PDA

View Full Version : Filter w/Impossible 8x10?

bvy
10-Aug-2015, 14:31
I wonder if anyone who's using the Impossible Project 8x10 black and white film (previous or current version) has found any value in using a filter with portraits. The stuff seems to be very contrasty, and without a lot of wiggle room in terms of exposure. Doing portraits with strobes, I'm finding that the skin is easily washed out while dark areas appear underexposed. I'm still experimenting with my lights, and a green filter seems to have helped (although I've only tested it on the smaller format [600] frames), but I'd like to hear from someone who may have some experience here. Thanks.

vinny
10-Aug-2015, 15:55
If you are in control of the lighting, I do not understand why you are having issues with contrast. A filter isn't going to change the problem.

bvy
11-Aug-2015, 07:19
I think it can help. I want to see more texture in the skin. It would help if Impossible published tech data on their film -- curves, spectral sensitivity, etc. I've not been able to find such documentation.

Tracy Storer
11-Aug-2015, 09:09
A green filter will darken white (pink) skin, that is what you are seeing.
I did a little testing with the 2.0 8x10 BW and found that while it has a much better D-max than the older film, and is generally cleaner and smoother than the earlier version from 3 years ago, the contrast is tricky. Shadow separation is pretty muddy and highlights blow out, I think it's an either / or proposition with this film, unless you can control contrast with lighting or, as you suggest, adjust the way colors "read" by lightening / darkening them with a filter. Whatever works, it helps to know why it's working.

djdister
11-Aug-2015, 09:31
You have to be very careful using filters for B&W - the cool colors will darken the skin tone and in some cases (blue) make faces look blotchy and generally hideous. I would also avoid green and only use warm color filters, which will tend to mask red spots and skin imperfections (for Caucasians), giving an overall smoother rendition of facial tone. And work to lower your lighting ratio to 1:2 or 1:3 to smooth out the harsh contrast.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Aug-2015, 09:43
If you are in control of the lighting, I do not understand why you are having issues with contrast. A filter isn't going to change the problem.

Vinny is right. In this case it is all about lighting ratio. I would begin by trying a 1:3 ratio and work from there.