PDA

View Full Version : 7x17 Verticals

Peter Galea
8-Feb-2005, 18:04
I really want to shoot verticals with a Korona 7x17. Is anyone doing it? I imagine it will take two tripods, or one tripod and a bracing light stand. Is the stabilizer kit mandatory? Do you have any tips or tricks?

Frank Petronio
8-Feb-2005, 18:39
Lois Conner appears to have done it, at least judging by her reproductions in her China book.

Having only used a 7x17 Korona horizontally, I'd imagine that the best way to do it is to build a jig that would help support the front standard and the entire camera. A simple woodworking project with a few off the shelf clamps perhaps?

David A. Goldfarb
8-Feb-2005, 18:53
I think Lotus makes an L-bracket for shooting verticals with a banquet-format camera.

Steve Sherman
8-Feb-2005, 20:30
Peter,

I have a 7X17 Folmer Schwing. Camera has a 4" square wood base where the tripod screw is located. I added another 1/4" X 20 nut insert form a home improvement store, drilled a hole and cemeted the nut insert into the wood base. I havea Gitzo tripod with a head which has a mounting screw at the extreme front of the head and then an adjustable sliding screw which I line up with the other tripod mounting nut in the wood base of the camera. This has proven to be very sturdy and quick to mount and shoot with. Best of luck!

Michael Mutmansky
8-Feb-2005, 21:23
Peter,

I do therm as Dan describes. If I were planning to do a lot of verticals, I would figure out an arrangement similar to the Lotus bracket, as it will make it easier to have good control over the camera.

Verticals are not easy to do with a 7x17 because of the weight of the camera, and I think that in many cases the picture is too high for it's width. Rarely, (with the exception of some of Lois Connor's verticals) do I see a vertical that works well in the 7x17 proportions. 12x20 is another story, as that is an ideal format for verticals in my opinion.

Good luck on your shooting.

---Michael

sanking
8-Feb-2005, 21:46
There are two issue with a Korona 7X17. One is supporting the weight of the camera on its side , another is the strength of the front standard when placed in this posiiton.

For the first, I recommend putting a 1/4 threaded insert into the top of the left side of the back of the camera so that when you turn it on end you the weight of the camera can be supported with a small monopod. Canham 7X17 and 12X20 cameras come with this insert already installed.

Second, support the front standard by secuirng the track to the bed (at the top) with a strong spring clamp. Support the bottom of the front standard when focusing, and immediatley on finishing focusing clamp the topo of the track to the bad.

Good luck when you do this. I have seen the rear and front track of both 7X17 anbd 12X20 Korona cameras rip off the base when attempting vertical shots. Not my cameras but it was not a pretty sight.

robert_4927
8-Feb-2005, 22:29
I have a new Wisner 8x20. I went the extra mile and ordered the vertical back. As Sandy was saying, I too had nightmares of the front and rear standards ripping out of their tracks. My 8x20 is an expedition model ( even lighter than the tech field) which added to my fears. It may be possible to find and older camera or even just a 7x17 rear and rework it in the vertical format. I just feel so much better with my camera bed flat. Just my opinion.....robert

Christian Nze
9-Feb-2005, 00:29
Hello Peter

I use to make some with an old 7x17 Korona. At first I just tilt my head and secure it carefully . But I know use 2 tripods And when I ended to compose the image I set the second tripod unnder the camera to avoid to much pressure on the screw.

you may go there http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781372178 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781372178) or see this

<hr color="red" size="2">

Peter Galea
18-Feb-2005, 23:53
Thank you all for the replies, encouragement and cautions. I shot my first vertical today, a full lenght portrait of my 10 year old son.
Sandy, thank you for the advice, even with the rear frame resting on the monopod and with clamps firmly attached to the rails it was a nerve racking experience! I will put in the threaded insert tomorrow. The payoff is a wonderful, strong portrait of my favorite subject. I shot it on Bergger 200, rated at 100 and tray processed in Rodinal 1:50. Though nervous and apprehensive about laying this 75+ year old beauty on its side, I can't wait to expose the next sheet.