PDA

View Full Version : How do I transfer programs and files to new computer?

ignatiusjk
29-Jul-2015, 16:41
I'm getting a new computer soon and was wondering how do I transfer all of my Photoshop photos and Photoshop itself over to my new computer.Will I have to reinstall my Epson 3800 printer into the new computer as well??I hope this isn't a big ordeal.

BrianShaw
29-Jul-2015, 16:58
It can be a big ordeal if you don't know how to do it. Do you live in an area supported by Geek Squad. Help from someone like that might be a good investment.

ignatiusjk
29-Jul-2015, 18:32
Well my stepson are good with computers so I was going to rely on them,possibly.

BrianShaw
29-Jul-2015, 19:45
The photos can be copied and transferred just like any file. I'm not sure but would bet that photoshop will need to be loaded from the original media. You should be able to download the printer drivers from the Internet

Preston
29-Jul-2015, 22:10
Brian is correct. You'll have to copy and transfer your files to the new computer either with a USB thumb drive, or over a network. You'll need to reinstall your applications, including Photo Shop. You can easily download a driver for your 3880, and, if you use Epson profiles, you can download and install a fresh set.

If you're not comfortable doing these things, get help.

Oh, one other thing: If this is a new computer from Dell, HP, or...it will come with lots of trial (i.e. junk) software. Before you copy new files, or install any thing, uninstall this stuff. A lot of it runs at start up, and runs in the background, slowing down your computer. You'll be happier if it's gone.

--P

pinup tragic
30-Jul-2015, 04:59
you may have a newer version of photoshop - i have 2 photoshop elements 9 and 11 download installs ( only 9 active ) and CS6 from a kosher Adobe disc - all registered...You may be lucky enough to just install the version from disc - or get it again from Adobe via your profile there. It can be a little tricky as they only allow xx amount of installs or something - i think you de activate. Good luck - it may pay in future to back up all image files on a couple of portable hard drives - 2 because of failure..i have Hasselblad .FFF scanner files around 326 Mb's and up so they take up a lot of space - Also have a look at the black viper website he has plenty of tips to lighten the load and remove rubbish you never need http://www.blackviper.com/

hoffner
30-Jul-2015, 05:18
From forum's guidelines: Be sure to give a descriptive title to your question. For people searching or browsing the archives, a nonsensical or uninformative subject (like "Oops!", "Read this!", or even "Lenses") just makes it harder for people to find answers to questions.

wilderness
30-Jul-2015, 08:27
I'm getting a new computer soon and was wondering how do I transfer all of my Photoshop photos and Photoshop itself over to my new computer.Will I have to reinstall my Epson 3800 printer into the new computer as well??I hope this isn't a big ordeal.

FWIW, this inquiry is very troubling to me!
If your not aware of how to transfer the files, than it also states that you do NOT have backup procedures in place for your precious photo files.
I'd suggest you explore and acquire regular backup procedures immediately.

dasBlute
30-Jul-2015, 09:06
Programs will almost certainly not work by copying them, there's too much configuration to get right.
You must re-install.

But you need to backup your personal data, photos, letters, docs, etc.
each operating system: windows, mac, linux, offers some type of backup.
but those will usually store the backup in a format you cannot access easily.

what follows mimics what those systems do.

---

- This is a "poor man's" backup strategy, manual, reliable as you, probably works.

- get two external USB HD drives, say 4TB or so, plug then in, format them. We'll call them hd1 and hd2
- copy files from computer to hd1
- copy hd1 to hd2

- Resist the urge to use one of them them as a working directory, they should be a backup, not your every day workspace.

- when you get the new computer, copy hd1 to new computer.

- once you're up and running, manually once a week:

* copy new files/dirs to hd1
* copy hd1 to hd2

- tim

BrianShaw
30-Jul-2015, 09:20
I use Tim's "poor man backup" scheme in an even more frugal manner - only have 1 external HD. I manually copy the files then lock up the HD in a fire-proof, nuclear-hardened location that is temperature controlled and free from animal dander or other allergens.

It takes time to do those backups however so I've started using a backup program. The first backup takes time but the subsequent backups (echo mode) are just what changed. Much quicker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy

I back up libraries separately to make transition to a new computer easier: Documents, Pictures, Music, and the desktop files.

Old_Dick
30-Jul-2015, 11:03
Depending on any restrictions of your email, you could always email them to yourself. If you are on anything other then windoz, you can do a tar compress and email them.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)

dasBlute
30-Jul-2015, 11:27
Depending on any restrictions of your email, you could always email them to yourself. If you are on anything other then windoz, you can do a tar compress and email them.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)

even gmail has limits on attachment size, 8Gb if I remember.

Preston
30-Jul-2015, 12:11
I wouldn't use e-mail due to security issues and slow upload speed.

I think your best bet is to copy the folders or files you want transfer to a USB thumb drive, over a home network if you have one, or purchase an external USB hard drive.
If you have an external hard drive, copy the files from your old box to it. Next, hook it up to the new computer and then transfer the files to your new drive. Once you're done, you can use the external drive for a system backup.

--P

Sirius Glass
30-Jul-2015, 14:20
If you have an Apple, install the old hard drive as a second hard drive in the new computer before you turn on the computer for the first time. OS 10 will start up and ask it you want to port an older drives contents to the new computer and point to the old hard drive. Answer "yes" and the computer will do the work. When the process is OS will tell you which software needs updates and where to get the downloads for the updates, and which software is obsolete and needs to be replace. Very easy. I have done it.

If you are using a PC then you are just so screwed. Poor soul. :(

Paul H
31-Jul-2015, 03:56
If you've got an Apple, the initial setup of the new one will ask if you have a time-machine backup or older Apple computer from which you'd like to transfer your users, applications and programs. It even worked when (ages ago) migrating from a Powerbook to MacBook Pro (different processor types).

Windows does have a migration assistant, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive. You could use an external drive and backup utility to transfer your data, but you'll still need to re-install all your programs.

ic-racer
31-Jul-2015, 04:14

I use iTunes or 'image capture' to get my iPhone pictures from one computer to the next.

Bill McMannis
1-Aug-2015, 06:29
Either OneDrive or iCloud can be the intermediary for file transfer. Great for accessingyour files from multiple computers.

HMG
1-Aug-2015, 12:20
First, download one of the many programs that will scan your current machine and report back serial numbers for licensed products. Keep that list handy.

Second, as mentioned elsewhere, take the time to remove bloatware (generally useless s/w the manufacturer is paid to place on the machine).

Third, run both spybot and malware bytes on both hard drives (new and old). The "old" so you don't transfer anything to the "new". The "new" because regardless of what you did before, there will be crap from the bloatware.

Fourth, purchase a usb external enclosure for your "old" hard drive (about $15-25). That will allow you to transfer your files and provide an ongoing backup. If you need a hard drive to sell your old computer, buy one and reinstall windows (if that's what your running).