PDA

View Full Version : Kaiser Cable Release

Charris
18-Aug-2015, 06:16
Hi there,

I just bought a Kaiser cable release for my Fujinon 210mm lens and it does not seem to fit into the cable hole.

I assumed that the cable release is a standard fit. Any idea why this does not fit? Is this a common problem?

Jac@stafford.net
18-Aug-2015, 06:30
It should fit. If you can, try another modern brand release and if does not fit then the issue is with the Fujinon cable attachment which can be replaced or fixed.

N Dhananjay
18-Aug-2015, 06:52
Maybe the threads on the cable release socket have been stripped through rough use. Can be replaced easily enough. DJ

Jim Noel
18-Aug-2015, 08:04
Maybe the threads on the cable release socket have been stripped through rough use. Can be replaced easily enough. DJ

Or just the opposite, an old cable release could have broken and left the threads in the shutter.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Aug-2015, 08:38
Or just the opposite, an old cable release could have broken and left the threads in the shutter.

That would be a real bummer. I think the shutter in question uses an external cable socket which can be removed and possibly the remaining bits could be pushed out from the back (down) side.

tonyowen
20-Aug-2015, 01:34
I had a similar problem with an xenar lens. Careful examination showed some brass coloured material inside the tapped hole on the shutter.
Very carefully with a blunt tapered instrument I was able to dislodge the material - by 'unscrewing' the blunt tapered instrument!!
Where or what is was I do not know because when it came out it 'disappeared!!!.
The other possibility is that the tapered thread on your cable release is shorter than normal - with the very tip missing.
Again once I'd removed whatever it was from my socket I still had problems with the cable release I was using - It fitted but it was a hassle to engage the thread.
Subsequently I purchased another cable release (this one lockable). There is a discernible difference in the length of the thread, which the newer one having a 'sharper' end than the older one. See image
Another possibility is the angle of engagement - if your lens is slightly sunk then it can be awkward to align the tapered thread with the socket on the shutter.
In addition the thread on the cable release forms part of a knurled 'cylinder' which can be very difficult to fit into the shutter socket if your fingers are big and if the shutter is sunk on the lens plate. I found that taping the 'cylinder' to the 'adjacent plastic sleeve' meant I could engage the cable release more easily.
Have fun
regards
Tony

IanG
20-Aug-2015, 05:19
I bought 2 cable releases from a reputable dealer, their own brand, neither would fit the majority of my shutter releases so I took them back. Check the shutter release thread though it's not unknown for there to be a broken tip in the thread as Tony says.

Ian