PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Question

kansasjhawk
3-Jul-2015, 11:44
I have a 90mm 4x5 lens that is mounted on a copal 0 press shutter. I'm thinking of just moving this to a non-press shutter. Is it as simple as buying the new shutter and then just screwing the lens on? Also, the shutter I have now is f/6.8....will a new shutter that is f/5.6 actually give me that or is it based on the lens?

Bob Salomon
3-Jul-2015, 12:10
The shutters are not F stop specific. The proper aperture scales are screwed onto the top and the front of the shutter. A new shutter comes with blank scales that you can have engaved and calibrated for the lens that you have. A used shutter will usually have some set of scales attached to it depending on what lens was on it.

Andrew
3-Jul-2015, 16:34
the Copal shutter dimensions should be standardised enough to let you swap over the lens cells without a problem
but aperture scales are quite specific so you'll need to make new scales for the replacement shutter [or at least work out a correction factor]
some repair techs would do that for you but you can do it yourself to within a fraction of an f-stop... it's been covered on the forum before

Dan Fromm
3-Jul-2015, 18:14
Going from a #0 press shutter to a #0 cock-and-shoot is safe. Going the other way may, depending on the lens, not work. This because the #0 press shutters' diaphragm (#1 press' too) is located closer to the rear of the rear tube than the #0 cock-and-shoot's (#1 cock-and-shoot's too). So rear cells that go deep into the shutter may hit a press shutter's diaphragm. You're safe.

Why do you want to reshutter your lens?