PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this e & ht anthony portrait lens

Primo I.
27-Jul-2015, 20:16
Hi everyone,
I just picked this lens up this weekend while browsing through a huge open air flea market. It wasn't on display. I was explaining to the vendor that his price for a particular camera was a tad high. He then said, wait I'll show you something you might be interested in and he pulls out this brass Petzval type lens. We discussed how he happened to get his hands on it, made an offer and purchased it. The glass is pristine, no marks, scratches, etc.. The only mark on it is E A Trade Mark France and the # 2 on the barrel. I know it's a E Anthony portrait lens but can't seem to pinpoint which one. I looked at a 1891 E Anthony catalog and just can't figure it out. I was hoping someone out there could identify it. It's about 7 1/2 inches tall. Here are some quick pictures of it.137661137662137663137664

Steven Tribe
29-Jul-2015, 02:27
I hesitated in replying yesterday as there are plenty of people who know far more than I do about the History of Anthony!

The trademark was only used for a few years after Darlot had introduced his similar AD logo. Although B.French of Boston had the Darlot rights for the USA, it is very likely that camera makers (like Anthony) were able to buy in bulk from Darlot - as long as the lenses were not marked Darlot. There could be lens edge marking (pencil or Indian ink) which might help you - either on the achromat or the double concave rear lens.

Primo I.
30-Jul-2015, 12:03
Steve,

Thank you for the reply, I do appreciate it. I took it apart and unfortunately there is no mark or markings on the side of the lenses. I have a funny feeling it may be a 5D portrait lens, but not really sure as of yet. I am going to attempt to figure out the focal length which might just get me closer to the answer. At I hope it does.