PDA

View Full Version : Expired Velvia & Provia

sperdynamite
15-Jul-2015, 07:52
I have a number of boxes of Fuji quickload Provia 100F that were expired in 2006. I can't say they were definitely perfectly kept for their lifespan because I'm not the original owner but I suspect someone at least kept them cool because they came to me wrapped in plastic wrap. I also have some Velvia 50 from 2001.

Any tips for film this old? I guess I could sacrifice a few sheets of the provia to find my ISO. For negative film I usually give it 1 stop per decade. You can over expose the hell out of old Portra and Fuji films and they'll be find but chrome not so much...

vinny
15-Jul-2015, 08:03
I shoot stuff far older than this all the time. Box speed.

sperdynamite
15-Jul-2015, 08:58
You shoot 10+ year old E6 film at box speed and have no issues at all????

Jim Becia
15-Jul-2015, 12:18
I shoot stuff far older than this all the time. Box speed.

Like Vinny, I have used 1999 Velvia 50, 2001 Astia, 2002 Provia and probably others I cannot recall without any problems with their rated speed. If stored properly, they should be fine. I think the problems tend to be color shifts on improperly stored transparency film.

vinny
15-Jul-2015, 12:18
You shoot 10+ year old E6 film at box speed and have no issues at all????
That's correct. Both kodak and fuji (provia and velvia). All frozen films and never stray from box speed except 40 asa for velvia which is my standart asa for that film.

Now, if the film has sat at room temp for a year, you may have loss of dmax and some strong magenta hues.

domaz
15-Jul-2015, 13:15
All the slide film I used in that vintage has had color shift. I don't think the film I used was frozen in a deep freeze (with no defrost cycle) the whole time though. If you get expired film second-hand don't expect amazing results.

Roboflick
31-Jul-2015, 07:41
i use provia 8x10 from 1997 with no color issues at all. it was kept at room temperature for nearly a year and now sits in a freezer. No color issues at al. Fuji slide film is surprisingly stable