PDA

View Full Version : 14" LD Artar in copal #3 shutter

dbendo
8-Jul-2015, 18:40
Does anyone know if a 14"f9 LD Artar is a direct fit in copal #3 shutter ?

Mark Sampson
10-Jul-2015, 19:10
Ask Adam at S.K. Grimes.

dbendo
11-Jul-2015, 17:18
I sent an email to them last week no reply yet. I will try calling next week and ask for Adam. thanks

David Lindquist
11-Jul-2015, 18:48
Copal #3 dimensions are available here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters/standardcopals

Can you lay your hands on metric calipers? You could measure the outside diameter of the threads on the front and back cells and the front to back distance of the barrel and compare. Maybe you'll find the thread O.D. is enough different from the 58 mm on the Copal No. 3 and the front to back distance is enough different from the 32 mm thickness of the Copal 3 that we won't have to proceed to getting a set of metric pitch gages (not expensive anyway):)

Adam will be able to give you a definitive answer. Personally I highly recommend S.K. Grimes.

David

carverlux
15-Jul-2015, 21:10
Does anyone know if a 14"f9 LD Artar is a direct fit in copal #3 shutter ?

The short answer is no, since the LD Artar was not intended for use with a Copal shutter.

The long answer and my advice is to put a large shutter behind an unmodified LD Artar, and to never "mount it".

In fact, I would avoid opening the lens if at all possible. LD Artar's are specially made to very tight tolerances and were sold as very high resolution version of the already-excellent RD Artar. They are spec'ed to deliver up to 90 lp/mm of resolution, which is almost 4x what most regular large format lenses routinely do. One of mine was originally owned by NASA. To replicate such precision is possible but no small task, even in the hands of an expert like Adam or Joel at SKG, it is no small task.

I use mine in their original barrels coupled to a Sinar Shutter behind the lens.

carver