PDA

View Full Version : f11 magazine article on Maris Rusis.

Maris Rusis
2-Aug-2015, 21:59
http://www.f11magazine.com/ is running an article on me. f11 is a free online magazine which is very attentive to modern picture-making and is therefore almost 100% digital. But Tim Steele the editor assures me his elegant but virtual pages can also show pictures made avowedly and exclusively from light-sensitive materials. Feedback could be interesting. Or it could be like a gust of wind passing through wheat. Time will tell.

ImSoNegative
3-Aug-2015, 06:46
nice looking magazine, thanks for the link and congratulations

Sal Santamaura
3-Aug-2015, 06:54
...the editor assures me his elegant but virtual pages can also show pictures made avowedly and exclusively from light-sensitive materials...Every image he publishes was made with light-sensitive materials. Digital sensors are light-sensitive materials. :D

DrTang
3-Aug-2015, 09:30
I like they "publish" more than 3, 4 pix from a subject.. Gives a better overview of them

Maris Rusis
3-Aug-2015, 15:13
Every image he publishes was made with light-sensitive materials. Digital sensors are light-sensitive materials. :D

Sorry about the ambiguity. I meant that my photographs are made "with" light-sensitive materials in the sense that light-sensitive materials are used up by turning them into pictures. And at the end of the process there aren't any light-sensitive materials left.

In this context I'll admit "with" is a weak word because it doesn't exclude pictures that employ, in passing, a light-sensitive "thing". Obviously all realist painting, drawings, and digital pictures use a light-sensitive component somewhere in the chain of production but the light-sensitive component doesn't become the picture and doesn't get destroyed in the process. The world being what it is I expect that someone someday will make pictures by actually consuming digital sensors and turning them into images. Unweaving the philosophical implications of this may be challenging.

Thanks Sal for your prompt to intellectual rigor. I find these conceptual waters difficult to navigate.

Kirk Gittings
3-Aug-2015, 18:50
79,86,91 holy cow Maris! I had no idea. You rock.

AlexGard
3-Aug-2015, 18:51
Thankyou maris i look forward to reading it

dsphotog
4-Aug-2015, 10:43
Outstanding!!

Peter York
4-Aug-2015, 11:13
Congrats Maris! I thoroughly enjoyed the article and your photographs.

johnmsanderson
10-Aug-2015, 15:32
Very nice article congrats!

diversey
10-Aug-2015, 16:03
I like these LF photos. They are beautifully made.

Joe O'Hara
11-Aug-2015, 10:11
+1. Brilliant.

ImSoNegative
11-Aug-2015, 11:15
When I posted my previous comment the new issue wasn't released, I just now read it. Awsome!!

Doremus Scudder
11-Aug-2015, 11:55
Nice article Maris and wonderful images. Very impressive. I'm glad you and LF analog photography are getting so much attention. Congratulations.

Doremus

Merg Ross
11-Aug-2015, 20:46
A refreshing visual experience, Maris!

Thank you.

Merg

AtlantaTerry
12-Aug-2015, 09:03
Congratulations on an excellent article and your beautiful photographs.

Ari
12-Aug-2015, 14:39
Excellent work and a very well-written article; thanks and congratulations, Maris.

mdm
12-Aug-2015, 17:55
Nice article Maris, I had no idea such a magazine existed in NZ.

mdarnton
12-Aug-2015, 18:57
I've been reading f11 for a while. It's really a good use of web publishing. Congrats!

David Hedley
13-Aug-2015, 07:31
Congratulations, Maris.

Maris Rusis
18-Aug-2015, 20:19
Thank you all for your kind and critical comments. Photograph-making, like most activities motivated more by art than commerce, tends to be a solitary pursuit. And there are always self doubts about talent, imagination, vision, and energy. Y'all give me reasons to keep going.