PDA

View Full Version : Has Satin Snow gone away?

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jul-2015, 16:42
Has Satin Snow gone away?

I ask because i was sympathetic to his effort,
and I found two of his GGs in storage, never used.
I feel guilty!
Has he quit?

vinny
20-Jul-2015, 16:44
yes, a few years ago now.

Oren Grad
20-Jul-2015, 16:45
Yes, seven or eight years ago now.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jul-2015, 16:48
Yes, seven or eight years ago now.

Thank you and Vinny for that. The fact marks a mile-stone of my inattention.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jul-2015, 16:58
My wife just gave me the package. Is from David S. Parker, a person we should admire for his effort. I cannot remember what his GG cost, but they were remarkable

Again, I hope he is well and happy.

BrianShaw
20-Jul-2015, 17:08
He was quite a character and made some decent GG. Did the package still reek of tobacco smoke? His family tragedies still resonate in my mind. Have no idea what became of him but ave a vague collection that he passed. I might be wrong on that so dont repeat it.

Oren Grad
20-Jul-2015, 17:15
He made a fine 6.5 x 8.5-inch glass for me. My recollection is that he had to stop because of a mix of family and personal health issues - the story is probably somewhere in the APUG archive.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jul-2015, 17:17
He was quite a character and made some decent GG. Did the package still reek of tobacco smoke?

No. No tobacco smoke. Each GG was carefully wrapped in tissue-paper. I have one unwrapped to memorialize him.

BrianShaw
20-Jul-2015, 17:24
I use one on a camera to memorialize Dave. If he doesn't need memorialization then consider it continued admiration.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jul-2015, 17:40
I use one on a camera to memorialize Dave. If he doesn't need memorialization then consider it continued admiration.

Wonderful. Thank you,

I found his glass so very fine that my eyesight is not good enough to use it. That issue is for a separate thread, but it speaks to David Parker's perfection.

Kevin Crisp
20-Jul-2015, 17:43
I am probably their last customer, I prepaid on 4 glasses when they announced they were wrapping it up. They were not eager for the final order but took it. Then I waited and waited and finally bugged them (which I said I would not do...) and they had forgotten about it, but did ship them, two of which fit. Oh well. It was a very good product. My understanding was that he gave it up due to back pain, I have never heard of anything more serious than that. I'd forgotten all about the tobacco odor.

I didn't understand why they wouldn't sell the company and whatever their process was, but they didn't.

David Karp
20-Jul-2015, 17:55
He did a nice job on a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch GG for me also. After he folded up his business I have bought some GGs from Steve Hopf, who also does a very nice job.

John Bartley
20-Jul-2015, 18:22
The last post that I read, which seems to have disappeared and maybe rightfully so, if I recall correctly, said something about his BIL murdering his sister?? There were other problems also, and as others have said I seem to recall that they had to do with health, but the death was the final straw. Dave made me a glass for my Ansco 8x10, and it worked very nicely. Having said that, it did not come with the corners clipped so I did that myself, and while I was waiting for Dave's glass to arrive, I took a chunk of glass out to the shop and sprayed it with some 80 grit blasting media. That also worked a treat, and I would have stayed with it if Dave's hadn't arrived.

Oren Grad
20-Jul-2015, 22:18
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?35453-I-am-done-with-the-LF-business

RichSBV
20-Jul-2015, 22:41
Dave was far more than a GG manufacturer. He was a nice guy who was honest, sincere, friendly and knowledgeable. I wish he was still around... (on the forums. I am hoping he's "still around"!)

cdholden
21-Jul-2015, 10:54
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?35453-I-am-done-with-the-LF-business

Why are some usernames in italics. I've noticed but have not been able to find an answer (maybe i'm searching for the wrong combo of words) via the search tool.

Oren Grad
21-Jul-2015, 11:18
Why are some usernames in italics. I've noticed but have not been able to find an answer (maybe i'm searching for the wrong combo of words) via the search tool.

I'm not sure. I see that Dave Parker is no longer in the Member List, so perhaps it's a marker for that. Perhaps Tom will know.

BrianShaw
21-Jul-2015, 11:30
Interesting theory, Oren... but wouldn't Frank P and Jorge G be italicized also? I think it is safe to assume that they are both no longer in the Member List. Or am I mistaken? But no matter... it was interesting to see their names again. Interesting memories. :)

Jonathan Barlow
21-Jul-2015, 12:50
What happened to Frank Petronio? He was such an active member.

BrianShaw
21-Jul-2015, 13:11
I think he wore out his welcome. I can't recall if he left or was asked to leave. But it probably doesn't matter - old news. I'm surprised you missed that event. What a character he was!

Drew Wiley
21-Jul-2015, 13:30
Frank has his own site with some nice stuff on it. Miss his opinionation. It's was always entertaining.

Drew Wiley
21-Jul-2015, 13:32
Anyway... I've got Satin Snow on both my folders, 8x10 and 4x5. Best GG I ever had.

Tin Can
21-Jul-2015, 13:49
Frank has his own site with some nice stuff on it. Miss his opinionation. It's was always entertaining.

Just found his site.

Never knew him, site looks good so far.

IanG
21-Jul-2015, 14:11
I was lucky to learn how to make good GG screens from David Parker in a round about way :D, he was idiosyncratic but a really nice guy. The family tragedies fell on his shoulders and I guess he took the brunt of it, and is hopefully coping well.

There wasn't a business to sell (he had no contracts), the market for GG screens is very small, I've been making and selling GG screens for few years now with a lot of repeat orders. My screens are hand made like Satin Glass and quite similar. Hopf has a contract with Deardorff but the company is bankrupt can't afford to make a camera :D

Ian

Dan Fromm
21-Jul-2015, 15:16
Ian, which Deardorff company and when? I ask because a quick search found a reference to the original (I think) Deardorff filing in 1989 and nothing for the Cochran enterprise.

Jim Galli
21-Jul-2015, 16:20
I actually quizzed Dave about purchasing the business and he figured it was worth about 10X what anyone could pay. It was a cottage industry ~ labor of love type thing. The name recognition would have some value I suppose but unfortunately he was in dreamland about it. I wish him well.

Ari
22-Jul-2015, 03:45
I am probably their last customer, I prepaid on 4 glasses when they announced they were wrapping it up. They were not eager for the final order but took it. Then I waited and waited and finally bugged them (which I said I would not do...) and they had forgotten about it, but did ship them, two of which fit.

I may have been right after you. I ordered a screen from Dave, paid for it, and waited a couple of months.
When no reply, or screen, from Dave was forthcoming, I posted here, asking if anyone had contact information.
Dave promptly replied to the thread and refunded my money, but I would rather have had the screen.

Oren Grad
22-Jul-2015, 06:48
Frank is an experienced and knowledgeable photographer who contributed much to the Forum but was not able to refrain from straying into politics.

We've resolved the OP's question; this thread has done its work.