PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Lensboard Identification Help Request

Terry Moore
9-Aug-2015, 08:44
I purchased a lens and it came with a wooden lens board. It's 6 inches square, 5/16 inches thick with a 1/4X1/4 inch rabbet on all four edges of the back [any of these could be off slightly as I didn't have my glasses on]. Can anyone help ID this?
Thanks,
Terry

Jim Galli
9-Aug-2015, 10:08
I purchased a lens and it came with a wooden lens board. It's 6 inches square, 5/16 inches thick with a 1/4X1/4 inch rabbet on all four edges of the back [any of these could be off slightly as I didn't have my glasses on]. Can anyone help ID this?
Thanks,
Terry

Picture might help. Sounds like Kodak 2D. Does the first guy with the right answer get the board? ;~'))

cowanw
9-Aug-2015, 10:18
Or Deardorff
From SK Grimes

Deardorff 6″

6″ square wood with a 5.5″ square plateau. Lip thickness is approx .19. Overall thickness .36-.385. Radiused corners and top edge is tapered.

Terry Moore
9-Aug-2015, 11:25
Thanks! Your help is appreciated.

The corners are square--I'm embarrassed I forgot that detail. I dug out my dial calipers and glasses the lip thickness is 0.122 and the overall thickness is 0.362. And there is a chamfer on one of the lip edges. The plateau is 5.5 inches square. Is there such a thing as a square-edged Deardorff board?

Once I'm sure what it is I'm going to see that someone who can use it gets it.

Jim Jones
9-Aug-2015, 13:58
The two old boards I've always assumed were for an 8x10 2D are 1/8" thick at the edges. One is 1/4 thick overall, the other is 3/8" On a 2D the overall thickness is not critical. I usually build these boards up from 1/8" Masonite or plywood. The source I usually rely on for such details says the thickness of the lip is 1/4, not 1/8, for Grover, B&J, and Kodak 8x10 cameras. That source is usually accurate, since it was published long before the internet. However, it does have one other unmistakable error in its data on lens boards.

cowanw
9-Aug-2015, 18:17
Thanks! Your help is appreciated.

The corners are square--I'm embarrassed I forgot that detail. I dug out my dial calipers and glasses the lip thickness is 0.122 and the overall thickness is 0.362. And there is a chamfer on one of the lip edges. The plateau is 5.5 inches square. Is there such a thing as a square-edged Deardorff board?

Once I'm sure what it is I'm going to see that someone who can use it gets it.

Indeed the early ones (1932-1938) were square until it was noticed that usage caused the corners to wear roundish; Also I have read that military versions were square.

Jim Galli
9-Aug-2015, 18:34
Indeed the early ones (1932-1938) were square until it was noticed that usage caused the corners to wear roundish; Also I have read that military versions were square.

Deardorff boards are about 3/8 thick with equidistant drop in of 3/16 ~ 3/16 unlike the 2D which is about 1/4 inch inset with 1/8" in the 6X6 area. Thus I have to keep Deardorff boards for the V11 and 2D boards for the 810. Now, you may find some military contract Deardorff's that had identical square board like 2D with the same offsets because the US Gov't wasn't going to play the non-interchangeable game.

Terry Moore
9-Aug-2015, 18:36
I don't know how old this thing is but it doesn't appear to have had much use as all of the edges are still fairly sharp. Although the front should be refinished if one cares about appearance.

Also, the hole is Copal #3 size so it could easily be for an 8X10.