PDA

View Full Version : For Commercial and Industrial Use Only

tgtaylor
2-Jul-2015, 20:06
I just mixed a fresh 5 liters of my favorite film developer Kodak's Xtol and pondered over the meaning of the above statement prominently displayed on the packaging. Surely amateur and hobbyist use this product as well as commercial and industrial users. Why the disclaimer?

Thomas

Sal Santamaura
3-Jul-2015, 07:24
...Why the disclaimer?...Because Kodak's lawyers decided that, rather than making some attempt to deal with the myriad laws and regulations which govern home darkrooms in various jurisdictions, they'd simply cover the company's legal tail by ignoring reality and claiming this product (among others) isn't intended for home use.

I wonder if there's any feedback through the retail chain that provided Eastman Kodak (and now provides Kodak Alaris) insight into what percentage of XTOL sales ends up with amateurs working in home darkrooms. If so, the data are probably refused on instruction of the lawyers -- "plausible deniability." :D

cdholden
3-Jul-2015, 08:35
In several situations, you will find that manufacturer specifications are not always in sync with standard industry practices.
I agree that plausible deniability is a factor to consider... even more now than in years past.

Bill Burk
3-Jul-2015, 08:38
I work there but don't speak for Kodak on this one...

Probably simpler explanation than that... 5 liters is a lot of XTOL for a typical home user - who would probably be better off with the 1 liter kit(s).

Sal Santamaura
3-Jul-2015, 08:54
...Probably simpler explanation than that... 5 liters is a lot of XTOL for a typical home user - who would probably be better off with the 1 liter kit(s).I don't think so. The only other Kodak chemical I have in the house is Rapid Selenium Toner. It carries the same "For Commercial and Industrial Use Only" labeling.

Also, it's been 13 years since Kodak discontinued one liter packages of XTOL. Since then, the smallest size available has been five liters.