PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Rangelite Focusing

AuditorOne
2-Aug-2015, 23:10
I have a Crown Graphic model that has the top mounted rangefinder. This rangefinder is equipped with the Rangelite Focus System which isn't functioning right now.

Does anyone have a Speed or Crown with a functioning Rangelite system? How is it to work with, or do you even bother?

Are there any on-line guides that can help get the system functioning again?

AtlantaTerry
3-Aug-2015, 01:02
Do you have an idea what part of it isn't functioning?

AuditorOne
3-Aug-2015, 10:52
No. I haven't started disassembling things to determine a cause. That was one of the reasons I was looking for some guidance toward troubleshooting and repair. I will have to repair the focus system as well. The cam is in place but the cable is not there. I intended to dig into and fix the rangefinder focus but thought I might try and repair the Rangelite while I'm at it assuming it is worth having.

DrTang
3-Aug-2015, 10:56
don't you need a 22.5 volt battery or something for that to work?

Louis Pacilla
3-Aug-2015, 11:08

Mine lights up w/ two alkaline AA. Top mounted rangefinder model Crown 949.744 serial #. Don't know if the light works as designed though as I've moneyed up my range finder.:(

I do recall it worked fine and as intended before I did the monkeying of the rangefinder I spoke of above.:rolleyes:

RichSBV
3-Aug-2015, 21:39
If you don't already have them, go here:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/graphicmanuals.html
and download the service manuals. There two. One for the entire Pacemaker w/top rangefinder and one just for the top rangefinder. At least with these, you can see all the parts and instructions for servicing.

AuditorOne
4-Aug-2015, 08:31
That is a great resource RichSBV. Thanks for sharing.

AtlantaTerry
4-Aug-2015, 21:33

That was for the "BC" device that slid into the Graflite battery tube in place of a standard battery. The 22.5 volts provided power to capacitors inside the "BC" so when it was time to ignite a flashbulb there was always more than enough power to do the job.

Teodor Oprean
5-Aug-2015, 19:51
You might need to replace the small lightbulb inside the bakelite rangefinder.

AtlantaTerry
5-Aug-2015, 20:01
A couple years ago I read an article about a photographer who replaced the lightbulb with an LED laser diode.

The LED threw out a stronger light beam than the simple light bulb.

Of course, one would not want to aim the LED laser beam at a person's eyes or an airplane.

AuditorOne
6-Aug-2015, 08:52
Now that I have some parts diagrams I think I'll see if I can get mine working again. The wiring can't be that difficult to figure out and I suspect it is most likely a corrosion issue at the battery compartment. The biggest headache will be the need for a new bulb but even that can probably be fixed as per AtlantaTerry's post. It will be a little while as I am right in the middle of refinishing my 11x14 Seneca City View.

AtlantaTerry
7-Aug-2015, 06:52
Here is how to mount an LED laser in place of a rangefinder light bulb:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115600-DIY-Kalart-FocuSpot-style-Laser-Ranging-with-Technika-RF