PDA

View Full Version : New Packaging from Kodak

Robert Kalman
13-Aug-2015, 13:12
In case anyone cares about mundane stuff like this...8x10 Tri-X now comes packaged sans red logo, the tone of yellow coating on the box is slightly different, and the physical box actually feels sturdier.

Wonder what all this means...

:p

djdister
13-Aug-2015, 13:22
Looks like they are getting ready for new "branding," although a sturdier box is good news...

A_Tabor
13-Aug-2015, 13:26
That someone at Kodak realized they could save a fraction of a cent from every box by skipping printing the Kodak logo on it and they're now buying the same stock material some other company uses in packaging rather than their custom coloured yellow?

Or maybe the guy who usually ran said stamping machine retired and they didn't bother replacing him. I've actually seen one company switch from branded boxes to plain boxes with only branding on the label because the tech who normally fixed the box printer quit and they never replaced him. Saved the company a ton of money actually.

StoneNYC
13-Aug-2015, 13:43
That's odd about the yellow color.

I was in school trying to match that color for some assignment and it was VERY hard as its s combination of red and yellow and orange tones blended. I'm shocked they would haphazardly change it like that. I think it might be a patented color (I don't know but I would suspect that).

It is pretty strange.

Robert Kalman
13-Aug-2015, 13:47
That's odd about the yellow color.

I was in school trying to match that color for some assignment and it was VERY hard as its s combination of red and yellow and orange tones blended. I'm shocked they would haphazardly change it like that. I think it might be a patented color (I don't know but I would suspect that).

It is pretty strange.

The "new yellow" is ever-so-slightly more orange. Subtle, but noticeable.

Sal Santamaura
13-Aug-2015, 14:25
...I'm shocked they would haphazardly change it like that...I'm surprised that you're shocked. This is Eastman Kodak / Kodak Alaris we're talking about. :D

Mark Sampson
13-Aug-2015, 14:32
The 'classical' Kodak yellow is actually a trademarked color. EK used to supply a Pantone card to printing companies and ad agencies to ensure that the the color was accurate; I have one somewhere. I guess they don't think it matters any more, or more likely, there's no one left to QC such things. Sic transit gloria Rochester.

StoneNYC
13-Aug-2015, 15:38
The 'classical' Kodak yellow is actually a trademarked color. EK used to supply a Pantone card to printing companies and ad agencies to ensure that the the color was accurate; I have one somewhere. I guess they don't think it matters any more, or more likely, there's no one left to QC such things. Sic transit gloria Rochester.

I thought it was trademarked, I'm glad to hear I wasn't off-base there.

Well, perhaps with the switch over their supplier got interrupted and this is only temporary and we will see it fixed in subsequent runs?

Daniel Stone
13-Aug-2015, 15:50
It's JUST a box, folks... As long as the contents doesn't suffer, why should the packaging matter in they long run?

Jac@stafford.net
13-Aug-2015, 16:16
I thought it was trademarked, I'm glad to hear I wasn't off-base there.

Years ago I was asked to do this - the right side is the average color of most Kodak 'yellow' colors shown on the web. The left is what Kodak designated. Let the monitor arguments begin! :)

RGB: 255, 183, 15
CMYK: 0, 31, 100, 0

Wayne
13-Aug-2015, 17:16
This is the best news from Kodak in a long time! :)

ic-racer
14-Aug-2015, 10:13
It's JUST a box, folks... As long as the contents doesn't suffer, why should the packaging matter in they long run?

OH!! Is there something in the box? I guess there is, barely. Like mostly air and what, 8 or 10 sheets of film?

John Kasaian
14-Aug-2015, 10:49
Don't get me started on Kodak sheet film packaging :mad:

Howard Tanger
14-Aug-2015, 17:09
It's JUST a box, folks... Do not say that to the packaging engineer; he/she will give you a long lecture on why it does matter. Years ago I worked for Mattel Toys as a material coordinator in charge of the packaging. One time a label for one of the toys arrived from the vendor and the colors did not closely match the engineer's specs. We needed the labels to keep the production line running so it took some hard bargaining to convince the engineer to accept that shipment. Howard Tanger

StoneNYC
14-Aug-2015, 18:41
Do not say that to the packaging engineer; he/she will give you a long lecture on why it does matter. Years ago I worked for Mattel Toys as a material coordinator in charge of the packaging. One time a label for one of the toys arrived from the vendor and the colors did not closely match the engineer's specs. We needed the labels to keep the production line running so it took some hard bargaining to convince the engineer to accept that shipment. Howard Tanger

Yup, these days I'm also a packaging and label sales guy, selling labels to small businesses (like small pet food stores etc, anything with a label on it) and the colors really matter!

Daniel Stone
14-Aug-2015, 18:43
Frankly, I don't give two hoots if it all it said was "product name ...." on the label, and the use by date. I mean, TO ME it's "just a box", but I guess other people get the warm 'n fuzzies when they see all the gold boxes piled high in their freezer... Sorry, other things give me a hard on, like looking at beautiful transparencies(that came from a yellow Kodak box most likely) on a light table ;), or that feeling of "knowing I got the shot" without the need for a digital screen to reinforce my technical abilities :D

just sayin

Do not say that to the packaging engineer; he/she will give you a long lecture on why it does matter. Years ago I worked for Mattel Toys as a material coordinator in charge of the packaging. One time a label for one of the toys arrived from the vendor and the colors did not closely match the engineer's specs. We needed the labels to keep the production line running so it took some hard bargaining to convince the engineer to accept that shipment. Howard Tanger

I agree, in SOME cases it's very much warranted. I don't think this "slip up" would have happened in the heydays of film. But then again, EVERYBODY (had) to shoot film, since that's all there was, so E.K. was making gobs of cash, so they could afford to scrap a bad run of boxes. Nowadays, I think it's in their best interest to simply stay profitable. Heck, the box is STILL a similar(but not exact) shade of yellow, at least it ain't hot pink or aqua blue ;)

-Dan

Andrew O'Neill
14-Aug-2015, 19:25
I cannot afford their film anymore. :( Hello Ilford :)

dsphotog
14-Aug-2015, 21:29
remember the cool metal cans Kodak 35mm film used to come in?

AtlantaTerry
15-Aug-2015, 03:09
remember the cool metal cans Kodak 35mm film used to come in?

120 film, too.

Oh, and the 35mm film cans were thick metal that were painted various colors. I suppose the colors were to designate the kind of film inside. I will bet that someone somewhere around here will have a chart of those colors.

Bruce Barlow
15-Aug-2015, 03:23
120 film, too.

I will bet that someone somewhere around here will have a chart of those colors.

You sayin' we're mostly geezers???? :))))

Sonny, I gots empty TRi-X 4x5 boxes from when they sold 'em with 100 sheets! I gots empty Zone VI Brilliant boxes from when it was only graded! None of that newfangled variable compost stuff.

Jan Pietrzak
15-Aug-2015, 10:19
I was doing some cleaning out of old stuff and came across some boxes of Super Panchro Press type B and Royal X Pan those colors are not the same at all???? Like Daniel said 'just so long as the stuff on the inside is the same' who cares.....oh the boses of SPP and RXP got put back in the old files.....jp

Mark Sampson
26-Aug-2015, 18:14
Jan,
SPP and RXP have been discontinued since the late 1970s. Better get out the Anti-fog No. 1 if you plan to use it...

Duolab123
6-Sep-2015, 18:12
What gets me is no more single boxes of 120 from Kodak, thus no box end flap to put into my memo holder on the back of the camera. Fortunately I saved some flaps. Oh my gosh, such times we are going through! Damned infernal pixel machines.
I keep a small bottle of Indicator Stop Bath instead of smelling salts for when the 21st century becomes too much to take!

Daniel Stone
6-Sep-2015, 21:51
What gets me is no more single boxes of 120 from Kodak, thus no box end flap to put into my memo holder on the back of the camera. Fortunately I saved some flaps. Oh my gosh, such times we are going through! Damned infernal pixel machines.
I keep a small bottle of Indicator Stop Bath instead of smelling salts for when the 21st century becomes too much to take!

The 5-roll pro packs have those little tabs, FYI. But you only get (1), so save em. Personally, I flip them over, and use a fine-point sharpie to write other emulsion codes on the white/uncolored side, so they can do "double duty" :)

Duolab123
7-Sep-2015, 20:49
I have found the tabs on the pro-paks but the Devils in Rochester shave them off so there not square. Seems uncivilized to me. Something else I'm going to start to carry a paper punch, so my Kodak films work with Fujifilm ez load spools. I say a prayer every night to St Chromus, the Patron saint of reversal films that nothing happens to Velvia and Provia.
Next time instead of rescuing Citibank I say we save Polaroid.

Sirius Glass
7-Sep-2015, 21:19
That someone at Kodak realized they could save a fraction of a cent from every box by skipping printing the Kodak logo on it and they're now buying the same stock material some other company uses in packaging rather than their custom coloured yellow?

Or maybe the guy who usually ran said stamping machine retired and they didn't bother replacing him. I've actually seen one company switch from branded boxes to plain boxes with only branding on the label because the tech who normally fixed the box printer quit and they never replaced him. Saved the company a ton of money actually.

+1