PDA

View Full Version : Horseman Optical Exposure Computer Demonstration

Corran
11-Aug-2015, 23:37
From my research, there's exactly one thread here about this meter. I had never heard of it until I stumbled upon one on eBay. I bought it for really cheap and made a demonstration video for how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERYGOXFkulc

Anyone else using this meter? It seems really nicely made and pretty accurate as long as you calibrate your EI / ISO for the different voltage of the newer batteries. The usual caveats apply for any TTL meter.

I'm also curious if anyone has used those MR-9 voltage regulator things with this meter. I'm confused about how the two different battery types interact for the meter ranges and whether or not one could get the meter calibrated/modified for normal battery usage and not have to figure out the difference in ISO settings.

Tin Can
11-Aug-2015, 23:52
Interesting, all I ever heard about these is they all were at least inaccurate.

I am a huge fan of Horseman, but never aspired to this gizmo.

I await your conclusions. :)

Corran
11-Aug-2015, 23:59
Interesting, all I ever heard about these is they all were at least inaccurate.

Oh? Where at? I didn't do any kind of exhaustive research, but I hadn't seen that. It seems like a niche product that not many have used.

As long as it's consistently inaccurate (due to the voltage thing), one can compensate appropriately. I figured it was worth a shot for $50!

Bob Mann
12-Aug-2015, 07:31
I have one that I have used off and on for a number of years. It works fine, especially for bellows extensions - the one I use has a 4x5 adapter so I do need to be aware of what part of the image it is actually metering. For $50 I think you got a good deal.

Tin Can
12-Aug-2015, 14:49
Oh? Where at? I didn't do any kind of exhaustive research, but I hadn't seen that. It seems like a niche product that not many have used.

As long as it's consistently inaccurate (due to the voltage thing), one can compensate appropriately. I figured it was worth a shot for $50!

All hearsay.

Trust Bob Mann. I do.

ic-racer
12-Aug-2015, 14:54
One battery for the low and one battery for the high range. Mine works great. How are people calculating the film plane exposure to show the meter is not accurate? Unless I see the numbers, it didn't happen.

Corran
12-Aug-2015, 20:21
One battery for the low and one battery for the high range.

That makes sense of course but my meter has 3 ranges:

2 through 6
6 through 11
11 through 16

Also, I wonder which battery accounts for which range(s)?

I skimmed the manual so I should look again, perhaps I just missed it.

Phil Hudson
13-Aug-2015, 05:25
Not very helpful but the later versions of this meter in both 6x9 and 4x5 versions use silver oxide 4SR44 batteries instead of the old mercury cells. Works great, especially as noted for bellows and filter factors.

Corran
13-Aug-2015, 07:56
Interesting, I didn't know that. I couldn't find any listings/sales on eBay that used those batteries - they must be pretty uncommon.

ic-racer
13-Aug-2015, 16:13
The PX26 battery is for the most sensitive range. The other battery for the other two ranges.