PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C1 question

ImSoNegative
4-Aug-2015, 19:05
I have owned the black beast version of this camera but was thinking of buying the magnesium one, from the pictures of the camera I was looking at it looked like the little knob that locks in front rise is missing or was never there, the pics are kind of blurry. is there a version of this camera that doesn't have that little knob, I can see the big knob on the opposite side that raises the lens board up and down but I don't see the little knob that locks it. thanks

ImSoNegative
4-Aug-2015, 19:07
here is a picture of it.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/19680367064_2d888dae08.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/vZ62tw)$_12 (https://flic.kr/p/vZ62tw) by john golden (https://www.flickr.com/photos/126756312@N03/), on Flickr

Jon Shiu
4-Aug-2015, 21:36
It looks like that one is broken off, but it is not really necessary.

Jon

Tin Can
4-Aug-2015, 21:41
I have owned the black beast version of this camera but was thinking of buying the magnesium one, from the pictures of the camera I was looking at it looked like the little knob that locks in front rise is missing or was never there, the pics are kind of blurry. is there a version of this camera that doesn't have that little knob, I can see the big knob on the opposite side that raises the lens board up and down but I don't see the little knob that locks it. thanks

It depends.

There are 3 variations I have seen.

#1 No rise lock knob and they bragged it didn't need it at one time. I have the sales brochure.

#2 Rise lock on front left.

# 3 Rise lock left side behind.

My theory is some people wanted lock and it could have been added after sale.

No big secret, just drill and tap, the ones I have seen with locks used rail lock knob that lock the pointy spikes into the front standard. Those are often lost as they need to unscrew nearly all the way and fall out.

All tapped holes and knobs are SAE and can be repaired, or replaced fairly easily.

NOS may have been lost when Old Calumet went under. They had a fair amount of C1 parts 2 miles from me, however accountants won again...:(

New Calumet is not worth the 2 mile trip.

koh303
5-Aug-2015, 08:37
NOS may have been lost when Old Calumet went under. They had a fair amount of C1 parts 2 miles from me, however accountants won again...:(

New Calumet is not worth the 2 mile trip.

That is the saddest part about the bankruptcy, the entire stock of calumet/cambo spares is GONE. :(.

Byclops
5-Aug-2015, 09:57
That is the saddest part about the bankruptcy, the entire stock of calumet/cambo spares is GONE. :(.

Does anyone know definitively that the Calumet NOS is well and truly gone? I am slowly bringing a C-1 (or precursor thereof) back to life.

koh303
5-Aug-2015, 10:19
Does anyone know definitively that the Calumet NOS is well and truly gone? I am slowly bringing a C-1 (or precursor thereof) back to life.

If you call and get a straight answer - please report what you have found.
So far i have spoken with Cambo UK/Europe, new owner of Calumet in the US, Repo lawyers and a few other i must be forgetting.
Things of immediate value in the stock or inventory were auctioned off the same day between various dealers already in the loop (creditors etc.,) and lots was dumped. One person of the above list indicated that the entire parts stock was eliminated (IE - trashed). It was a massive stock pile. Is it really actually gone? Who knows. Can anyone get to it now? Absolutely not which for all intents and purposes means its gone.

Byclops
5-Aug-2015, 17:04
Thank you for your comprehensive explanation. What a shame!

dsphotog
5-Aug-2015, 17:48
If you call and get a straight answer - please report what you have found.
So far i have spoken with Cambo UK/Europe, new owner of Calumet in the US, Repo lawyers and a few other i must be forgetting.
Things of immediate value in the stock or inventory were auctioned off the same day between various dealers already in the loop (creditors etc.,) and lots was dumped. One person of the above list indicated that the entire parts stock was eliminated (IE - trashed). It was a massive stock pile. Is it really actually gone? Who knows. Can anyone get to it now? Absolutely not which for all intents and purposes means its gone.

Maybe in an abandoned building somewhere in Chicago....

koh303
5-Aug-2015, 18:06
Maybe in an abandoned building somewhere in Chicago....

Well the building where the repairs were is still occupied by the new calumet (i think). What is left inside is another question.