PDA

View Full Version : lensboard with shutter linhof style board (?)

Jbuck
2-Aug-2015, 04:17
hello,
im an happy owner of a shen hao ptb and wanted to know / ask if there is any accessory - shutter thingy that i could put before or after a shutterless lens and that would allow me to use old lenses without shutter on my sen hao.. i dont know the exact term, but the " thingy" thats available for sinar and other monorails:-)

thanks!

Jbuck
3-Aug-2015, 14:28
i think the thingy i was looking for is a ilex acme shutter for a linhof board:-)
but i guess an aero ektar would never fit on a linhof size board.
what about the leiz leica hektor aero alt.?

Robert Opheim
11-Aug-2015, 21:03
I use a LUC type shutter on one of my barrel lens. It is lighter than mounting a Packard Shutter which is also a popular one to use. The LUC type mounts onto the lens barrel on the outside. There is a limited number of shutter speeds for either of these types of shutters. From say many seconds or minutes to 1/15th of a second or so.

Jbuck
13-Aug-2015, 16:31
thanks soo much!:-)

Dan Fromm
13-Aug-2015, 18:10
A 7"/2.8 Aero Ektar won't fit a 4x5 Technika style board or a 4x5 Graphic board but adapters have been made and can be found. The OP will need a shutter with an AE.

The best solution for using an AE on a camera that doesn't have a focal plane shutter is to hang a large shutter in front of it. For the lens' dimensions and a discussion of adapters, see http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/aeromemorandum.htm Compound or Ilex #5 are the likely shutters. Their claimed top speeds are 1/50, the Compound #5 I hang in front of a large lens does 1/40.

None of this is going to be inexpensive or quickly found.

Why do you want an AE? They're not that wonderful and if you don't need f/2.5 you can find less expensive 7" lenses in shutter that are at least as good.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Aug-2015, 18:18
[... snip perfect information ...]
Why do you want an AE? They're not that wonderful and if you don't need f/2.5 you can find less expensive 7" lenses in shutter that are at least as good.

Having used the AE and other aerial lenses, I am disappointed with every one used at ground level. Has anyone made a significant image with one? Certainly, one photojournalist already known and highlighted has, but that was an article about the photographer, not the image. Answer: The lens does not make the picture.

Save money. Do not go there!

Jbuck
23-Aug-2015, 05:04
thanks alot! :-) you are right, probably its not worth going there.. im just looking for a vintage contra-part lens to my rodenstock symmar 210 for my 4x5 shen hao.. mybe a dagor.. something with good bokeh, but not as modern as the rodenstock