PDA

View Full Version : Unboxing Video for Chamonix 8x10 Sheet Film Holders

StoneNYC
30-Jul-2015, 15:20
Hey guys,

I find that much of the information on Chamonix cameras and accessories is kind of sparse, so I decided that I'm going to start documenting whenever I purchase something I feel there's little detail about so that others could have a better understanding of the design and capability.

I may also do some videos on the other equipment I have to help others see how it actually functions, sometimes it's hard to understand unless you see some close up details which many don't always share.

So this is my first attempt at an "un-boxing video".

Hope you enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/Xa2o8Oqdr-A

PS. mods I couldn't figure out if this should go in "announcements" or here or "resources", feel free to move it and remove this silly 'to the mods' message.

koh303
30-Jul-2015, 16:40
Can you please say how much does one holder weigh?

Alan Gales
30-Jul-2015, 21:15
Good job, Stone. Videos are a nice teaching tool.

StoneNYC
30-Jul-2015, 21:48
Can you please say how much does one holder weigh?

I'm not sure of the exact weight but they are lighter than the plastic fidelity holders by a good margin.

Good job, Stone. Videos are a nice teaching tool.

Thanks.

AtlantaTerry
30-Jul-2015, 21:49
The unboxing video of the 8x10" sheet film holders was nicely done.

Do you or anyone else know if Chamonix 4x5" sheet film holders also are shipped with those nice padded pouches? If so, how many sheet film holders are the pouches designed to hold?

If there is an extra fee for them, how much do they cost?

Thanks,
Terry

Christopher Barrett
31-Jul-2015, 05:52
Cool stuff, Buddy. When my 4x10 kit came, I think I was almost as impressed with the holders as I was with the camera. Awesome gear. Mine also came with the sleeves, which I dig.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/07/4e/84074e126c978e9e9ecf95ba538716a4.jpg

Roboflick
31-Jul-2015, 05:53
nce video how do these compare to the Toyo 8x10 holders

vinny
31-Jul-2015, 06:22

The pics taken with Toyos are almost as good as those taken with Chamonix holders.

Bruce Barlow
31-Jul-2015, 07:02
A great idea! Glad you did it.

A suggestion: do you own a tripod??? Maybe??? Doing the unpacking with one hand, and when you have to cut out cutting them out, f'rinstance, it's sorta distracting. I wanna see it all. Putting the camera on a tripod will give you more freedom, as I'm sure you know.

If you wanna go crazy, do it twice, once with a closeup, once with a wider shot, and intercut to cover minor mistakes. Powder your nose for shine.

Also, as an old video hack, MTV ruined it for us by relying on shaky hand-held camera work. There was a reason why Steadicams were invented. I, personally, find the shakiness distracting.

But please, do more! This was basically excellent, and with minor tweaks would be outstanding. The world needs more outstanding work.

Roboflick
31-Jul-2015, 07:04
The pics taken with Toyos are almost as good as those taken with Chamonix holders.
good one vinny

how about a serious response now? from someone who has used both holders

weight, features etc. In the video i noticed that there is a circular depression on the Chamonix holders that may make it easier to unload film

mstrickland
31-Jul-2015, 08:17
I'm not sure of the exact weight but they are lighter than the plastic fidelity holders by a good margin

Don't tell me that... :(

vinny
31-Jul-2015, 08:35
good one vinny

how about a serious response now? from someone who has used both holders

weight, features etc. In the video i noticed that there is a circular depression on the Chamonix holders that may make it easier to unload film

I have used both. I've never paid more than $25 (mostly $10) for the thirty fidelity/lisco 8x10 holders I own. Toyos are nice and smooth and the chamonix stuff is also very nice. I don't sell/frame film holders though.

ghostcount
31-Jul-2015, 10:01

I have used both. I've never paid more than $25 (mostly $10) for the thirty fidelity/lisco 8x10 holders I own. Toyos are nice and smooth and the chamonix stuff is also very nice. I don't sell/frame film holders though.

Bump.

Roboflick
31-Jul-2015, 10:17
good points, but I've gotten light leaks with the old cheap holders, maybe I've just been unlucky

Bob Salomon
31-Jul-2015, 10:23
Nice start. But you should wear shoes for the next one!

Alan Gales
31-Jul-2015, 10:43

Why shoes, Bob? Stone was completely naked for the whole demonstration.

StoneNYC
31-Jul-2015, 13:13
The unboxing video of the 8x10" sheet film holders was nicely done.

Do you or anyone else know if Chamonix 4x5" sheet film holders also are shipped with those nice padded pouches? If so, how many sheet film holders are the pouches designed to hold?

If there is an extra fee for them, how much do they cost?

Thanks,
Terry

Terry,

I don't know for sure, The 4x5 holders seem to be significantly less money than the rest of the larger holders, so I would suspect that perhaps part of that is due to not getting a bag but I suggest someone ask Chamonix directly.

At some point I'll be buying two 4x5 holders, my 4x5 system consists of FOUR grafmatic holders and the photobackpacker cascade which holds 6 holders so I'll probably just snag 2 more holders, maybe 4 (two per zippered pouch) but I'm not shooting much 4x5 these days so it's not a priority, but I do think I'll be selling my plastic 4x5 holders too.

The pouches only hold one holder, too tight for more than one. They come free as part of the price.

I've only owned fidelity and lisco holders.

I believe the Toyo were based off the patent of the Fidelity? But with tighter tolerances?

I mostly didn't like the way the larger 8x10 and bigger fidelity holders would flex, and the tolerances weren't as tight as the 4x5's, I had light leak issues with some (that I sold for parts) and static issues (dry climate in winter) with light tight holders that I sold to someone else.

I just got tired of all the issues, bought 2 Chamonix to try them, and had NO issues and was sold.

A great idea! Glad you did it.

A suggestion: do you own a tripod??? Maybe??? Doing the unpacking with one hand, and when you have to cut out cutting them out, f'rinstance, it's sorta distracting. I wanna see it all. Putting the camera on a tripod will give you more freedom, as I'm sure you know.

If you wanna go crazy, do it twice, once with a closeup, once with a wider shot, and intercut to cover minor mistakes. Powder your nose for shine.

Also, as an old video hack, MTV ruined it for us by relying on shaky hand-held camera work. There was a reason why Steadicams were invented. I, personally, find the shakiness distracting.

But please, do more! This was basically excellent, and with minor tweaks would be outstanding. The world needs more outstanding work.

Ironically after working on movie sets for eight years, I totally know what you mean with the steady cam etc. and the shitty shaky can BS on TV.

That said, my iPhone doesn't have a tripod mount.

I think I balanced the phone on a stool last time for the x-ray emulsion stripping video. (Stripping the emulsion...).

I'll try and do something else next time for smoother shots, but I don't want to make a bunch of cuts and close ups etc, I edited this on my iPhone in iMovie :)

Don't tell me that... :(

Sorry man, I mean it really doesn't matter THAT much, but if you carry 6 you're saving a bunch, I know the 4x5's are also lighter than the plastic equivalent.

good points, but I've gotten light leaks with the old cheap holders, maybe I've just been unlucky

No that's why I decided on new ones, I just said to myself one day... Was the trip to Nova Scotia, film cost, development cost, and time investment worth the "savings" on used holders when one leaks..? NOPE NO WAY and so to me, the holders are cheap, I'm saving money in the end :)

The circular depressions are common in most holders I've seen, the lisco and fidelity holders had them too. I'm pretty sure all holders have them but I could be wrong.

Or not put my feet in the shot ;)

No I was in shorts, but it's hot and my flip flops clip clap too much so my feet were quieter for the video I had thought.

The emulsion stripping video I was in my PJ's haha.

PS Chris, yea the 4x10's I have are Lotus and they are the only holders I've seen that could rival the Chamonix ones, but I got them at a price I couldn't resist.

My favorite part is the carbon fiber dark slide. This DEFINITELY helps prevent static issues.

Kirk Gittings
31-Jul-2015, 13:50

bump :)

Christopher Barrett
31-Jul-2015, 15:13
unrelated... the wife and I are thinking about adding an apartment near NYC... where's reasonable nowadays? If i gained a half dozen assignments a year from being there that would pay for it.

StoneNYC
31-Jul-2015, 17:44
unrelated... the wife and I are thinking about adding an apartment near NYC... where's reasonable nowadays? If i gained a half dozen assignments a year from being there that would pay for it.

I'll PM you.

AlexGard
3-Sep-2015, 10:28
AtlantaTerry: Not sure if relevant but I have Chamonix 4x5 and 8x10 wet plate holders.
The 8x10 came in the lovely pouch, the 4x5 did not. I don't know if this applies to the sheet film holders. I'm sure if you asked Hugo he would tell you, he's very responsive to questions.
The function of the chammy holders, in my limited experience, is very smooth and easy when compared to my fidelity and toyo holders. Chammy are definitely very high quality materials, although in saying that I wouldn't throw out functioning plastic holders just to replace them with chamonix ones.

john borrelli
5-Sep-2015, 18:27
I have Toyo and Chamonix 4X5 holders.
The Chamonix holders are lighter and that is important to me. The Chamonix holders look better my wood field, not so important to me. If you held a straight edge up to the flat sides of both holders the toyos might look flatter, meaning they might sit flatter in the camera. Chamonix holders seem a tiny bit more difficult to load. However, I prefer the Chamonix holders in part because of the following procedure. I shoot an image put the dark slide in and while the holder is still in the camera I lock the dark slide in place. All of my holders are unlocked until I shoot the image. I don't worry about the grey notch versus the white notch facing outward any more. I have goofed up a lot less with film double exposed versus not exposed at all since using the Chamonix holders.