than a grove. It's just much easier to find Korona style holders. We'll see how it works out considering the holder does not fill the aperture in the camera back entirely.

I suppose I should add that my camera is the earlier version with all metal knobs as opposed to the later version with the two wood knobs. I don't know if the back changed at all during that transition.

Tin Can
23-Sep-2015, 17:37
I don't know about your camera, but my F&S 7x17 takes holders that are wider than Korona holders. I would say original F&S 7x17 holders are 1/2 an inch wider than Korona holders. Evan so, I'm going to modify the camera to take holders with a rib lock rather than a grove. It's just much easier to find Korona style holders. We'll see how it works out considering the holder does not fill the aperture in the camera back entirely.

I suppose I should add that my camera is the earlier version with all metal knobs as opposed to the later version with the two wood knobs. I don't know if the back changed at all during that transition.

Let's make measurements and post here?

All the usual? Including T and rib.

I almost have time for this next week. The weather is too nice here for indoor anything.

William Whitaker
23-Sep-2015, 18:02
At the risk of a double-post (my first one got lost somewhere), I made this mod to my 12x20 Folmer & Schwing camera a few years back. I made a jig from MDF and used a router to cut the groove for some S&S holders. It was nerve wracking, but successful. The S&S holders now fit the Folmer as if they were made for each other. And the fit is good. As far as I can tell, the focus is right on. This was a 12x20. A 7x17 should be similar, but may have a few quirks. Plan, plan, plan and go slowly. You only get one chance.

Yes Karl, your camera..:)

karl french
24-Sep-2015, 13:44
The "T" distance is off as well between the F&S back and the S&S (Korona) holders. It seems shimming the ground glass 1/16" is in order.