PDA

View Full Version : Shortest lens on bag bellows

Dave Wooten
14-Aug-2015, 09:11
Image examples using short lenses 4x5 with bag bellows?

Grandagon 35-55 possible?

Dave Wooten
14-Aug-2015, 09:32
I have an option to purchase the above lenses at a reasonable price from a closed studio.

djdister
14-Aug-2015, 09:53
You would be running up against the physical limitations of the camera -- it depends on the 4x5 frame/standards more so than the bag bellows. What 4x5 camera would you put these lenses on?

B.S.Kumar
14-Aug-2015, 10:05
I have used a 35mm f/4.5 Grandagon on a recessed lensboard with the Sinar double pleated wide angle bellows on Sinar F2/C2/P2/X cameras without any problems.

Sorry I'm traveling and don't have access to my image files.

Kumar

Jac@stafford.net
14-Aug-2015, 10:08
I have used a 35mm f/4.5 Grandagon on a recessed lensboard with the Sinar double pleated wide angle bellows on Sinar F2/C2/P2/X cameras without any problems.

I would like to see a full 4x5 frame using that lens. I have the same lens only on 6x12.

ic-racer
14-Aug-2015, 10:08
It is possible under the correct conditions of camera type, subject distance and specific lens in question.

Dave Wooten
14-Aug-2015, 10:14
Thanks I am not concerned if lens does not cover the full 4 x 5. Just let the circle fall wherever. I do notice wisner 4x5 specs state with bag bellows it will close down to zero mm

ic-racer
14-Aug-2015, 10:23
If that is zero Centigrade, best not take the bellows out in freezing weather :) . Perhaps you meant 'zero distance' which could mean the standards are touching. You need to know the minimum distance between the groundglass and the front surface of the lensboard and see that it is less than the "Flange Focal" distance of the lens in question. You can also note the "Back Focus" distance to see how close the rear element comes to the ground glass at infinity.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Aug-2015, 10:44
Thanks I am not concerned if lens does not cover the full 4 x 5. Just let the circle fall wherever. I do notice wisner 4x5 specs state with bag bellows it will close down to zero degrees?

FWIWl, from my notes the flange-focal-distance for the 35mm Grandagon is 43.2 mm. I could measure it again if necessary.

Dave Wooten
14-Aug-2015, 10:57
Thanks, it should be possible, I should have thought of f focal

Paul Metcalf
14-Aug-2015, 10:59
Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but here are some pics of my Wisner 4x5 Tech Field with a bag bellows. The first image is with both standards touching and the front standard upright (around 4" from lens plate to film plane); second is with the front standard tilted back and is essentially up against the ground glass (about 1.5" from lens plate to film plane); third and fourth pics are with my 72mm XL and in this configuration the rear lens element is up against the ground glass. So I guess depending on the size of the rear element on your lens you could put it onto the film but not sure how useful that is, I tend to use a fair amount of rise/fall and/or tilt when using my really wide lenses. I just noticed that I have the XL on a recessed lensboard LOL.

Dave Wooten
14-Aug-2015, 11:19
Thanks Paul! I was hoping it was possible to use the lenses on the tech. I have a Wisner tech but I do not right now have access to it. Is that a custom recessed board?

B.S.Kumar
14-Aug-2015, 21:51
I would like to see a full 4x5 frame using that lens. I have the same lens only on 6x12.

No, it won't cover 4x5, but is good for 6x12 as you note.

Kumar

Paul Metcalf
15-Aug-2015, 07:15
Hey Dave - that's not a custom lens board but I don't remember where I got that lens board from, it's been probably 15 years (maybe midwest photo which is where I got the XL lens from?). I don't think it's a wisner product and I forget the other brands that share the same format (maybe wista?), it's a metal board. I'll dig around my paper junk and see if I can find a receipt, but it's been a while LOL! Another key thing to watch out for with the wisner tech and wide angle lenses is the rear-standard rail getting in the image. I think with my 72mm the rail is just outside of the image area, something like a 35mm I think would for sure be in the image unless you can get enough front standard rise (which might be hard with everything packed in tight).

Dave Wooten
15-Aug-2015, 07:25
Thanks again Paul. My 5/7 d dorf boards fit on my 4x5 Wisner.