PDA

View Full Version : A little help for the new newbie who wants to get started in 8x10

kanishka
7-Jul-2015, 14:05
Hi guys, I registered a few days ago and it was a pleasure to find so much information here in the forum and the reviews.
There are so many options that it is still difficult for me to understand what would be the best setting for what I'm looking for.
Mainly I want a 8x10 camera to take portraits in studio with strobes or controlled locations. And with that make contact prints.

Here are some questions
Should I go with a field camera or a monorail?? I don't care if it's not light or compact. What camera would be good to start in the 8x10 world?
Which lenses do you love and recommend for portraits? I'm looking for very sharp images. Should I avoid soft focus lenses?
I will be in USA in a few weeks, can you recommend me some LF stores?

Thanks!

Peter De Smidt
7-Jul-2015, 14:33
If I were you, I'd get an 8x10 monorail, such as a Toyo, Sinar, Horseman.... The reason is that there are a fair number of them for little money, they are very capable, they have extensive accessories. They're much less in demand than field cameras, because there are many more people who do landscape photography than studio portraiture with 8x10.

Regarding lens choice, that depends on the type of portraits. I do fairly close up portraits with 8x10, mainly with lenses in the 400-500mm range. If you want to do full-length portraits, something around 300 would be good. Soft focus lenses can be great, but they're hard to focus. I'd recommend getting a regular lens first, one in a modern shutter with flash sync, something like a 420mm Fujinon L.

Sirius Glass
7-Jul-2015, 15:49
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

Alan Gales
7-Jul-2015, 18:44
Yousuf Karsh used a Calumet C1. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/calumetc8x10.html

It's kind of a metal flatbed camera. They are plentiful, sturdy and very reasonable on the used market so you will have more money for some nice glass.

I really like my 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar lens. It's a normal focal length and a favorite of Karsh also.

Welcome to the forum!

brucetaylor
7-Jul-2015, 19:44
I like my C1 in the studio too. Mine came with a 14" Ilex, a copy I have heard of the Kodak Commercial Ektar. I love it for portraits and the C1's can be had for not much money, often with a lens.

kanishka
8-Jul-2015, 12:59
Thanks for the advice!
What would be a good price for a used Calumet C1?
I don't see much in ebay this days.

Alan Gales
8-Jul-2015, 14:23
I've seen them all different prices depending upon condition and if a lens is included. Also the lighter weight green magnesium models go for a little more than the black aluminum ones.

I would think you could find a nice one without lens for $700 to $800 on Ebay. I have seen them go for less. Of course Ebay is an auction so a lot matters on who is bidding when.

I paid $1500 for my Wehman field camera just a few years ago and decent Deardorffs were about the same. The Kodak Masters were running around $2000. I did consider the C1 as well as a Toyo G monorail, Cambo monorail, Burke and James, and Kodak 2D which could all be found under $1000 but I wanted a field camera.

kanishka
9-Jul-2015, 10:18
Thanks for all the info Alan!
Maybe I should wait a few days so I can see here in the forum the sale section.

Winger
9-Jul-2015, 14:26
Thanks for all the info Alan!
Maybe I should wait a few days so I can see here in the forum the sale section.

And that gives you almost enough time to read everything on the main pages to see what you might want. Welcome to large format!

John Kasaian
9-Jul-2015, 14:44
The C-1 would be an excellent camera for your interests. Get a really heavy duty tripod for it.
The 14" Commercial Ektar is a classic (think Yousef Karsh) but Schneider Symmars might have more appeal for you as they come in more modern shutters. The 12" Dagor is also an excellent lens for portraiture as is a 10" WF Ektar and 12" Wollensak Velostigmat which is soft wide open but crisp when stopped down. Look at some examples and find out what kind of lens different photographers used----that will give you a good idea of the "look" a given lens will bring to the party but you can't go wrong with a 14" Commercial Ektar on an 8x10, IMHO.

Alan Gales
9-Jul-2015, 16:12
Like John recommends you need a heavy duty tripod. Buy a used one and save a lot of money. Since weight is not an issue you might look for an old Majestic tripod. These things are beasts and go for reasonable prices because most want lightweight carbon fiber tripods today.

Jac@stafford.net
9-Jul-2015, 19:02
The Calumet C1 is my very favorite 8x10, and for comparison I also have Deardorff V8 and Century 1 8x10. The C1 is super sturdy, locks down very well, is reliable, focuses well. It is a PITA for field use, but still worth the trouble.

angusparker
9-Jul-2015, 21:39
Spend the money you save on the camera on film holders like the Toyo ones. You can probably still find new old stock. Very smooth and easy to use with the tightest build tolerances of all holders.

kanishka
11-Jul-2015, 14:17
Thanks guys, when I get my first 8x10 camera I will post some photos.

Kirk Fry
11-Jul-2015, 17:08
Check out Majestic Tripods and Heads. You can often get them used for very little money as the backpacking crowd does not like them much... (mine weighs 19 lb)

mstrickland
20-Jul-2015, 08:29
If you've got the budget for it, I'd go Arca Swiss monorail any day.

kanishka
11-Aug-2015, 17:03
What do you think about the Cambo Legend?

A.D.Avestan
11-Aug-2015, 18:23
Hi guys, I registered a few days ago and it was a pleasure to find so much information here in the forum and the reviews.
There are so many options that it is still difficult for me to understand what would be the best setting for what I'm looking for.
Mainly I want a 8x10 camera to take portraits in studio with strobes or controlled locations. And with that make contact prints.

Here are some questions
Should I go with a field camera or a monorail?? I don't care if it's not light or compact. What camera would be good to start in the 8x10 world?
Which lenses do you love and recommend for portraits? I'm looking for very sharp images. Should I avoid soft focus lenses?
I will be in USA in a few weeks, can you recommend me some LF stores?

Thanks!
Hi, I am in the same situation! 8x10>Portraiture>contact print. In my case its for reference gathering to paint oil portraits from. Like WOW to read your post and the advice given!! Best wishes and go for the best!

Mark Sawyer
11-Aug-2015, 18:23
Mainly I want a 8x10 camera to take portraits in studio...

Here's a radical thought: How about an 8x10 studio portrait camera!

I know, thinking way too far outside the box... :rolleyes:

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2015, 18:32

I occasionally sell photography gear and had a 4x5 Legend for a short time. The Legends are sturdy. I can't think of anything wrong with them. I did prefer my Sinar P which of course is a more expensive camera. It all depends upon price and condition. If you can get a good deal on one then you might go for it. There is a lot of Calumet/Cambo stuff out there on the used market.

kanishka
11-Aug-2015, 21:13
I occasionally sell photography gear and had a 4x5 Legend for a short time. The Legends are sturdy. I can't think of anything wrong with them. I did prefer my Sinar P which of course is a more expensive camera. It all depends upon price and condition. If you can get a good deal on one then you might go for it. There is a lot of Calumet/Cambo stuff out there on the used market.

Thanks Alan

gregmo
12-Aug-2015, 10:28

I purchased an 8x10 Cambo Legend nearly 2 years ago. I patiently waited for an 8x10 & found it listed on eBay for $400 in excellent shape. It was a local seller, so we took the deal offline & I picked it up.
Very solid camera..not the lightest thing.

I also have a 5x7 Cambo SC and the Legend has much sturdier front & rear standards then the SC model.