PDA

View Full Version : buyers quesion: Fujinon CM W 250mm or Nikkor W 240mm

cikaziva
15-Jul-2015, 19:00
Am looking for something "small" and portable for my Kodak MasterView metal 8x10. just for that fuji wins its in smaller shutter, lens is smaller, and its cheaper. I never owned any Fujunons of this sort and my limited fuji experience is from GX680 that i loved and as well i had T400 long time ago... on the other hand i am old friend with Nikkors, but i never had 240mm. My hart is lelling me buy Nikon and suck it up fr number 3 shutter and bit of bulk. on the other hand Fuji looks like a winner combo for this camera that has minimal movements anyhow. what do you guys think?

thanks

Luka

OKAROB
15-Jul-2015, 20:27
If you are looking for a light weight lens a Fujinon W 250mm f6.7 (not the f6.3) or a Schneider G Claron 305mm will cover 8x10 and are available in copal 1 shutters. They are both single coated lenses (I think). There is also the Fujinon W 210mm with the lettering on the front of the lens (not on the side of the barrel) will also cover 8x10. That is also single coated. If you are patient you can usually get the Fujinon lens for a reasonable price.

OKAROB
15-Jul-2015, 22:49
I forgot to mention the Fujinon A 240mm is a light weight lens in a copal 0 shutter. I have a Nikon W 240mm lens, it is a good lens but weighs almost double the weight of the other lenses I mentioned and is triple the weight of the Fujinon A lens. You can sometimes find the 240mm Nikon for a good price, again if you have patience.

There is a list on this forum of modern 8x10 lens: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF8x10in.html that was compiled by Michael K. Davis. The list is of the newer lenses and does not include some of the older Fujinon lenses.

cikaziva
16-Jul-2015, 05:25
Thanks for the link! its really useful to see all numbers at one place. I just confirmed what i was afraid of Fuji will barley cover it and there will be minimal movement available even for a camera that has not that much movements. G-Claron is a good option i totally forgot about that, i had one and i like it, only problem its a slow. thanks for your input

ic-racer
16-Jul-2015, 05:33
Look for this lens, they used to be pretty inexpensive.

Drew Wiley
16-Jul-2015, 10:41
In this focal length I have a lot of experience with the Fuji 250/6.7 W and 240/9 A, as well as the 250/9 G-Claron. All three are superb lenses in lightwt shutters,
and all have similar real-world image circles allowing moderate movements on 8x10 at typical working apertures (stopped-down). Of the three, the most compact
one, the 240A is, in my opinion, the pick of the litter optically, the best corrected all the way from macro to infinity.