PDA

View Full Version : Recommend travel flash for location shoot with Toyo 45A

durr3
4-Jul-2015, 13:16
What is a good travel set up for flash with my Toyo 45A? That won't break the bank!
thanks

J

mdarnton
4-Jul-2015, 14:20
Sort of thin on info there. What do you have to shoot and how do you want to light it? How big of a space, how complex the lighting, umbrellas, soft boxes? Or just any flash on a stand? What's your budget????

I bought one of these seven months ago to use on a boom in the studio as a hair light, but the first thing I did with it was as a bounce flash to shoot some musicians in their home, and it worked great. It's still popping in my studio, no problems. The case is made of awful hard plastic that seems like it would break right away, and the swivel is silly--the whole thing exudes undeniable cheapness, but it's the guts that count, it works, and it's quite compact and light. The price is right. If I were doing road work, I'd buy a bunch of them so I'd have extras if they failed.

If you look at the manufacturer's page on Amazon, you'll see some other things, including one similar to this with a standard Bowens mount for softboxes, etc. All dirt cheap.

durr3
5-Jul-2015, 07:15
Sort of thin on info there. What do you have to shoot and how do you want to light it? How big of a space, how complex the lighting, umbrellas, soft boxes? Or just any flash on a stand? What's your budget????

I bought one of these seven months ago to use on a boom in the studio as a hair light, but the first thing I did with it was as a bounce flash to shoot some musicians in their home, and it worked great. It's still popping in my studio, no problems. The case is made of awful hard plastic that seems like it would break right away, and the swivel is silly--the whole thing exudes undeniable cheapness, but it's the guts that count, it works, and it's quite compact and light. The price is right. If I were doing road work, I'd buy a bunch of them so I'd have extras if they failed.

If you look at the manufacturer's page on Amazon, you'll see some other things, including one similar to this with a standard Bowens mount for softboxes, etc. All dirt cheap.

Thanks for the info, but what is the make and model that you are referring to.

J D

mdarnton
5-Jul-2015, 07:19
Whoops. I thought I put a link in. It was a $45 180WS Neewer on Amazon.

durr3
5-Jul-2015, 08:44
Whoops. I thought I put a link in. It was a $45 180WS Neewer on Amazon.

Thanks...I will give it a look.

jp
5-Jul-2015, 18:18
I think the Nikon sb24 is nice.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jul-2015, 18:51
It was a $45 180WS Neewer on Amazon.

Isn't that a wimpy light?

mdarnton
5-Jul-2015, 18:56
Well, it depends on what you want to use it for. OP hasn't said much.

durr3
6-Jul-2015, 04:45
I will be shooting location portraits mostly.

Peter De Smidt
6-Jul-2015, 07:24
That's still not much info. Are you wanting to add a little fill light, or do you need to light the entire location? What type of light modifiers are you planing on using? Do you need to control all of the lights from the camera position? How fast of film will you be using, and what f-stop will you be shooting at? What will the subject be, a tight head shot or 10 people? Will you have access to electricity? At the one extreme, you could use a speedlight. At the other, you'd need a much more elaborate setup.