PDA

View Full Version : Flash Sync with a Graphlex D - Super D - RB Auto

Frank Petronio
3-Feb-2005, 16:42
Maybe the last of my series of questions: flash sync with a Graphlex D - Super D - RB Auto - on the graflex.org site it shows a diagram of the shutter and all, but no indication of where you hook up the flash bulbs, much less a modern PC flash connection. Is this another $500 modification for SK Grimes?

Bill_1856
3-Feb-2005, 17:28
I believe that the Super D is the only one with built-in flash synchro. There were special long buring flash bulbs (as I recall, a #2). There's a two prong outlet on the right side of the camera body. The correct shutter setting is OH. For strobes you'll have to use "drop flash" technique.

J. P. Mose
3-Feb-2005, 18:07
The camera has a double post conection on the right side of the body (near the shutter controls). Flash is tripped when the shutter is released AND THE MIRROR HITS TOP. On the 4x5, correct exposure with focal plane (FP) bulbs is only guaranteed at 1/1000. The bulbs are rare and expensive (only for collectors).

You can also use electronic flash by setting the curtain to "open" and tension on "high". When the shutter is released, the mirror flips up, trips the flash and the curtain drops instantly. The result is 1/5 second sync. It should be noted that is possible because the mirror seals out light when it is in the downward (viewing) position. This X sync. applies to both 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 and 4 x 5 Super D Graflex cameras.

Frank Petronio
3-Feb-2005, 20:07
Flash doesn't sound like much fun...

Paul_5137
3-Feb-2005, 21:23
C'mon Frank, go for it!!

Frank Petronio
3-Feb-2005, 21:45
I moan when I have to use a bi-post sync plug on an old shutter... but 1/5th sec drag isn't too bad (but at f/5.6 the modeling lights might cause a slight fringe...)

Mark Sampson
4-Feb-2005, 05:48
Just get a Mamiya RB67 and be done with it. It's a Graflex made modern.

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2005, 14:24
Actually, I've learned enough that I might just pass. The TLR Gowlandflex actually is starting to sound like a more "practical" camera for studio portraiture (using flash), since I don't have the cojones to shoot people in 4x5 at f/2.5 or f/4 anyway...

Although I guess I could pull f/4 on Tri-X using just modeling lights... darn it.