PDA

View Full Version : Processing Delta 100 and HP5+ together possible?

NoBob
31-Jul-2015, 22:54
Hi,

Is it possible to develop these two films together in the same Paterson tank (using a Mod54)?

From the Massive Dev Chart:

HP5+ in Ilfotec DD-X
1+4 400 9 20C

Delta 100 Pro in Ilfotec DD-X
1+4 100 12 20C

The D100 was shot at box speed. I have two sheets of HP5+: one shot at 8 secs (according to light meter reading) and the other shot at 22 secs (taking into account reciprocity failure).

Maybe develop for 12 minutes, developing the underexposed (8 secs) HP5+ sheet, and not the correctly exposed (22 secs) sheet?

I could wait till I've shot more sheets of each film, so just load up the tank each time with one type of film, but I wanted to develop what I have sooner before returning to a site.

IanG
1-Aug-2015, 00:38
You should look at the Ilford data-sheets (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427124733149.pdf) rather than the Massive Dev shart. In this case though those times are the same as Ilfords.

Interestingly HP5 in DDX needs less development compared to Delta 100 both at box speed while in other Ilford liquid developers it's the other way around. I'd process the possibly underexposed sheet of HP5 alongside the Delta 100 for 12 mins as you suggest.

I regularly process Delat 100 & HP% in the same tank but in Pyrocat HD with great results.

Ian

Michael E
1-Aug-2015, 04:21
You can use a compensating developer to process different films at the same development time. IIRC big commercial labs do that. Of course, you give up some control over your individual results.

Why do you want to mix films? Save the few minutes for the second run? Is this a one-time occurrence or does this happen regularly? Because if it does, you might want to choose films that have similar characteristics, just different speed. That would give similar processing times, compared to Delta 100 and HP5+, which are very different films.

Michael R
1-Aug-2015, 06:08
Interestingly HP5 in DDX needs less development compared to Delta 100 both at box speed while in other Ilford liquid developers it's the other way around.

Ian

For what it's worth, in my opinion the 12 minute time Ilford indicates for Delta 100 in DDX is incorrect. I have repeatedly found it to be 7-8 minutes.

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Aug-2015, 07:26
Develop in Dixactol, it is the same time not matter the film or EI, other than that I would not recommend it. I have a good friend who uses it and loves it.Get it from Photographers Formulary.

You should do film tests for each and determine your personal speed and development times based on your light meter and developing methods.

NoBob
2-Aug-2015, 11:22
Thanks. It's a one-off really. Trouble with ordering some Dixactol, the shipping alone would be close to $50.

I just wanted to see if I could use 200ml of DD-X instead of 400ml.