PDA

View Full Version : "Sinar Schneider 4 shot lens" - what is this thing?

pdh
28-Jul-2015, 01:27
I tripped over this oddity while looking for something else, & in trying to find anything out, my google-fu has seemingly abandoned me .

How and what for was it used?

I hope this link remains active for long enough for someone to answer

http://www.mrcad.co.uk/CarouselProductView.ink?Row_ID=514312&pcode=MC514312

IanG
28-Jul-2015, 02:01
It would be for passport or prison/police mugshots as there's a extension piece as well to frame 4 exposures on one sheet of film. The interesting part would be what shutters was used.

Ian

pdh
28-Jul-2015, 02:16
Ah yes, of course.
I thought the bit at the back was just propping up the board for the image, but can see now how it works.
How shuttering was done is a good question!

thanks Ian

Steven Tribe
28-Jul-2015, 06:01
I have one of these which came with a Sinar lot.

Standard Passport lens set for Polaroid back on Sinar. These have fixed aperture at F8.

Note that the lenses have colour code spots. Mine is (from bottom left) white, red, green and yellow!

I don't value it quite as high as MrCad does!!

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2015, 06:37
It was more likely intended for science and engineering purposes. Passport or mug-shot cameras are usually inexpensive builds.

Jerry Bodine
28-Jul-2015, 08:25
Checked this out in my Sinar System Handbook by Carl Koch (pg. 49). To quote:

The lenses are four 125mm Schneider Radionar f/8 units, supplied with four interchangeable f/11 Waterhouse stops. The exposure is controlled with the Sinar Shutter and by adjusting the lighting intensity.

Oren Grad
28-Jul-2015, 08:40
Radionars are triplets, no? And with very limited and simple aperture control in this mount. Seems like cost was indeed a major consideration for the intended application.

IanG
28-Jul-2015, 08:50
It was more likely intended for science and engineering purposes. Passport or mug-shot cameras are usually inexpensive builds.

That's only true when Polaroid entered the market themselves with cheap dedicated Passport photo cameras, before that you have cameras based on systems like this Sinar, there are other similar systems .

You don't use a fixed focus 4 shot lens set on cameras for science & engineering.

Yes Oren, the Radionar is a triplet.

Ian

Pete Watkins
28-Jul-2015, 10:24
Yeah, beware of Mr Cad.
Voice of experience speaking.
Pete.