PDA

View Full Version : Medium Format Lenses vs. Large Format Lenses

SLVRGLTN
5-Jul-2015, 12:45
So here is my question I would like to get specific information regarding medium format lenses vs. large format lenses

I want to compare the following focal lengths to there large format counterparts

Sorry it's 6x7 but I'm going to be photographing with a large format

55mm medium format to large format in mm?

105mm medium format to large format in mm?

200mm medium format to large format in mm?

Any specific suggestions I'm looking to shoot 5x7 or 8x10 in large format for landscape photography

Is there anything modern or vintage that fit those focal lengths for large format

Thanks Brian

Dan Fromm
5-Jul-2015, 13:33
Medium format? 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12? Normal focal lengths 80 mm, 90 mm, 100 mm, 127 mm, respectively. 5x7, 8x10? Normal focal lengths 210 mm, 300 mm, respectively.

Its time to be more specific and answer the question yourself. 55 is to 80 as x is to 210. Find x. Repeat as needed.

PCC
5-Jul-2015, 18:03
The numbers themselves should not be confusing. They measure the focal length of the lens regardless what size film is behind it. The problem is that as the film size increases the apparent angle of view of the lens increases with it. For example, a 105mm lens used in large format photography can be adapted to be used on a 35mm camera. On a large format camera it is considered a wide angle lens. On a much smaller 35mm camera it is considered a telephoto. Why is that? The focal length of the lens didn't change but the angle of view did due to the 35mm format's much smaller size.

The more important thing for you to consider is the usable image circle projected from the back of the lens. Too small and you get vignetting or blurred corners or both. Too large should be a good thing as this allows you movements and swings that a smaller image circle won't.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jul-2015, 18:37
Which medium format to exactly which "LF". Do not expect an answer there. Go to the home page and learn.

djdister
5-Jul-2015, 19:05

Taija71A
5-Jul-2015, 19:23
"I'll Throw You a Bone".

Pythagorean Theorem. *Is needed to calculate 'Film Format Diagonals'.

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/pythagorean-theorem.html

StoneNYC
5-Jul-2015, 22:07
Never mind I can't read.

Taija71A
5-Jul-2015, 22:23
I'll Throw You an 'additional' small Bone.
But, as stated above... It is all 'Simple Math' (Grade 8 or less)...

In mathematics, the Pythagorean theorem, also known as Pythagoras' theorem, is a relation in Euclidean geometry among the three sides of a right triangle.

It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. I.e.: c (Squared) = a (Squared) + b (Squared).

Please Note: This Chart is for 'Horizontal' View only.

http://lensn2shutter.com/angleofviewchart.html

Adam Long
6-Jul-2015, 07:55
I shoot on LF with 4x5 and 67 (super rollex) as well as 645 and DX Nikon digicams. I always found attempts to compare angles of view across formats a bit limited - things are rarely exactly equivalent without cropping. So I spent a few hours on excel and produced a graph comparing horizontal and vertical fovs. It works for me, might be helpful for you. Hopefully it's fairly self-explanatory; the closer the points the more similar the view.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8290108/FoV_full.png

PS the original spreadsheet has a lot more data than will fit on a graph, if I had time I'd make a web version where you could toggle formats on and off.