PDA

View Full Version : Beginner mistakes

Draganski
3-Aug-2015, 12:58
I am a total beginner at developing my 4x5 film. So far I have developed a couple of 4x5 Ilford FP4 sheets, using Ilford chemicals. ID-11 stock solution, Ilfostop and Rapidfixer. Here is my problem:
Another one:

You can notice the middle area has got a kind of haze compared to the rest.
Is it possible that i am havin a light leak in my darkroom?
I work in a cellar and 10m behind me there is a server with LEDs. it is not facing me in any way, but maybe there is weak light being reflected. the server is behind a dark dimmed glass, i don't know if this is the problem.

I developed the sheets on different days, one at a time. the trays are about 4x8". i developed at 20°C, 7:15 min, constant agitation, lifting and lowering clockwise every side. after 7:15 i put the sheet in a 30 sec. stop bath, then 3 min. fixer. after that i rinsed the film off and put it in a 5x7" tray filled with water. i changed the water about 5 times within 30 min.
I have an office printer/scanner where i develop the film. the immediate inspection on the flatbed scanner does not show this fog,but maybe it is simply because that office scanner is not suitable for the negative. i have the impression that it occurs after a day or two. Could it be that i did not wash out the fixer properly?

it is so sad when you can't wait to develop a shot and find out you ruined it. :(

Randy
3-Aug-2015, 13:29
...it is so sad when you can't wait to develop a shot and find out you ruined it. :(

Welcome to my world :(

I almost wonder if you just didn't fix thoroughly. 3 minutes may not be long enough. I don't think it is insufficient washing. Perhaps try washing one of the negs for a couple minutes then back into fix for 3-4 minutes, wash as normal, dry, and scan again.

LabRat
3-Aug-2015, 13:50
I also think it has not been fixed long enough...

Here is a test for your fixer; Take a undeveloped strip of B/W film, (35mm is fine) and put it into the fixer (room light is fine), and note how long it takes for the film to clear... (It should take about 1-2 minutes in a rapid fixer/5 minutes in a hypo fixer) In practical processing, the film will be fixed for twice those times... Like Randy said, those developed films can be re-fixed, but it will take a long time, like 10 or 15 minutes, then rewash and dry...

Don't give up!!! You are very close!!!!!

Steve K

Kevin Crisp
3-Aug-2015, 15:38
The swirly nature of it suggests a processing problem. Take one and try a few more minutes in the fix, then wash, and see if it goes away.

Bill_1856
3-Aug-2015, 16:27
Nice pictures. (The fogging may actually make them more interesting. :-)

Winger
3-Aug-2015, 17:46
I agree that refixing may help. They just seem to have "that look". Rapid fix (Ilford) when made 1:4 is 2-4 minutes BUT did you make it 1:4 and is it fresh? I haven't used FP4, so I don't know if it's one that needs longer fixing times as well. For TMax and Delta, 5-8 minutes is safer.

As long as you rewash sufficiently afterwards, refixing won't hurt.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Aug-2015, 18:16
I agree with those who point to fixing issues.

Don't beat yourself up. We ALL mess up at the beginning... and much later, too. :)
Your subject framing is encouraging. Tech issues are far easier to defeat than bad judgement.
Welcome!

Draganski
4-Aug-2015, 12:26
Thank you all for the replies. I have put these two in the fixer again, for about 10 minutes. Rinsed and washed them, they will dry until tomorrow. The fixer is two weeks old, i developed 6 sheets with it. 2 turned out really good, no fogging. I will try to remember what i did differently. I can only recall washing the good negatives in running water, instead of changing water every couple if minutes. If the negs are under- washed indeed, there should be no improvement in the hazy areas?
Thanks, dragan

AtlantaTerry
5-Aug-2015, 20:49
Is it possible that i am havin a light leak in my darkroom?
I work in a cellar and 10m behind me there is a server with LEDs. it is not facing me in any way, but maybe there is weak light being reflected. the server is behind a dark dimmed glass, i don't know if this is the problem.

I don't understand why you don't do something about the potential problem. Just buy a piece of black cloth and place it over the glass while you are handling undeveloped film. How hard can that be?

Draganski
6-Aug-2015, 22:52
Problem solved, re-fixing the picture removed the haze! Thank you all for your advice! @terry: it is not my server, so messing around that is no option.

AtlantaTerry
7-Aug-2015, 17:35
Problem solved, re-fixing the picture removed the haze! Thank you all for your advice! @terry: it is not my server, so messing around that is no option.

OK, I understand - back in the '90s I was a Novell network administrator. You could put a black cloth between it and you. Hang it up before you turn the lights out then remove it when the lights come on. No one will see it. :)

ImSoNegative
7-Aug-2015, 20:48
I went through the same problem several years ago when I was first starting out in LF, and sure enough it was the fixer, nice shots BTW

Draganski
8-Aug-2015, 11:06
Here is the fixed picture, just a quick scan and minor adjustments in lightroom:

I am amazed at how much bad handling a negative can take. this one has been underfixed, fell on the ground couple of times, was tested drying with 70% alcohol, then i put it in an envelope and the paper basically glued to it;washed it again, rubbed the paper off the emulsion etc etc. still i think it turned out ok :)

Draganski
8-Aug-2015, 12:54
Here is the other one. It was treated as a "trashcan-negative", since i thought it was ruined. i tested different methods on the negative, among others you can see i damaged the emulsion with the squeegee on the left side. i am surprised how well the other parts of the image could be redeveloped.
thank again for all your help and support
Dragan