PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Film w/Food in a Freezer

neil poulsen
5-Jul-2015, 16:17
I'm about to purchase a freezer for storing film and darkroom paper.

In case we also want to use this freezer for some food storage, has anyone ever experienced a problem with storing darkroom paper and/or film with food products in the same freezing compartment?

Tin Can
5-Jul-2015, 16:20
Only when the freezer failed and stuff started melting and leaking...

I quickly got the film out, then tossed the food.

But some film is sealed, such as X-Ray.

Michael Cienfuegos
5-Jul-2015, 16:49
I'm about to purchase a freezer for storing film and darkroom paper.

In case we also want to use this freezer for some food storage, has anyone ever experienced a problem with storing darkroom paper and/or film with food products in the same freezing compartment?

Yes, the food takes up too much room. I'm glad i'm not married, wife would bitch about all the stuff in the freezer. I like fresh food. :(

m

DavidFisk
5-Jul-2015, 17:33
Yes, the food takes up too much room. I'm glad i'm not married, wife would bitch about all the stuff in the freezer. I like fresh food. :(

m

She: I can't fit the ground beef in the freezer. It's always completely filled with your film.

Me: I've told you a eleven million times, don't exaggerate. It's never more than 85%.

Luis-F-S
5-Jul-2015, 17:37
Yes, the food takes up too much room.

+1

Wayne
5-Jul-2015, 18:08
Don't store it with frozen fish unless you have a backup generator.

Sirius Glass
5-Jul-2015, 18:21
You can keep food, film and paper together in the refrigerator or freezer. You will find that film and paper do not cook well and provide neither a savory taste nor healthful benefits.

Bill Burk
5-Jul-2015, 18:44
You can keep food, film and paper together in the refrigerator or freezer. You will find that film and paper do not cook well and provide neither a savory taste nor healthful benefits.

Is that true if you put it in the soup?

ndrs
6-Jul-2015, 02:59
Don't worry about food. There will be no room left for it in the freezer.

Steve Goldstein
6-Jul-2015, 03:28
I started out with one shelf in our full-size freezer for film, now I'm up to about half (quickloads take a lot of room) but dare not push further. I've never had a problem - all my film is in heavy duty zip-lock bags of appropriate sizes. My film never smells funny, but then again it's been a long time since I stored Durian in that freezer.

Roger Thoms
6-Jul-2015, 07:23
My only thought if you must mix your film with food, I'd put the film on the upper shelves and the food on the lower shelves. That way if the freezer fails the food won't drip all over the film. i ziplock bag all the film and paper I have in the freezer. The nice thing too, is that if you need more room for film, a few meals should solve the problem.

Roger

DrTang
6-Jul-2015, 07:38
you can afford to eat AND shoot large format?

jp
6-Jul-2015, 07:48
Whoever does the food shopping can actually save $ by getting a freezer which will pay for a small amount of electricity and film. Buying food you use when it's on sale rather than at the moment of need, cooking larger batches and freezing extra, etc..

Bruce Barlow
6-Jul-2015, 08:46
My freezer is 4/5 filled with film, Azo, and Lodima. 1/5 is left over for food. All the food is in single-serving ziplock bags, and each type of food has its bags in a gallon ziplock. Double protection, not to mention extreme convenience.

I will not allow the power to go out for long enough to cause a problem.

Rayt
12-Jul-2015, 23:26
Whenever the wife is pissed at me for something she brings up the film in the freezer and I can only say sorry or something.

redrockcoulee
14-Jul-2015, 08:54
ALmost all the film in the freezer is in water tight plastic tubes and most of it is on the top shelf. The easy solution to having to share it with the spouse is to have her a photographer too. As an additonal bonus when I see a real neat pinhole or toy camera I get to buy it as a gift for her and she is happy.

Michael Cienfuegos
14-Jul-2015, 09:11
I was looking in the garage refrigerator yesterday. The freezer has 60% film, 40 % food. The refrigerator part is about 50 - 50. I try and save some space for my beer. Nothing worse than warm beer. :p

David Lobato
14-Jul-2015, 09:41
I only make one food exception for the film space in my freezer. That would be green chile from New Mexico. :D

Alan Curtis
14-Jul-2015, 10:27
I only make one food exception for the film space in my freezer. That would be green chile from New Mexico. :D

David
Thanks for reminding me, my supply from Hatch Chile express is running low. My freezer is some food, in the back, film and New Mexican green chile.

MIke Sherck
14-Jul-2015, 10:37
I bought plastic storage tubs with tops and put the film in there, then into the freezer. Not worried about power outages or leaking food containers: the film and paper are safe!

Mike

DavidFisk
17-Jul-2015, 11:47

Would that be Hatch?

Keith Pitman
17-Jul-2015, 13:48
We have an upright freezer. Film and paper goes on the top shelf.

sepiareverb
17-Jul-2015, 14:38
I store film in bags mixed with various foodstuffs. This way when I want some strawberries I also get to shoot some Efke25. Choosing what to thaw based on film need can be less fun: right now when I need some Neopan 1600 I now have to eat frozen kale.

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2015, 15:56
No problems here.
Of course the freezer can get pretty crowded after a trip to Freestyle and especially if they have short dated film on sale.
This can really crowd those fish sticks, Costco Swedish meatballs and Choco-tacos
The only negative situation I can ever recollect was when I discovered a small, long frozen turkey hiding behind the Ilford.
That fowl was destined to become the frozen turkey pinhole camera, and the rest as they say, is History.
Forgettable & regrettable History.

axs810
17-Jul-2015, 16:12
I have two refrigerators so the one in my garage stores soda/food/film. I keep the film in the veggie compartment...I don't freeze my film

David Lobato
17-Jul-2015, 16:25
Would that be Hatch?

Hatch, of course. An excellent combination with the green Fujichrome boxes.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Jul-2015, 19:20
I've got a separate small top-loading chest freezer that doesn't have a defrost cycle for film and paper, so I don't have to open the door every time I need ice cubes or food items, and so it keeps a more steady temperature. Since I don't open it often, it runs very efficiently and doesn't require defrosting very often. We live in an apartment, so I can keep it outdoors on the balcony, and we don't have to listen to the noise or have it radiating any heat indoors in our warm climate. I don't think it's anything unusual, but this is the model I have:

http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/FC40

The web page says "It utilizes an efficient manual defrost system" which means that it comes with a hard plastic spatula, if you need it to scrape off the ice occasionally.

I also do the cooking, and I like to have things like homemade stock in the freezer, or to make double batches of soups or stews that we can have for quick meals when time is short, so I need the space in the food freezer as well.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2015, 19:33
Costco by me has these. http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/864089-danby-white-chest-freezer.html

I really want one, but I need to make room.

I've had good luck with Danby.

Jim Andrada
17-Jul-2015, 20:43
Durian! Wonderful stuff if you can stand the smell. I think storing it in proximity to film would be a bad idea because the smell alone could pre-expose the film. Even when frozen.

axs810
18-Jul-2015, 00:52
Is there a benefit to keeping the film in the freezer vs the fridge?

John Kasaian
18-Jul-2015, 17:17
I doubt it if you're using using it, but If you're hording the stuff for the alpaca-lips, then perhaps
I just happen to have more room in my freezer.

Michael Cienfuegos
18-Jul-2015, 22:20
Durian! Wonderful stuff if you can stand the smell. I think storing it in proximity to film would be a bad idea because the smell alone could pre-expose the film. Even when frozen.

Durian? I think you could use that stuff to fumigate the house for termites or roaches. I don't even want to get near a balut, no way I want to ever be near that stuff again!

Jmarmck
19-Jul-2015, 05:26
Costco by me has these. http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/864089-danby-white-chest-freezer.html

I really want one, but I need to make room.

I've had good luck with Danby.

I grew up with 4 brothers and three sisters. We had two large freezers of this type in the basement filled with a side of beef and whatever my mother froze from the garden...............no film however. I do remember that it was a pain getting something from the freezer. Whatever I was looking for was always at the bottom. The frost tasted pretty bad too.

Bruce Barlow
19-Jul-2015, 05:42
My mother used to freeze Twinkies for a year, only in their original wrapper. Then she'd feed them to me as an afternoon snack. Freezer burn so bad that they were crunchy. She did the same to Hostess Cupcakes and SuziQs, with similar results.

Many have fond memories of their childhood. Some don't

Michael Cienfuegos
19-Jul-2015, 07:30
My mother used to freeze Twinkies for a year, only in their original wrapper. Then she'd feed them to me as an afternoon snack. Freezer burn so bad that they were crunchy. She did the same to Hostess Cupcakes and SuziQs, with similar results.

Many have fond memories of their childhood. Some don't

At least you got to try them. My mom had a cow if she caught us eating that "junk" I always liked Twinkies, but really didn't get to enjoy them until I was an adult, then I married a girl who didn't care for them. Go figure…

m