PDA

View Full Version : Carry-On Worst Case Scenarios

Frank Petronio
6-Feb-2005, 10:11
I'm pinning (pining?) for the days when I could carry the (older, larger) Lightware case and a Domke bag as airline carry-ons. I could travel with a complete 3-lens large, medium, and 35mm format set, plus film, and even a change of underwear and a good book. Of course my cell phone was almost as large as my 4x5...

When I look at the latest carry on regulations, and compare to the bag manufacturers, if I go by absolutes, the largest backpack I can use is a Lowe-Pro Mini-Trekker. Now, I know a lot of you are going to chime in a say "Last week I got my Super-Trekker on with no problems..." but I don't want to base my plans on the mercy of their subjective decision, especially 5 minutes from take-off.

I've tried everyway I can - stripping the camera down to parts, etc. - to get a 4x5 Arca, a couple of lenses and Gnass film holder pack (the bare minium) into a Mini-Trekker and it just ain't going to happen. I have a large Lightware trunk that gets checked for real jobs, but for casual travel (i.e. with my spouse) I sure would like to go lighter. And even for jobs, I never liked the idea of the trunk case getting pandered by the TSA.

Is it Toho time? Or should I just get a beater Crown Graphic, with a Ektar, and throw it into the checked bags, as it is the proverbal cockroach of cameras?

Finally, I've always check my tripods since 9-11. Anybody ever get a tripod in as carry-on?

David A. Goldfarb
6-Feb-2005, 10:27
I always seem to get my Crumpler Fux Deluxe (about 18"x13"x12") on the plane with Tech V, 5 or 6 lenses, usual odds and ends, a laptop, film in the top usually in a lead bag, empty Grafmatics in checked luggage, tripod checked in a Tenba TTP case. At the destination, the laptop comes out (it's not for photography) and the filmholders go in.

I can also carry on my Gowland 8x10" PocketView with 5 lenses or so and all the usuals, laptop, film in boxes, with empty filmholders and tripod in checked luggage as above. All in an ordinary knapsack made for laptop computers, just like lots of other people are carrying on the plane.

Doug Dolde
6-Feb-2005, 11:11
Dana Designs makes a carry on size backpack called the Hiatus. 1800 cu in.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2005, 11:13
I use a Lightware insert from their MF 1217 case that goes directly into a Rimowa regular roller case for carry on (the MF 1217 on its own works too, of course, but does not roll, and in my experience a regular carry-on rollercase prompts less questions at the check-in counter about carry-on weight than a backpack). It holds a Technikardan 4x5 + bag bellows, Pentax digital Spotmeter, 7 lenses from 55-450mm on Technika boards, lightweight homemade dark cloth, 6 filters (67mm), Lee Kompendium with several step-up rings, Readyload holder, glasses, cable releases. Film or extra holders have to go into the checked luggage, as well as the tripod.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2005, 11:15
Of course the film does NOT go into the checked luggage! Sorry about the misstatement.

Scott Rosenberg
6-Feb-2005, 11:34
frank... i've traveled all over europe, the us, and canada and never once had to check my dana designs new world backpack. it's about 2,800 cu in with plenty of room for my entire tech IV kit: camera, 4 lenses, quickload holder, 545i holder, loupe, meter, one box of type 54, filter wallet, cleaning tools, and bellows lens shade. the tripod always got checked. 4-6 boxes of packet film are carried seperately for hand check at the security gate.

good luck,
scott

Scott Rosenberg
6-Feb-2005, 11:36
forgot to mention, i'm switching over to an eclipse osprey 42+5 or switch 42+5 pack, as they are panel loaders. the lowepro omni line of cases will slide into the pack and protect everything nicely.

scott

Hans Berkhout
6-Feb-2005, 11:51
Gitzo 1228. Fits easily in carry on, remove head. Too many leg sections though but nothing is perfect.

Jay Wolfe
6-Feb-2005, 11:55
I travel twice a month on business and almost never check bags. I use a carry-on wheely bag that's about 23 x 14 x 10 that goes in the overhead and a computer/brief-case bag that usually goes under the seat. I've never had a problem except when I've run very late and all of the overhead were full, or where I'm on a small commuter plane. In those cases, the airline will 'gate check' the bag and return it to me at the gate when leaving the plane. I'm sure I could get the vital 8x10 gear in this bag, and check the less valuable and fragile gear. Traveling today is more of a chore, but it's still doable. Don't give up!

Glenn Kroeger
6-Feb-2005, 11:58
Frank:

I the US, things have actually improved somewhat since 9/11. Before that, some of the carry-on Xray machines had plexiglass templates through which your baggage had to slide. The opening was the official 9"x14". Those have been removed since everything has to get put in bins these days.

Depending on how paranoid one is, the size is restricted to 9"x14"x22" or about 45" total L+W+H. The old Saunders Outpack was exactly this size, and I was able to pack an Arca-Swiss 4x5 Field wrapped in a dark cloth in the large compartment, a 3 lens Gnass case in the middle compartment, and a couple of boxed of QL in the top compartment with the QL holder in a Gnass case. All of the pockets had to be empty. The latest versions of this bag actually had a decent suspension system.

I also had a Photo-Trekker that would just clear these dimensions with empty pockets, but I suspect all of the LowePro packs have grown... won't a Nature-Trekker fit?

If you don't like the separate external compartments (and the Outpack elicited either love or hate) you can find other dedicated photo carry-ons. Here is the newest Caddy/Bimmer/MB of these:

http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html#arpt_adct (http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html#arpt_adct)

Too rich for my blood!

Mark Erickson
6-Feb-2005, 12:21
$400 for a carry-on sized bag? Great Caesar's Ghost! Those bags are expensive...

Glenn Kroeger
6-Feb-2005, 12:33
Mark:

I agree, but if I am SI and sending out a photographer with a Canon 400 2.8L IS and a couple of 1D MkII bodies, I've got $15K-$20K of equipment in the bag... so what's $400?

Neal Shields
6-Feb-2005, 13:32
It isn't the size but the weight. Some of the major airlines can be very legalistic about weight limits on carry on bags.

I have been told Quantas had an overhead break during a rough landing and they will make you check anything above their weight limit of 15# (or less). Last I looked British Airways had a carry on limit of 8 pounds.

I have regulation roll aboards but they weigh almost 8# empty.

On our last trip to Australia on Qantas, I was able to buy the lightest cheapest camera bags that I could find at Target (we took the to the grocery dept to weigh them) and packed my wife's underwater gear in them wrapped in bubble pack. By that time, with a couple of paper backs to read on the plane, we were at the weight limit and I had to leave my underwater video gear at home (they broke a houseing rated to 300' last time I checked it.)

With my old roll aboard I had foam cut so that if I absolutely had to give it up, it was packed well enought to protect the equipment (sometimes on island hops there is not way to take anything into the cabin).

When you have to pack to meet weight restrictions you are then not packed well enough to let anyone else handle your bag.

If someone has a solution other than not flying, I would be very happy to hear it.

(P.S. I have flown over 1.5 million miles in my life so this isn't "drawing a trend from a single data point".)

Neal Shields
6-Feb-2005, 13:44
P.S.

Your limit is the worst of either the TSA or the worst airline that you are flying.

In our case going to the Solomons we were business class so were allowed two carry ons but TSA only allowed one carry on and a "personal item" (just try to get a defination of that!). Basically it is what the most unreasonable buerocrat or airline employee says it is.

george jiri loun
6-Feb-2005, 13:53
That's a good point, Neal. Easy Jet in Europe had a 10 pounds limit very strictly controled. Even a simple case not for photography equipment has 6 pounds easily - just so that you can put a pair of handkerchiefs inside... Oversized baggage checked-in filled with foam and your camera secured against moving in it - the only solution I know.

Neal Shields
6-Feb-2005, 14:41
I knew a couple of women that used to put their photo gear in plastic ice chests with a hasp and pad lock and lots of duct tape. No one would ever suspect that they held thousands of dollars worth of photo gear and the thickness of the walls protected the gear against even the worst handeling. However, now that you can't lock your case I am much more uncomfortable with checking gear that is necessary for the vacation.

If you gear is lost or stolen it is insured but tell me what you do about the time off work and the thousands of dollars that you spend on an underwater diving vacation where the main purpose was to take photographs and your gear isn't there when you show up???

Want to see a picture of me standing in Red Square in January with no overcoat?

(Some boats have rental gear but it is very limited and subject to prior rental.) I know that this is large format but the problem is exactly the same.

My wife wants to take an underwater photo course in Caymans. If she did that I would want to used large format to photograph the island. I can't figure out how to get both my gear and hers to the island safely.

I would love to take my Linhof and 6 lenses but if I go at all I am sure I will end up with a Crown and one or two slow light lenses. ( My crown is mint and I really wouldn't want to lose it either.)

QT Luong
6-Feb-2005, 14:56
I thought that the TSA had a new regulation that allows professional photographers to carry one camera bag, in addition to the items allowed for other passengers. Also, you can put a lot of gear in a bag if you remove absolutely all the liners and dividers. Since you'll be the only one handling the bag, this shouldn't be a problem even if your lenses are rubbing against each other.

Brian Ellis
6-Feb-2005, 15:33
I've carried on three different back packs over the years, including the second largest of the Lowe Trekker series. Never had any problems as long as the pack would fit in an overhead compartment (and the Trekker did but just barely). I've never had any airline check the weight.

Michael Gordon
6-Feb-2005, 15:57
Mr. Goldfarb: just how does one pronounce "Fux Deluxe"? :)

Frank Petronio
6-Feb-2005, 16:04
I've been using the large Lightware trunk case for the past 4-5 flights and it works great, but you really need a SUV or mini-van rental - it is too big for a Buick-Ford sedan trunk. Plus, while I haven't yet had a problem, I hate the idea of inspectors repacking the case improperly - a lot of my gear is delicate, especially if you put it away wrong.

When we went to China (to adopt) I just took a D-70 and two primes, not even a laptop (just bought more CF cards...) and it was really, really a pleasure to go through security - but damn, I often wished I had a real camera with me!

Jim Rice
6-Feb-2005, 16:27
If you'll recall Frank, I advised you to take the Rollei. ;-)

Glenn Kroeger
6-Feb-2005, 16:40
Michael:

We can't spoil the fun for you! Go to:

www.crumplerusa.com

Look under Messenger Bags. Enjoy the ride!

Michael Gordon
6-Feb-2005, 16:47
" BIG STRONG TOP OF THE RANGE GURU GENITAL CONNECTION DEVICE ALSO FOR STORAG (sic)"

Huh? :)

David A. Goldfarb
6-Feb-2005, 17:10
Hey, it's a good bag! It's a messenger bag that you can add a photo insert to. I've carried it on day hikes and it's surprisingly comfortable. The weight is well distributed across the chest and against your back.

Frank Petronio
6-Feb-2005, 17:24
Crumplers really are about the triumph of copywriting aren't they?

Once you get RA, the thought of a messenger bag or Domke style PJ bag, or any sort of shoulder bag hanging off your shoulder is scary. Even a $500 Billingham. I'm a backpack man from here on out (even if you have to set them down in the mud...) - my shoulders are now only slightly and equally bruised, but at least I don't have the semi-permanent crease and hunch from the old Domke days.

True that you might be able to squeeze an Arca into a regualtion bag, but I guess I'm reaching the juncture where I either become a two-camera man... some little guy for travel, and a big, comfortable hawg for outta the car...

Jim - as for the Rollei, I sold the good one I had and have bought two since, trying to match it. I must of had a magical one, cause these news ones just don't have "it." I am gumb, fumb, dumb...

Jim Rice
6-Feb-2005, 18:17
Pisser about the Rollei, Frank.

Tom Westbrook
6-Feb-2005, 18:20
Interesting. The specs on the LowePro web site for the Pro Trekker (the one I use) are dead wrong. They say exterior dimensions are 21W x 15D x 23.5H. No way is it 21 inches wide! Mine, fully loaded, measures 12Wx11Dx23.5H, which is pretty close to the carry-on limit, and if you didn’t overstuff it like I do, you can trim a few inches off to make it legal. I’ve flown a number of times with mine and they let me through without even a raised eyebrow (TSA, though, has a field day with the contents). It won’t fit under the seat easily, but will squeeze into an overhead.

FWIW, here's an interesting compilation of carry-on limits for a number of airlines: http://www.savewealth.com/travel/tips/carryon/ (http://www.savewealth.com/travel/tips/carryon/)

Michael S. Briggs
6-Feb-2005, 18:35
I find no difficulty in packing a 4x5 field camera to carry on US airlines, for both domestic and internation flights. The only thing that I check is my tripod. Most US airlines follow the FAA limits and allow a carryon of up to 9 x 14 x 22 inches and 40 pounds, plus a personal item of up to briefcase size. The TSA allows any size that fits into the x-ray machine. There is a special TSA rule that allows a photographer an extra bag, but the airline may not allow this -- I have never tried.

I use a roll-on that is about 9 x 13 x 18, smaller than most. In this I fit a Linhof Technikardan, up to 5 lenses, spotmeter, filters, ball head, bag bellows and boxes of film. I put my film holders, book and misc stuff in a much smaller canves style briefcase bag that qualifies as my "personal item". The camera is in a plastic bag and the lenses are in lens wraps. There are no interior partitions. The weight is well under 40 pounds.

On small commuter flights the carryon gets checked at the side of the plane, and similarly returned at the end of the flight. There is less opportunity for theft and the handlers seem to treat these bags more carefully. Using a standard roll-on bag doesn't shout "expensive photographic equipment".

I check my tripod inside of my suitcase. Check well before your trip that it will fit. In some cases you might have to take it apart.

If you want to do LF photography, fly a US airline if possible and bring your equipment. If you want a camera case or back pack that is sold for photography and it won't fit the carryon dimensions, put your clothes into it and check it. You can use different packing arrangement for the flight versus for when you are taking photographs. Some cameras might have to be disassembled to fit.

The only problem I ever had was with my small tool kit, which has several small screwdrivers and an allen hex wrench. These have to go into the checked baggage.

If you want to use your LF equipement, then use it. Check with your insurance agent for what is covered. You might want to buy supplementary insurance. Generally the airlines do not cover photographic equipment.

videofist
21-Feb-2005, 15:11
i shoot video, stills, and bring along a mobile edit studio with 3 cams.
i travel 2-3 times per month and have used the portabrace items below.
only on very small commuter flights do i need to check the large rolling
bag at the gate. i have never had any problems of any kind, other than security checks. the smaller bag fits on top, over the handle, and holds a GL2 and Digital, SLR and laptop.

The wheeled one holds an XL1s, lenses, and additional hardware

http://www.adorama.com/PBBK2L.html http://www.adorama.com/PBWPC1.html

tripods, lighting, cloths, underwater gear in this as checked baggage

http://www.ebags.com/high_sierra/a_t_gear_access_36_drop_bottom_wheeled_duffel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=17335

Lars Åke Vinberg
23-Feb-2005, 19:11
I have a small rollaboard, which does not indicate that it is heavy like a backpack over your shoulder, plus a couple of taxfree shopping plastic bags which hold my film. Secruity and airline personnel do not object to a taxfree bag or two.

My 4x5 or 6x9 stays in the Phototrekker which goes in a sturdy Northface duffle along with clothing. The 8x10 monorail stays in the Supertrekker which goes into a hard-shell blue plastic Samsonite along with the Gitzo 1548 tripod.

In general, I think that you Americans' love story with carryons is coming to an end - might as well accept it and get suitable bags for checked luggage.

Matt Wensing
15-Mar-2005, 10:51
In October 2004 I traveled from Chicago to Portland (OR) to San Francisco roundtrip without any ID (forgot my driver's license back in Chicago) and carrying on a 1520 Pelican Case containing two lenses, lensboards, shutter, boxes of film, Polaroid 545i, my Toyo 45AX, and even a scary looking shutter release. I was also carrying my Bogen Manfrotto 3221W tripod with 3047 head, and the three-way head arms with threaded ends were in the Pelican case. I was also carrying a Brenthaven backpack with a laptop.

Although getting searched was no problem (the folks were even friendly and very fascinated by my 'old-fashioned' gear), the delays were significant (15 minutes to get the full search). Had I remembered my "government-issued ID", this delay would have been non-existent, but I've had no trouble getting all this equipment through security and carried on to several airplanes on several occassions.

On my way back from California (Yosemite) I even tested positive for a military explosive known as Cemtex (sp?), which the officers told me could not have been contracted through chemicals in a darkroom (that was my only guess). Nevertheless, after a few minutes of conversation the friendly officers at Portland International Airport let me get on the plane, equipment examined but unscathed.

My lessons were (1) remember my ID and (2) think about buying a lighter tripod! ;-)