PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Euryscop

mylek
30-Jun-2015, 18:43
I'm looking to buy a lens to do some wet plate head and shoulder portraits on whole plate and 8x10.

Is there a lot of difference between the Portrait Euryscop series II and III apart their maximum aperture and Petzval?
I've found some information on the series III but nothing on the II and i'm aware they are RR.
How do they compare with the same focal length?

Any other suggestions?

Regards!

goamules
30-Jun-2015, 19:26
Each of the series are fairly different in look, and of course speed. The RR versions will be flatter field, and less aberrations than the Petzvals. It's like the difference between an F1.2 35mm lens and an F2.0. The are different types, so you can see a difference.

mylek
1-Jul-2015, 06:02
Thanks Garrett,

i have smaller petzval but i'll like to move up to 8x10 plate. Most of the big name Petzval lenses are nice but too big and pricy for my lens board.
I missed a Vitax #2 (13 1/2) and i saw Portrait Euryscop II that cover whole plate, any ideas of its rendering?
Is a Vesta 14" or copies will be better even if i'll need more exposure time with f/5?.

Mark Sawyer
1-Jul-2015, 11:41
Here's a link to an old Voigtlander/Darlot catalog that goes through the different Euryscop series. But you'll find the Euryscops as expensive (or more) then the Petzvals. Especially so the faster versions, like the Series II and III.

http://www.motamedi.info/text/French%201890.pdf