PDA

View Full Version : The Man from Nellerød....

Emil Schildt
30-Jul-2015, 03:57
or JPA (Jens peter Andersen) was a Danish camera maker - he was rather amazing: he made about 450+ cameras - ALL Unique and numbered...

He was the first to make a 35mm camera - for travel in Africa -

In 1895 he made a camera which is in The Royal Theater in Copenhagen... They STILL use it, and there have never been any repair needed.. Craftmanship I think..

Not all cameras are known (numbers are missing) but it seems an unknown one just surfaced - made around 1900 - travelled to Norway and Greenland.

Totally intact including bag and 6 cassettes - and more than 200 glass negatives from Norway and Greenland...

I want it!!! Badly!!!

Here is something about him - In Danish, I know, but there's a lot of interesting images to study...

http://www.objektiv.dk/objektiv/skannede_numre/obj66.pdf

Roger Thoms
30-Jul-2015, 06:22
Wow, thanks for posting this, very interesting. So many unique cameras. Can't read Danish, but really enjoyed the photographs.

Roger

hoffner
30-Jul-2015, 07:31
or JPA (Jens peter Andersen) was a Danish camera maker - he was rather amazing: he made about 450+ cameras - ALL Unique and numbered...

Jens Poul Andersen.
I read Danish.

Emil Schildt
30-Jul-2015, 08:03
Jens Poul Andersen.
I read Danish.

crap... :D

Steven Tribe
30-Jul-2015, 10:30
I am impressed by the data that has been collected about the "man from Nellerød" - but rather less than impresssed by his productions, compared with the commercial products available from the mainstream UK, French, German and US at the same period!

In particular, his use of a narrow board, like a rail camera, is something that fell out of fashion very early.. His models look as if they were made in a tiny workshop by a skilled craftsman who didn't think much about making a stylish and attractive end result. Especialy the brasswork doen't seen integrated in the design.

Danes have a lot of noise about the wooden box being the first 35mm camera and, perhaps, it did work! But it was obviously a complete deadend. The future lay with perforated film and metal bodies.

Emil Schildt
6-Aug-2015, 03:13
well - it has now been valuated and is up for auction in a big auction house in September...

Estimated value is up to about 6.000$...

Old-N-Feeble
6-Aug-2015, 09:04
Wow, what a Great Dane. Way to go dawg!! :D

Steven Tribe
7-Aug-2015, 10:12
well - it has now been valuated and is up for auction in a big auction house in September...

Estimated value is up to about 6.000$...

I just don't understand their evaluation!

This is of very local interest and there are no big collectors of historic photographic items (Institutional or Private) in Denmark (it takes at least 2 to tango!).

There was a local maker in Sweden of large format cameras from around 1945 - 1960 and his cameras are either on a par with the major makers in auction prices - or, perhaps, 20 per cent more.

Emil Schildt
7-Aug-2015, 12:21
I told him "they don't know"...

now we'll see...

Emil Schildt
17-Sep-2015, 03:16
I just don't understand their evaluation!

This is of very local interest and there are no big collectors of historic photographic items (Institutional or Private) in Denmark (it takes at least 2 to tango!).

so it sold...

a kind of tango was made I think... a Little less than 4000$ + fees..

http://www.bruun-rasmussen.dk/sold-items.do?pg=4&iid=300773163&lang=en&mode=detail

Michael Clark
17-Sep-2015, 20:56
I noticed that some of his early sheet film camera's had metal (aluminum) sheet film holders.

Steven Tribe
18-Sep-2015, 11:41
I can only imagine that the 270 stereoscopic images from 1901 onwards must represent over 1/2 the value. Perhaps even a lot of autochromes amongst them?

Aluminium was popular in Europe after 1900 for plate holders - most often with Goerz and Mentor Cameras.

Michael Clark
18-Sep-2015, 22:48
They look rather modern to me when I think of all the older wood film holders.

Emil Schildt
28-Dec-2016, 08:27
Fun story I heard today:
Elderly lady spots a nice looking wooden box at a charity shop - got it for about $4... then found out it was an old camera and sold it for about $60...

Turns out it is a non recorded hand made camera by Jens Poul Andersen (The man from Nellerød)....

He made about 450 cameras and marked them all - all handmade - all different.

This is a stereo camera with septum - working shutter and in remarkable condition - no scratches and deep in color....

And now it is mine... :)

jnantz
28-Dec-2016, 08:57
fantastic news !
looks like 2017 will be in 3D :)

stawastawa
28-Dec-2016, 12:43
The breadth of his work is impressive - Large format, studio, travel, stereo, 35mm, motion picture ...

I wonder if that collection of stereo slides will get digitized and presented somewhere, would be nice to see.

Congrats on your find! I am curios what lenses you will put on it.
Do show images when you have taken some!

Emil Schildt
28-Dec-2016, 13:00
The breadth of his work is impressive - Large format, studio, travel, stereo, 35mm, motion picture ...

I wonder if that collection of stereo slides will get digitized and presented somewhere, would be nice to see.

Congrats on your find! I am curios what lenses you will put on it.
Do show images when you have taken some!

it already have unnamed lenses behind the metal plate (shutter of his own design)...

Alas no cassette..

chassis
28-Dec-2016, 14:06
Congratulations Emil! Out of curiosity, where did you find it? At a second hand shop, a camera dealer, word of mouth? Very interesting find indeed!

Emil Schildt
29-Dec-2016, 04:48
Congratulations Emil! Out of curiosity, where did you find it? At a second hand shop, a camera dealer, word of mouth? Very interesting find indeed!

as written above: "Elderly lady spots a nice looking wooden box at a charity shop - got it for about $4... then found out it was an old camera and sold it for about $60... "

A friend of mine was that buyer and we have now schwitched (sp?) items. I have his camera and he is trying out some of my lenses - if he is satisfied by this, then it is officially mine..

Now I have it more as a ransome... :)