PDA

View Full Version : g-claron 150mm 9 resolution

kleinbatavia
28-Jul-2015, 01:35
The other day, I picked up a fogged g-claron 150mm 9 at an estate sale. Pulled it apart and cleaned it. The fog came off easily, however, most of the coating on the inside of the rear element is gone. Not expecting much, I popped the cells straight in an old copal 0 and took the lens out. Took some random snaps and here is the surprise. Even with the coating bust, this little lens very easily out-resolved any of my other 150mm schneider and rodenstock lenses. It is also in a different league than my 210mm lenses. Just wondering whether I got the magic copy of this lens or whether this is to be expected? In the last case, I will rush to find a clean copy of the lens as I am very impressed. I realise that it might not be as great in color, I'll use another 150mm for that, but for B&W I currently have nothing that matches it. Odd...

Lachlan 717
28-Jul-2015, 03:02
My 355mm G Claron is easily my sharpest lens.

I compared my 240mm Claron with the coveted Fujinon 240mm A and sold the latter.

They're great lenses with the benefit of massive coverage.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jul-2015, 06:10
Mine certainly aren't better than 150 plasmats, but they are as good and smaller and lighter with ample 5X7 coverage. This is based solely on looking at negatives and prints, not doing resolution chart comparisons.

carverlux
28-Jul-2015, 07:43
.... Just wondering whether I got the magic copy of this lens or whether this is to be expected? ...

It kinda depends on which version of the G-Claron you got.

The older Dagor-layout, generally with serial number between 10 000 000 and 12 000 000, were stunning lenses based not only on its design but manufacturing quality. And the Dagor-layout provided very gradual out-of-focus transitions that many see as great bokeh. These two aspects combine to make the lenses excellent performers and are well worth looking for. I love mine.

Drew Wiley
28-Jul-2015, 08:19
I don't have a 150. Wish I did. But otherwise, G-Clarons have proven superior to any general-purpose plasmats I've owned. And I like the similar but multi-coated
Fuji A's even better. It's probably easier to engineer a high-performance lens if you don't need as wide a max aperture as typical plasmats. Later G-Clarons are
really modified plasmats with superior close-range performance, though superb at infinity too.

kleinbatavia
28-Jul-2015, 10:07
Hmm, sounds like I just stumbled across a winner. Will look for a copy with good coating too. I also picked up a g-claron 240mm for 25 bucks. Haven't used it yet though as I need to switch it with another lens. Does anyone have standardised aperture scales for copal shutters for the 150mm and 240mm? I've sort of winged it on the 150 test shots and got in the general ballpark, but more exact settings would be nice. Thanks!

Lachlan 717
28-Jul-2015, 16:40
Hmm, sounds like I just stumbled across a winner. Will look for a copy with good coating too. I also picked up a g-claron 240mm for 25 bucks. Haven't used it yet though as I need to switch it with another lens. Does anyone have standardised aperture scales for copal shutters for the 150mm and 240mm? I've sort of winged it on the 150 test shots and got in the general ballpark, but more exact settings would be nice. Thanks!

PM me with your email address and I'll scan and send my 240mm scales in the next couple of days.

ruilourosa
29-Jul-2015, 05:36
It would be super if you could send tio me too!!! i have a 240 that i´m trying to mount on a compur 1.

Thanks

Lachlan 717
29-Jul-2015, 10:41
I'll post these scales ASAP.

kleinbatavia
29-Jul-2015, 14:09
That's great, cheers Lachlan!

Jordan
1-Aug-2015, 12:03
Post the scales here if you can. I once used the 305mm g-claron and it truly was noticeably sharp. I was considering the idea of using one again recently in the 210mm focal length for some close up work on an 8x10. They're also quite inexpensive. Interesting to find out that the older ones were a but nice according to Drew. When I decide to try and find one I'll have to inquire about its serial number as well.

Peter Gomena
1-Aug-2015, 12:31
My 305 G-Claron is the sharpest LF lens I own. All the others are by the same manufacturer and of the same vintage. It surprises me every time I use it because I forget how sharp it is. I wouldn't mind owning some G-Clarons in other focal lengths because of their coverage and sharpness.

Lachlan 717
1-Aug-2015, 15:35
Post the scales here if you can.

Already done. See DIY section.