PDA

View Full Version : What's your Favorite LF Accessory?

Kirks518
7-Jul-2015, 14:34
What is an accessory you have that you just downright love? Can be cross-format, but you (almost) always take it with you on a large format shoot. Not looking for the 'obviously necessary items' like tripods, film, and meters, but the less common things.

Peter De Smidt
7-Jul-2015, 14:37
Tewe 4x5 viewfinder, a poor person's version of a Linhof finder.

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2015, 14:38
A sense of humor.

BrianShaw
7-Jul-2015, 14:43
Spare time and plenty of patience

Sirius Glass
7-Jul-2015, 15:53
A sense of humor.

Spare time and plenty of patience

Both of the above with plenty of film.

Wayne
7-Jul-2015, 16:04
What's yours?

What is an accessory you have that you just downright love? Can be cross-format, but you (almost) always take it with you on a large format shoot. Not looking for the 'obviously necessary items' like tripods, film, and meters, but the less common things.

Wayne
7-Jul-2015, 16:06
I really like film holders, plastic or wood, and I also really like cloth covered cable releases.

Paul Metcalf
7-Jul-2015, 16:18
This cuz sometimes I don't want to think. I call it my wheel of fortune LOL
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/articles/ZoneDial.pdf

Michael E
7-Jul-2015, 16:22
Not looking for the 'obviously necessary items' like tripods, film, and meters, but the less common things.

Sorry, but my favorite has to be my old Berlebach Report tripod that I have carried so many miles in so many amazing places. It reacts to the climate/weather by loosening or tightening up. I've put everything from a DSLR to an 8x10" on it. Just love that thing.

Kirks518
7-Jul-2015, 16:23
What's yours?

Don't have a favorite accessory yet. I'm about 2-3 weeks into LF, and my entire arsenal includes a tripod, spotmeter, camera, loupe, and film holders. I don't even have a dark cloth yet, I use a towel.

I figured this would be a good place to get ideas. I read in another thread (maybe a different forum), someone was using the Igloo Playmate coolers as carryalls for film holders and other stuff. That seemed like an awesome idea, but also wanted to hear other folks' favorite item they bring along.

cdholden
7-Jul-2015, 16:30
My daughter.
She enjoys hiking and landscape photography almost as much as I do. I wish she would carry more, but it's fun teaching her things and leaving some for her to figure out on her own. She's been a better director than photographer, but as she gains her independence she'll get her own 5x7 (and carry it) when she asks for it. Pretty good for only 12, IMHO.

Peter Lewin
7-Jul-2015, 16:38
Photobackpacker cascade film holder. Before I bought one, I thought it was "just another" accessory, but owning and using one, it has made the mechanics of handling film holders in the field much, much easier. (Of course my best accessory is my wife, who both encourages me, and occasionally helps carry stuff, but I thought I would try to actually answer the OP's question...)

Bruce Barlow
7-Jul-2015, 16:44
My cheap canvas carpenter' apron. 5 4x5 holders fit in each side, my meter case is on the right side, my small digi-cam bag for pens, lens brush, small Leatherman, spare cable release, small notebook, etc. is on the left. Everything I need.

About $1, and far, far better than the Zone VI Apron that I helped design, and which now sell for mountains of money.

Someday I'll splurge on one of the expensive ones servers in restaurants use. 3 pockets, big enough for 5x7 holders. Yum.

Ben Calwell
7-Jul-2015, 17:03
My beloved Calumet loupe that came as an accessory with my first view camera.

sun of sand
7-Jul-2015, 17:14
4x5 first surface mirror

Vaughn
7-Jul-2015, 17:24
My eyes...whoops, the camera is the accessory!

I love my climbing tool -- also known as a Ries tripod. But my uncommon accessory that IO love is a 14" square of closed-cell foam. It serves as a pad in my pack, but great to sit on when the ground is wet, frozen or pointy (or to set other equipment on)!

Keith Pitman
7-Jul-2015, 17:30
My feet.

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2015, 18:45
Zip lock baggies to protect my film holders from dust as well as keep my filters and lens cleaning kit organized.
A hat to protect my growing forehead.

Jim Jones
7-Jul-2015, 19:24
Tiltall tripod.

Alan Gales
7-Jul-2015, 20:34
My back saver!

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-55452RTB-Tradesman-Organizer/dp/B00BZXA35I

jcoldslabs
7-Jul-2015, 20:43
Iris clamp / universal lens mount. Not having to make/buy lens boards for all those vintage flange-less barrel lenses is a blessing.

Jonathan

Wayne
7-Jul-2015, 21:44
OK, I have to change to iris clamp too. Don't know what I'd do without that.

biedron
7-Jul-2015, 21:48
Not sure they are my "favorites" but perhaps my two most essential accessories are a pair of reading glasses and a headlamp - both so I can read the millimeter scale on my camera in dim light with old eyes when doing focus spread calculations. Helps with seeing the aperture and shutter speed scales too.

Bob

Deval
8-Jul-2015, 04:00
Bubble level, reciprocity timer ap(iDevice) Lee filter kit, changing tent for long trips

DrTang
8-Jul-2015, 06:49
my 1930 black Derby hat

I use it as my shutter instudio

I don't really go out too much, but I did last weekend and then it was my heavy duty eddie baer canvas tote

BrianShaw
8-Jul-2015, 07:29
If you like the Derby you should try a Homburg some day.

John Kasaian
8-Jul-2015, 10:08
If you like the Derby you should try a Homburg some day.

Better yet, a bacon cheeseburger!;)

Photobackpacker
8-Jul-2015, 13:50
My climbing harness and climbing rope. They allow me to go places while shooting alone that I would never attempt without them - especially when there is snow or ice on the ground.

Bill_1856
8-Jul-2015, 14:23
My favorite LF accessory is the factory 5x7 extension back for my 4x5 Nagaoka.
The only problem is that for lenses longer than 8" there is shadowing on the long side, reducing it to a 5x6.5" image on the GG. OTOH, I think that Paul Strand intentionally had his 5x7 Graflex permanently reduced to that dimension -- not a bad precedent.

djdister
8-Jul-2015, 16:01
I would have to say a 6x17 roll film back for my 5x7. It opens up a whole new range of options compositionally and my choice of film for the 5x7.

David Lobato
8-Jul-2015, 17:16
A tank of gas and a free day from work. Why? I've noticed that the really good photographers are good because they shoot a lot, a whole lot. I used to shoot at least a 50 sheet box of film per month and I was consistently getting better results over time. I'm not even close to that now.

Ian Gordon Bilson
8-Jul-2015, 21:11
A small mirror to adjust lens settings in awkward locations.

David Karp
8-Jul-2015, 22:45
My Photobackpacker backpack.

LabRat
9-Jul-2015, 00:26
Laser pointers + small flashlights to beam a focusing spot or the flashlights to put in scenes (aiming at the camera) to aid focusing in low/no light situations... Some printed material to be put in a tabletop set as a focusing target... And some old 2X2 slide mounts to be used with bellows extension scales...

And a powerful super bright LED flashlight mounted on a tripod/light stand adapter that works like a 1K spotlight (if you expose long enough) for night time exposures in dark places...

Steve K

Drachenlaeufer
9-Jul-2015, 03:45
A notebook which always is in my bag with the film holders. I write down information about the photo I have taken, number of filmholder, which type of film I used, etc. pp.

Bruce Barlow
9-Jul-2015, 03:51
A tank of gas and a free day from work. Why? I've noticed that the really good photographers are good because they shoot a lot, a whole lot. I used to shoot at least a 50 sheet box of film per month and I was consistently getting better results over time. I'm not even close to that now.

A foolish notion. Everybody knows that the quality of their photography is directly proportional to the amount of time they spend on the Internet, including time spent here.

Michael Graves
9-Jul-2015, 05:11
I've got a key chain bubble level that comes in very handy, regardless of what camera I'm using.

Kirks518
9-Jul-2015, 05:54
A foolish notion. Everybody knows that the quality of their photography is directly proportional to the amount of time they spend on the Internet, including time spent here.

Hmmm.... And it seems to me that the quality of the photographer is directly related to the amount of money spent on gear.... ;)

Jerry Bodine
9-Jul-2015, 09:20
My 4Runner. Without that, being old and retired, there's no way to get all this "stuff" out to where the landscapes are. It's a real grunt to get the vehicle loaded anymore. Perhaps I'm headed toward tabletops at home soon; either that or lighten up considerably, which should generally help anyway. Also, the 4Runner gives me a place to sleep when it's time for my nap ;) .

DrTang
9-Jul-2015, 09:50
Hmmm.... And it seems to me that the quality of the photographer is directly related to the amount of money spent on gear.... ;)

SWEET!

I'm doing it right then

Michael Graves
9-Jul-2015, 12:39

If that was true, then I'd be a WHOLE lot better than I am.

Ron McElroy
10-Jul-2015, 15:10
Well one of those worthless Zone VI aprons that Bruce designed, a calculator, a ruler and a weimaraner.

Bruce Barlow
11-Jul-2015, 03:28
Well one of those worthless Zone VI aprons that Bruce designed, a calculator, a ruler and a weimaraner.

Splurge a buck on a cheap one. As Fred would say, "Try it!"

John Layton
11-Jul-2015, 08:52
A small flask of Laphroaig. Its a vision thing...honest! :)

bob carnie
11-Jul-2015, 09:19
I was bought a Light Tent for small product , very simple , and easy to pop up. it even has a small plastic curved bckround. I love this little unit with the big Century Camera as I can pop the lens right up to the front opening and its
got a wonderful full lighting feel for small objects.
I use hot lights with this unit so I can see the lighting in real time.. set the lens at 32 and hold open the lens cap for 5-10 steamboats, what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

ImSoNegative
11-Jul-2015, 09:29
my phone, has my calculator for long exposures and a stop watch

Jmarmck
11-Jul-2015, 10:12
film

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2015, 10:50
I was bought a Light Tent for small product , very simple , and easy to pop up. it even has a small plastic curved bckround. I love this little unit with the big Century Camera as I can pop the lens right up to the front opening and its
got a wonderful full lighting feel for small objects.
I use hot lights with this unit so I can see the lighting in real time.. set the lens at 32 and hold open the lens cap for 5-10 steamboats, what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

I've got a couple of those. I call them my Ebay tents! ;)

bob carnie
11-Jul-2015, 10:59
I think they are great.. light is a bit soft , when I am trying to create a more grittier image.

I've got a couple of those. I call them my Ebay tents! ;)

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2015, 14:27
I think they are great.. light is a bit soft , when I am trying to create a more grittier image.

On mine I can unzip the top and peel it away. I can shine a light or a strobe through the top or front too if I want harsher light with shadows. I wouldn't call it gritty though.

AuditorOne
11-Jul-2015, 15:10
Tripod?

Dark cloth?

Light meter?

Amongst others.

David Karp
11-Jul-2015, 15:46
I forgot another accessory that I really like. I made a laminated card with the appropriate F/stop to use based on the measured spread (i mm) between near and far focus. There is a column for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I use the 8x10 and maybe fudge a little bit for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. The data to make the chart came from the article on how to select your f/stop from the home page and a Linhof tables that are available online. It is really helpful in the field.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Jul-2015, 16:58
A mule.

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2015, 19:58
A mule.

You are really old school aren't you? Ever break any of your glass plates on the way back? ;)

Peter Spangenberg
12-Jul-2015, 07:30
Nylon "cop belt" to which I have attached a meter holster and pouches for optical viewfinder, notebook, cell phone and filters. A lot less packing and re packing the camera case as I work.

Drew Bedo
12-Jul-2015, 08:34
Lately, my favorite accessory is a set of heavy duty luggage wheels to dolly it all around in.

jb7
12-Jul-2015, 08:48
I'd quite like central air ...

neil poulsen
12-Jul-2015, 09:02
This one is easy for me. It's my recently acquired, beefy Feisol 3372 tripod. :) It weighs 3.7 lbs; adding a 3039 head brings the total to 7.3 lbs.

For me, getting a lighter weight tripod is absolutely liberating. I previously used a Manfrotto 475 with my 3039 head, which is an excellent combination. But, It was getting kind of heavy to carry around.

johnmsanderson
12-Jul-2015, 18:07
film

woodslucas
27-Jan-2016, 21:40
Oh I love accessories!! I am weak when it comes to shoes I love them.

Vaughn
27-Jan-2016, 23:30
A mule.

I am thinking of this mule: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

The name fits anyway. I need something to haul an 8x10 or 11x14 around with locally and this puppy is rated at a cargo of 200 lb and a 200 lb rider (okay, I'd be 150/250). I could (slowly) go camping and take the 11x14! But usually I will just ride a radius of ten miles or so..places too far to push or drag a cart, and too close to drive.

I could spend the rest of my life riding a bike up north on Hwy 101 -- and that may not be a very long time, considering some of the driving I see -- and no shoulder in some stretches! So I will stay a little closer to home for now.

But also good for shopping in town (8 miles away).

John Jarosz
28-Jan-2016, 06:46
Continuing on the mule theme.

I recently got one of these:
https://burley.com/product/bee/

But not new. They are really pricey. But extremely well made.

They are on Craig's list all the time and are usually quite cheap. I guess when the kids get too big for the trailer the parents want it gone. Hooked up to my bike and loaded with my 8x10, lenses and film holders I really don't feel it behind the bike. I haven't had the 8x20 in it yet but I doubt if the extra amount of weigh will make any difference. They also make an accessory that allows it to be used as a push cart.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jan-2016, 08:00
I am thinking of this mule: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

I know that bike. The local shop sold two of them and I rode one. Not bad at all. Just a tip - get double side stands or a particularly long one because you better believe one day you will overload it with groceries. :)

Drew Bedo
28-Jan-2016, 08:43
A second job that pays cash.

And maybe one of these:
http://www.feisol.com/0823photocart.html

Bruce Watson
28-Jan-2016, 09:02
Zip lock baggies to protect my film holders from dust as well as keep my filters and lens cleaning kit organized.

Me too.

JBelthoff
28-Jan-2016, 10:27
I kind of like this: http://www.cookseytalbottgallery.com/shared/BellowsCompensationGuide.pdf

:)

alen
28-Jan-2016, 22:15
My back saver!

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-55452RTB-Tradesman-Organizer/dp/B00BZXA35I

Hmm, was thinking of something like this. My pelican cases are awkward and heavy, try and avoid long walks with them and squeeze what i need in a backpack!

neil poulsen
29-Jan-2016, 03:10
In addition to my tripod, I need to add one more accessory that I find equally useful . . .

After much testing using a Calumet shutter tester purchased years ago, I have a 4"x6" laminated card that cross-references aperture corrections (in stops) for every speed of each lens that I can carry in my LF pack. I refer to this card for just about every photo that I take.

Steve Goldstein
29-Jan-2016, 04:09
In addition to my tripod, I need to add one more accessory that I find equally useful . . .

After much testing using a Calumet shutter tester purchased years ago, I have a 4"x6" laminated card that cross-references aperture corrections (in stops) for every speed of each lens that I can carry in my LF pack. I refer to this card for just about every photo that I take.

Brilliant!

kshaub103
1-Feb-2016, 00:06
A Polaroid 405 Back and the Polaroid 545i on occasion :rolleyes:. So that means lots of Pack film and Expired 4x5 Polaroid film. Also my Gossen Luna Pro with spot meter attachment, a Analog book notebook and a +1 for the Photobackpacker Cascade Film Holder.

Photobackpacker
3-Feb-2016, 14:16
After I had to quit Scuba Diving, I transferred all of the retractable lanyard devices to my photo vest. Now my Pentax spotmeter and my loupe are finally "drop proof"!

dentkimterry
15-Feb-2016, 10:51
My Linhof viewfinder! It quickly lets me frame the subject and tells me which lens to use. I have labeled the other side for 5x7 and 8x10 so all my formats are covered.

mathomas
1-Jun-2016, 13:42
I recently got turned on to the "Artist's Viewfinder" app for iPhone (not sure about other platforms). It is a really useful compositional tool, IMO. It lets you set up a collection of lenses, and superimposes selected focal lengths onto the "live view" viewfinder of the phone. You can take a photo with the frames superimposed. Great for taking notes or preparing for a particular location.

Milonian
1-Jun-2016, 13:57
I take my Da Yi multiformat back when I go out with the Shen Hao 5x4 so then I've got every format 6 x 4.5 / 6x6 / 6x9 / 6x12cm / 5x4 inches - just wish it did 6x17 too! If it could teach me to take better photographs that would be a bonus..................

Paul Coy
1-Jun-2016, 18:55
Ok, I'll bite. My Autoknips timer! :) Functional, works with all my lenses, and cool for old skool selfies!! :)

DG 3313
1-Jun-2016, 19:14
The idea of having to quit diving is........not appealing! Good idea with the retractable lanyards though!

[QUOTE=Photobackpacker;1306799]After I had to quit Scuba Diving,

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2016, 19:33
The second day of over 100 degree weather here in the San Joaquin, so my favorite LF accessory is an Igloo cooler full of ice cold drinks!