PDA

View Full Version : Glassine Envelopes & Storing Negatives

Robert Kalman
3-Aug-2015, 09:29
I have used Savage-brand Glassine envelopes to store my large format negatives, both 4x5 and 8x10, since the late 1980's. I just started to run out of my current supply, and when I looked to order more I see that Savage, apparently, no longer makes glassines. Can't find anything comparable, either.

So, I'm wondering what people are using these days to store their negatives.

Thanks!

Robert

Drew Wiley
3-Aug-2015, 09:47
Glassine hasn't been used since the early Jurassic. Frosted mylar is typical. The texture helps prevent the emulsion sticking. Or plain acid-free paper envelopes,
which are available in several varieties, both buffered and non-buffered.

Robert Kalman
3-Aug-2015, 09:54
Glassine hasn't been used since the early Jurassic. Frosted mylar is typical. The texture helps prevent the emulsion sticking. Or plain acid-free paper envelopes,
which are available in several varieties, both buffered and non-buffered.

Thanks, Drew.

Do you have a favorite supplier for the acid-free paper envelopes? (And, I'm sorry to be dumb about this, but what is the difference between buffered/non-buffered?)

Drew Wiley
3-Aug-2015, 09:59
A lot of mine were from Light Impression, but that outfit has done a bit of a nose dive in recent years. Archival Methods is allegedly a good replacement source.
Even larger photo houses like B&H probably have them, listed under "Storage". Non-buffered sleeves were generally recommended for color negs and chromes,
buffered for conventional black and white negs. Prints are a more involved subject. You still need acid-free boxes for the envelopes and good air circulation where
they are stored.

tjvitale
3-Aug-2015, 10:07
Glassine is no longer recommended. Ther is plenty of acid free and even buffered glassine available . Made into envelopes I don't know.

Clear plastic is the new recommendation.

Kodak used to sell triacetate super clear negative sleeves, which is what I used (used). They are no longer recommended because cellulose acetate has been found to degrade with 100 years or less based on purity. Most film is still on acetate base. Go figure. Except we probably want something more stable that the thing we are preserving.

Polyethylene and polypropylene are the recommended clear plastics. True they are slight cloudy when compared to Kodak's old triacetate sleeves, which were a thing of beauty.

However, they are as good as you can get and they are clear enough for the job. Some make proofs with the negs still inside.

Tim Vitale
Paper & Photo Conservator
45 years in the field
Oakland CA
510-594-8277

Oren Grad
3-Aug-2015, 10:15
I use polypropylene fold-lock sleeves. For sheet-film sizes I've been using the Lineco Archivalware brand.

Most film is still on acetate base. Go figure.

Sheet film is generally on polyester, roll film on acetate.

tjvitale
3-Aug-2015, 10:32
Most historic sheet film is on acetate base.

Much modern sheet film is on acetate base. Some modern sheet film is on Estar (Mylar) base.

People don't like it Estar base. They like acetate base film.

Tim Vitale

mdarnton
3-Aug-2015, 10:36
I ordered some recently--had no problem finding them, though I don't know what brand they are:
http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Archival-Glassine-Envelopes-Single/dp/B000E7N2TK

They may not be recommended, but I have lots of unharmed film from the 60s that's been in them all along, so I'm not too worried. I don't like the idea of film sitting against unbreathable plastic--it sounds like a recipe for ferrotyping and sticking. Thirty more years, max, and I'll be dead and my negs in the trash.

Oren Grad
3-Aug-2015, 10:47
Much modern sheet film is on acetate base. Some modern sheet film is on Estar (Mylar) base.

To my knowledge, all current Kodak, Ilford, Foma and many if not all Fuji sheet films are on polyester. Haven't checked Adox recently; they've been making some changes in their film production, so I don't want to assume anything.

Drew Wiley
3-Aug-2015, 11:01
Ferrotyping - yeah, that's why I recommend textured polypropylene or mylar, not smooth polyethylene. But I prefer just to use the naked paper envelopes without
any plastic liner.

AtlantaTerry
5-Aug-2015, 21:02
IMHO, one really does not want to use "glassine" envelopes for a couple reasons:
1. they acidic
2. they contain sulphur
3. if they get the least bit damp they will stick to film like glue (been there / done that)

For my 4x5" sheets of film I now use Print File archival pages. Each sheet will hold four 4x5" sheets of film.

The company makes a product for 8x10" sheet film as well:
http://www.printfile.com/other-negative-pages.aspx

Jim Jones
6-Aug-2015, 06:22
I have some negatives that may have been stored in glassine envelopes since the 1930s with no apparent problems.

Jim Noel
6-Aug-2015, 07:44
Edward Weston stored his negatives in glassine and even wrote printing notes on the sleeves. Several years ago i saw some of these at Cole's and there was no sign of damage to the negatives.
Climaxphoto.com has clear plastic of two varieties in every size imaginable.

Ian Gordon Bilson
6-Aug-2015, 21:33
Forty plus years and no ill effects. It was suggested to me once that the glue in the center seam could be problematic, and ensuring the non emulsion side went to that side was optimum.

Drew Wiley
7-Aug-2015, 10:31
Oh gosh, Jim... I've seen plenty of negs damaged from glassine. And bugs do go for glue (booklice). A lot depends on secondary variables, esp humidity and ventilation. Nothing is "archival" unless everything else is, in terms of storage parameters. Some of this was probably just luck. If he had been in Santa Barbara
instead of Carmel/Monterey, a lot of things would have probably spoiled due to the slight increase in humidity. Termites have known that all along, though the
particularly noxious ones have just now begun migrating to the central coast due to climate warming. It doesn't take much.

Harold_4074
7-Aug-2015, 16:03
The oldest negatives that I have in glassine envelopes date back about 70 years, and most of that was in the Deep South. Santa Barbara may be more humid, but I'll bet it isn't ever as warm and humid (simultaneously) as Alabama :)

(That said, I use polyester fold-lock sleeves nowadays. I've never liked the idea of sliding negatives across anything unnecessarily.)

Robert Kalman
13-Aug-2015, 13:03
IMHO, one really does not want to use "glassine" envelopes for a couple reasons:
1. they acidic
2. they contain sulphur
3. if they get the least bit damp they will stick to film like glue (been there / done that)

For my 4x5" sheets of film I now use Print File archival pages. Each sheet will hold four 4x5" sheets of film.

The company makes a product for 8x10" sheet film as well:
http://www.printfile.com/other-negative-pages.aspx

Thanks everyone for all the input. I wound up buying some Print File envelopes from B&H.

woodslucas
18-Jan-2016, 22:13
I prefer glassines envelopes and have used them for many years. Most of the time they are fine, but any moisture will glue the seam to the negs or prints.

Vaughn
19-Jan-2016, 00:14
I prefer glassines envelopes and have used them for many years. Most of the time they are fine, but any moisture will glue the seam to the negs or prints.

I guess that is why I remember being told (back in the dark ages) to keep the emulsion side away from the glue. I am finding some use of them to be handy -- like store individual 120 negatives I am working with (making platinum/palladium prints).

woodslucas
24-Jan-2016, 21:30
I am using Adofile products from Adox for all my films from 35mm to 4x5 and they are great...