PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 bright focusing screen

gabriele turchi
4-Aug-2015, 22:57
Hi all,
i have just landed to this forum, reason being me now shooting 4x5 using a TOYO 45CF,
the focusing screen that came with the camera is really really dark .as i was used to do for my medium format camera , i am looking for a replacement ,
i did some research and i think i like the maxwell screen , i did send and email and waiting for response, but i have the feeling that getting the screen will take few weeks (maybe i am wrong)

since i am on vacation using the camera a lot these days i kind of need a replacement for my dark screen ASAP, all next week i will be back in NYC, than off again to italy for few weeks ,

so my post here is about asking you guys what would be the fastest way to get a good brighter than mine focusing screen .

i have noticed that there is no marketplace on this forum , so perhaps someone can point me one , i did an eBay search but no maxwell (off course even a bright alternative would do) ... and i am sure if all the 4x5 are compatible etc ... ,

bottom line i need something by end of next week in NYC! if you can suggest something would be great !

thanks so much !

g

axs810
4-Aug-2015, 23:42
Order a Borosilicate ground glass from Steve Hopf...best ground glass I've ever used on any LF camera

He is photofixation on ebay

gabriele turchi
5-Aug-2015, 00:04
thanks!
and assume would go on any camera?
ps: do you prefer this on to the maxwell?
thanks!
g

cowanw
5-Aug-2015, 04:38
Perhaps the fastest way to improve things is to get a Fresnel reading sheet magnifier
like this
http://www.staples.ca/en/Merangue-Sheet-Magnifier-8-1-2-x-11-/product_434771_2-CA_1_20001
Cut it too size and enjoy
then when you are back read and think about all the threads here and learn the in's and out's of GG's
One type does not suit all.

axs810
5-Aug-2015, 06:42
thanks!
and assume would go on any camera?
ps: do you prefer this on to the maxwell?
thanks!
g

You tell him the size of your ground glass and he will make it to your specifications. I haven't used a maxwell screen but I wouldn't trade my Steve Hopf ground glass for anything else...it works great for me (and I'm a really picky person)

Peter De Smidt
5-Aug-2015, 07:14
It's best to deal with Bill Maxwell on the phone, as long as you set aside some time. :)

His screens are terrific but very pricey.

Alan Gales
5-Aug-2015, 09:23
After you are a member for 30 days you can view the for sale section.

Welcome to the forum!

Dennis
5-Aug-2015, 09:35
I just noticed the other day that B&H in New York sells Beattie bright screens for 4x5. They list it as special order so you might call them and inquire.
Dennis

EdSawyer
5-Aug-2015, 12:49
Choice of lens affects the screen image a lot too. slow, wide-angle lenses will look a lot less bright than a faster longer lens , for example.

gabriele turchi
5-Aug-2015, 14:37
thank a lot guys
i am in touch with Steve Hopf as first step
thanks a lot
g