PDA

View Full Version : Mariposa Grove closed until 2017

John Kasaian
14-Jul-2015, 18:40
I just came across this---
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

dsphotog
14-Jul-2015, 19:12
Access to another place gets more difficult, for old folks with large cameras.

John Kasaian
14-Jul-2015, 19:34
Since the park service installed those vault toilets which were designed to function in the desert, not the forest, they've done a pretty good job of profoundly stinking up the parking lot so the place could certainly use some renovation.
The best time to visit, IMHO is the winter. You usually have to walk or ski in, but it isn't far from the South gate.

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2015, 08:38
John - I've never even set foot in there, John, unless it was as a child and I've forgotten about it. Might sound strange coming from someone who lived so close. Buzzing up to Courtwright I'd sometimes briefly stop at McKinley Grove early in the morning, when it was still cool and all you Fresno types aren't up the hill yet.
Gotten a number of nice shots there. Been in Sequoia many times, but my idea of tree photography there is wearing a set of snowshoes in December.

Sirius Glass
15-Jul-2015, 15:04
When we were in Yosemite last November we were told of the coming closure.

Robert Langham
14-Aug-2015, 08:16
If you can't get into the grove just hole up for an extended brunch at the Sugar Pine in Mariposa.

John Kasaian
15-Aug-2015, 17:15
If you can't get into the grove just hole up for an extended brunch at the Sugar Pine in Mariposa.
Or the Narrow Gauge Inn in Fish Camp, or the bar at the Tenaya Lodge where a signature Bloody Mary is...what $15 bucks?