PDA

View Full Version : Just won eBay bid Calumet 4x5 mono-rail!!

A.D.Avestan
13-Aug-2015, 13:02
Wow.. Cant believe it. Won a bid on eBay for a Calumet CC401 4x5" mono-rail...for $59+41 for shipping YIPES!!. The seller indicated a couple missing knobs, a good bellows and free movements all around. I was so into building my first LF but gave this a try. Earlier purchased a 150mm Fujunar W for $70 and some Ilford 100 B/W with a couple holders. Seems like I'm in. This will be my first Large format camera. :cool:

Eric Woodbury
13-Aug-2015, 13:10
Sounds like fun. You'll need a tripod and darkcloth, too.

A.D.Avestan
13-Aug-2015, 13:42
Yeah! Got a decent tripod. I do have some black out curtain but I will get something proper. So excited!!!

woodbox
13-Aug-2015, 13:56
When I was first starting out (waaaay back about a year and a half ago) I bought a Calumet 4x5 on ebay. I would have liked to build my own, but I don't think I had ever even seen a large format camera in person, so it was a little hard to picture how it worked. The camera was advertised as being in working order.

I got it, took it out of the box, looked it over for a couple of hours, spotted that the rear end was broken (and thankfully it was visible in the pictures on ebay so they knew it wasn't me). I sent it back. But what I gained from just looking it over was invaluable in understanding how it works, so then I was able to build my own.

Wayne
13-Aug-2015, 15:37
I liked my little Calumet. Wish I still had it.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Aug-2015, 15:40
My first 4x5 images were made with that camera and they are just fine.
Enjoy!

Terry Moore
13-Aug-2015, 17:35
Congratulations!! Welcome to the large format world. You'll find this forum to be an invaluable resource.

peter schrager
13-Aug-2015, 17:59
it's a great camera..very sturdy. I had one for years..wonder why I sold it?? Bellows length maybe
have fun!!
best, peter

Wayne
13-Aug-2015, 19:30
You don't need anything too proper. A black t-shirt or sweatshirt will easily work in a pinch.

Yeah! Got a decent tripod. I do have some black out curtain but I will get something proper. So excited!!!

redshift
14-Aug-2015, 04:23
Welcome to our crazy passion!

Jim Noel
14-Aug-2015, 10:30

Use a black T shirt. It is much more effective since it blocks light from below as well as top and sides.

A.D.Avestan
14-Aug-2015, 21:15
Thanks All!!

Use a black T shirt. It is much more effective since it blocks light from below as well as top and sides.

tonyowen
15-Aug-2015, 01:12
Congratulations.
I got one a couple of months ago
Over that time I've had (and still have) many questions regarding (Calumet and other items) in LF photography.
I've been given answers to all of my questions (and answers of questions that I had not even thought about) on this forum.
If you've just started on your 4x5 journey it may be worth using Fomapan sheet film - it is very good and costs fraction of the price of Ilford films.
Have fun
regards
Tony

A.D.Avestan
15-Aug-2015, 12:15
Congratulations.
I got one a couple of months ago
Over that time I've had (and still have) many questions regarding (Calumet and other items) in LF photography.
I've been given answers to all of my questions (and answers of questions that I had not even thought about) on this forum.
If you've just started on your 4x5 journey it may be worth using Fomapan sheet film - it is very good and costs fraction of the price of Ilford films.
Have fun
regards
Tony

Well Thanks Tony!
Fomapan ay? Already got some Ilford but your quite reasonable in suggesting a less costly option for the first few months. Will definitely check them out!

Bill Koechling
21-Aug-2015, 15:15
Congrats, A.D. My first 4x5 was a Calumet. I went to Calumet Photographic near Chicago before they had any stores. Expecting a retail environment I found that it was a factory with a small sales office. The people there were very kind to me and gave me a tour of the factory. After the tour they told me that Ansel Adams had been in the previous day and purchased a couple of Calumet 4x5s. That was 42 years ago.

You're in good company and many of us here are very excited for you. We wish you well

John Kasaian
21-Aug-2015, 16:33
Congratulations! The Calumet is a fine camera. This is going to be fun!

Ben Calwell
21-Aug-2015, 17:06
My first view camera, too. A real work horse. Enjoy!

MrFujicaman
21-Aug-2015, 20:32
AD, if you go to www.butkas.org, you can download the manual for the Calumet. Just be nice and send him some $ via Paypal or mail him a check . I just keep a list of stuff I've downloaded from him and send him a check every Christmas season. ( hey...who doesn't need more $$ at Xmas ?)

I saw several photos in Ansel Adams's books where he was using a CC-400 Calumet...I've always figured that if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me !

Dustin McAmera
28-Aug-2015, 12:06
I just bought a CC401 myself. It came with an eight-inch Wray process lens. I've taken that off, for now at least, and fitted on the board the only lens I have that both covers the format and has a shutter. It's an Ysarex, a Rodenstock Tessar-formula lens made for one of the big Polaroid cameras. I used to have it mounted for my Century Graphic, but that only used the middle of it.

I got a Benbo tripod for the new camera, three film-holders and a box of Fomapan 100. I've taken it out for one outing so far, and that was ok.

I have used a tee-shirt for a dark cloth before (with the Century Graphic), and tried that with the Calumet in the house before setting out. It felt cramped; I must be too slim or something; so I took a medium-sized dark blue towel. It was impressively dark, and it's washable.

You can also get that manual, and a couple of Calumet brochures, at CameraEccentric.com.

A.D.Avestan
29-Aug-2015, 19:49
I just bought a CC401 myself. It came with an eight-inch Wray process lens. I've taken that off, for now at least, and fitted on the board the only lens I have that both covers the format and has a shutter. It's an Ysarex, a Rodenstock Tessar-formula lens made for one of the big Polaroid cameras. I used to have it mounted for my Century Graphic, but that only used the middle of it.

I got a Benbo tripod for the new camera, three film-holders and a box of Fomapan 100. I've taken it out for one outing so far, and that was ok.

I have used a tee-shirt for a dark cloth before (with the Century Graphic), and tried that with the Calumet in the house before setting out. It felt cramped; I must be too slim or something; so I took a medium-sized dark blue towel. It was impressively dark, and it's washable.

You can also get that manual, and a couple of Calumet brochures, at CameraEccentric.com.

Cool Dustin, I have a Fujinon 3" on it with the Sieko shutter. My thing right now is taking it completely apart, painting the belows matte black and wire brushing the paint off the aluminium. May paint it black but gonna check out the brushed aluminum vibe first. There are some bashed knobs to replace. The ground glass needs a spring clip and I do not like the bold red grid thats on it...little things...missing little screws etc. This camera is pretty impressive design wise. It seems to be able to make any movements and with a good amount of play. By the way, the bellows are removable if you want to get all wide angle for landscape which to me seems a good idea. I kinda want a small rail for landscape subjects. Seems pretty simple to either saw this one or get one made say 1/2 the length. My main thing is portraits and florals so I am set for a good while. Good luck to you. By the way, scored a Pentax spotmeter via Ebay last week. They are out there just gotta dig. This one takes formarly discontinued batteries...stuff like that. Hey! It's all just Fab Good!!

Mark Sawyer
29-Aug-2015, 23:50
Welcome to the leisure class!!! :rolleyes:

Wayne
30-Aug-2015, 15:56
:D:rolleyes:

mdarnton
30-Aug-2015, 17:08
If anyone ever buys a stop-sign red one with slightly darkened areas from the enamel being cooked in my oven, that's my paint job, c1972. They're great cameras, simple and tough.

A.D.Avestan
30-Aug-2015, 18:00
If anyone ever buys a stop-sign red one with slightly darkened areas from the enamel being cooked in my oven, that's my paint job, c1972. They're great cameras, simple and tough.

HA!!!!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!!! hehehe Seems like they may have been made for military issue- they are quite well built. :cool: