PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff or Neardorff? Please help me identify.

sperdynamite
6-Jul-2015, 17:48
Hi ya'll. I have what I think is an early model Deardorff V8. Back in college I had a more standard V8 that I used for a while so I am familiar with Deardorffs generally, but I sold that one after graduation. About a year ago I picked up a camera from the B&H Used dept for $300. They didn't know what it was, so it was listed as "O/B Deardorff Copy." Except for a couple spots, this thing is a dead ringer for a genuine V8, so I really think they had it wrong. Nothing about it feels cheap, but some parts do look modified. I was hoping you could help identify it with me.

1. No bottom plate. I had seen photos of early 'Dorffs without the plate though. It also has little rubber feet.

2. Only label AT ALL is a stenciled in "D.P.C. 0208 FAB." (Deardorff Precision Cameras?)

3. Weird wire linkage between the front swing screws. I want to remove this thing actually because I have no idea what it's for and it gets in the way a lot.

Outside of those, I myself replaced the bellows with the red one. the original black leather bellows that were on it had a ton of holes so this is an improvement (actually the synthetic material is fantastic IMO). :) As for the wood itself I don't have another Deardorff nearby to compare. It doesn't feel cheap, although I can't identify real mahogany just by touch or sight.

The front swing mechanism in generally is a little bent outta shape. It works fine but there could be rigidity improvements for sure. I was thinking of swapping the whole thing for one of those replacements currently sold on fleabay.

Anyway let me know if you think I have a Deardorff, or some very good copy. Thank you!

koh303
6-Jul-2015, 18:08
It is a deardorff.

The code you mentioned is most likely the inventory item of the owner which was a commercial studio/army/police/whoever...

Fitted with front swings, and with a rear standard turntable locking screw (with brace), i am sure this was done because the regular locking screws were not available and those were.

Excellent find!

sperdynamite
6-Jul-2015, 18:28
That's great! I suspected it had to be the real deal. Any thoughts on that wire that connects the front swing screws and is there any reason why I shouldn't snip the thing off?

koh303
6-Jul-2015, 18:43
as i said its most likely a rear screw set, which has the brace across. You can just remove it if it bothers you.

Two23
6-Jul-2015, 18:49
You wouldn't think a place like B&H would screw up very often.

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
6-Jul-2015, 20:41
The Rajah was an excellent copy of the 'dorff, but from the pictures, yours sure looks like the real deal to me. The 8x10 Rajah had about 33" of bellows draw. Maybe someone who has a Rajah would better know all the differences (btw, I spent the morning taking photographs with my V-8 'dorff---great fun!)

diversey
6-Jul-2015, 20:48
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29574758@N00/4594380590/in/photolist-7ZZphs-4u1scT-dmEHkg

Is this one similar to yours?

Luis-F-S
6-Jul-2015, 20:54
You can read up on some of the variations at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

koh303
7-Jul-2015, 06:01
The Rajah was an excellent copy of the 'dorff, but from the pictures, yours sure looks like the real deal to me. The 8x10 Rajah had about 33" of bellows draw. Maybe someone who has a Rajah would better know all the differences (btw, I spent the morning taking photographs with my V-8 'dorff---great fun!)

Rajah's have completely different back and base design.
Prinzdorffs which are the same in design, use different materials.

sperdynamite
8-Jul-2015, 07:15
I don't think it's an Indian copy. I did look into that though.

Any reason I should spring for a metal bed plate? What was their actual application?

koh303
8-Jul-2015, 07:21

Any reason I should spring for a metal bed plate? What was their actual application?

It helps prevent splitting of the base, which was very common due to the poor construction quality of the base on these cameras.
It does not always help though.
It also helps preventing the base bed from becoming scratched up from the tripod plate/base, which is otherwise tightened to the wood. The aluminum handles that with a little more grace.

Jim Noel
8-Jul-2015, 07:41
It is not an Indian copy. I have owned those in the past. Except for the wire,it is identical to my pre 1939 5x7.

sperdynamite
8-Jul-2015, 08:10
Ok that's helpful. I'm going to enjoy getting this thing into a solid user condition. I'm one for a camera that just looks used enough, so I'm not afraid to continue doing so. Now to find me a good Fuji 250/6.7....

c.d.ewen
8-Jul-2015, 10:12
Often enough. Found a 270mm Computar there once, marked as an enlarging lens. $200.

Charley

You wouldn't think a place like B&H would screw up very often.

Kent in SD

dsphotog
8-Jul-2015, 10:48

If it were mine, I'd keep it original.
Enjoy it as the builder intended.
Although if it never had a base plate, it originally had no front swing,
the front swing was added later.

Tracy Storer
8-Jul-2015, 11:19
Looks like a mid '30s Deardorff retrofitted with front swing later. (A. 1933 "earliest camera that can be fitted with FS" B. Cast Aluminum rear swing turntable-went out in '38 when they started using SS instead.) Can't tell from your photos whether the hardware is nickel plated brass, brass painted gold, or lacquered natural brass. If it's nickel, that would suggest a transitional camera from '37-'38. Around the time they changed from Cast Alu to SS for the turntable they also started plating the hardware, but used up old parts until gone.
I will second spending some time on Ken Houghs website, info that helps nail down dates is sprinkled all over the site, so read every page. Ken occasionally posts here as "TheDeardorffGuy".

Also, FS normally does not have the wire which you normally see on rear swing, later cameras have the (rear-swing lock knob) wire looped in the middle to keep it on the pivot screw. It DOES look like a rear screw set. The wire may be soldered to the screw heads, and may be there to help the screws from "racking" the normal piece you would see there is a threaded post with a wide flat head.

koh303
8-Jul-2015, 12:35
If it were mine, I'd keep it original.
Enjoy it as the builder intended.
Although if it never had a base plate, it originally had no front swing,
the front swing was added later.

Actually, the base plate came before the front swing, and in any case, so many cameras were built not according to some production scale or list, only some SN were listed, and MANY cameras were retrofitted very early on with front swings, or with base plates or with both.

Tracy Storer
8-Jul-2015, 12:44
Sorry, Front swing came in 1950, bedplates in 1952.

Actually, the base plate came before the front swing, and in any case, so many cameras were built not according to some production scale or list, only some SN were listed, and MANY cameras were retrofitted very early on with front swings, or with base plates or with both.

koh303
8-Jul-2015, 17:31
Sorry, Front swing came in 1950, bedplates in 1952.

yes, thats what i meant to say ;). Fat finger dislexia.