PDA

View Full Version : Here we go... 4x6 feet prints

richardman
5-Aug-2015, 17:59
These are not for a gallery or anything, but the 73rd Worldcon (Science Fiction and Fantasy) http://sasquan.org is giving me a big place in their Exhibit Hall to do my projects and space to hang stuff, so I am printing the following 4 feet wide. I am going to attach dowels on top and bottom so they can be hung using brackets.

I sent them off to a poster printing place and I will report back what the quality is like when I receive the prints back. The price is certainly quite good, just under $100 each. I don't expect super photo quality but the reviews sound good.

I have the negs drum-scanned by Lenny Eiger, who did a great job squeezing out the max from the negs. Comparing the V700, there are more shadow details and dynamic range.

Can't wait to see the prints....

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/karen-work.jpg

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/azrael-work.jpg

Tin Can
5-Aug-2015, 18:07
Looks interesting.

Good luck!

Mat5121
5-Aug-2015, 19:04
Holy moley, that second one is bonkers! I hope those prints come out to your satisfaction...wish I could see them:)

AtlantaTerry
5-Aug-2015, 20:07
I sent them off to a poster printing place...
OK. So why didn't you mention the name of the poster printing place?

Merg Ross
5-Aug-2015, 21:33
Congratulations on your project, hope it turns out to your satisfaction!

When I hear of large prints, I think of the Ansel Adams murals I grew up with in the Bay Area, in particular the Berkeley branch of the American Trust Company (now Wells Fargo Bank). They were printed by Gabriel Moulin Studio in San Francisco on continuous rolls of sepia toned paper (of course, closely supervised by Ansel). Presented 8x10 feet in size with two or three seamlessly wall mounted strips. Very impressive for the time, 1950-60. Some may still be in branches, San Mateo, Berkeley, Mill Valley, San Carlos, perhaps others.

Alan Klein
5-Aug-2015, 23:15
What camera and film?

richardman
5-Aug-2015, 23:57
OK. So why didn't you mention the name of the poster printing place?

I was going to wait until I see the prints first, but since you asked, it's posterburner.com. I found them via google search, so has no referral nor personal experience yet.

What camera and film?

Chamoinx 4x5 F1, Portra 160 and Provia 100F. I have standardized on Portra 160 but definitely still struggling with getting the color balance just right.

THANKS all!

cdholden
6-Aug-2015, 03:46
Congratulations on your project, hope it turns out to your satisfaction!

When I hear of large prints, I think of the Ansel Adams murals I grew up with in the Bay Area, in particular the Berkeley branch of the American Trust Company (now Wells Fargo Bank). They were printed by Gabriel Moulin Studio in San Francisco on continuous rolls of sepia toned paper (of course, closely supervised by Ansel). Presented 8x10 feet in size with two or three seamlessly wall mounted strips. Very impressive for the time, 1950-60. Some may still be in branches, San Mateo, Berkeley, Mill Valley, San Carlos, perhaps others.

There's some psychology in viewing prints of this size up close. Many of Clyde Butcher's prints are hung in view of the public eye also. It's impressive to see a photo wider than our arms can reach and taller than we stand.