PDA

View Full Version : so I bought this lens....

someonenameddavid
20-Jul-2015, 19:54
And it's a whopper: made by Sony at 225mm and f2.3. On the old speed graphic it easily covers 4x5, and it is too fast really. I was wondering about a couple of things: drilling a slot to fit Waterhouse stops or could I fit a diaphragm in front of the lens (100mg diameter! !!) I would like to find out what it can cover, I'm assuming it was for a large projection TV. I also need to find an inexpensive speed graphic that is relatively ratty but the shutter works... last time I tried that I got a really nice one for US $80 that I couldn't abide to tear up. ...

It's an innocent hobby, cheaper than a mistress and less harmful than alcoholism.

David

AtlantaTerry
20-Jul-2015, 22:58
And it's a whopper: made by Sony at 225mm and f2.3. On the old speed graphic it easily covers 4x5, and it is too fast really.

I was wondering about a couple of things: drilling a slot to fit Waterhouse stops or could I fit a diaphragm in front of the lens (100mg diameter! !!)
<snip>
David

May I ask where you found the lens and do they have another?

As for apertures, is there a filter thread on the front? If so, try some screw-on Step Down Rings to reduce the amount of light coming in. If that works, then get a couple more Step Down Rings in smaller sizes that work with the largest one.

Do some tests to figure out what the working aperture might be and you are set to go. One trick to try is to use a light meter on the ground glass, then add one of the smaller rings and measure again. There is your light loss. It's not highly scientific but you don't run the risk of damaging the lens, either.

BTW, filter companies such as Lee and Cokin make really large adapter rings so if you have filter threads, those companies might have something you can use.

someonenameddavid
21-Jul-2015, 19:08
May I ask where you found the lens and do they have another?

As for apertures, is there a filter thread on the front? If so, try some screw-on Step Down Rings to reduce the amount of light coming in. If that works, then get a couple more Step Down Rings in smaller sizes that work with the largest one.

Do some tests to figure out what the working aperture might be and you are set to go. One trick to try is to use a light meter on the ground glass, then add one of the smaller rings and measure again. There is your light loss. It's not highly scientific but you don't run the risk of damaging the lens, either.

BTW, filter companies such as Lee and Cokin make really large adapter rings so if you have filter threads, those companies might have something you can use.

I bought it off shopgoodwill.com......... unique items

the diameter of the lens is about 100mm.

depth of field is slim.

So I'm going to give it a whirl....

dsphotog
21-Jul-2015, 20:19
Sounds like fun!
Keep us posted on your results please.