PDA

View Full Version : Clear spots on film

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 16:51
I processed a few sheets this weekend and all seem to have clear spots on them which print as black spots.

Could this be chemistry contamination? Bad fixer?

I used the same process as always and never had this issue.

I'm going to begin by scrubbing everything down with borax to make sure everything is 100% clean to start with.

I used tap water but that's never been a problem beforehand.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Jun-2015, 17:14
I processed a few sheets this weekend and all seem to have clear spots on them which print as black spots.

Bubbles or dirt/dust.

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 17:36
I thought that too. However I found it odd that all 6 sheets displayed the same spots. I'm extremely nit picky about loading,cleaning, and protecting the carriers.

Air bubbles seem more feasible.

djdister
29-Jun-2015, 17:59
A picture is worth 1,000 guesses. A scanned sample of a neg with the spots could help distinguish between spots caused by dust or dirt versus bubbles or chemical contamination.

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 18:00
Sadly I don't own a scanner yet.

Wayne
29-Jun-2015, 18:27
Don't be sad.

Sadly I don't own a scanner yet.

tgtaylor
29-Jun-2015, 20:21
It could be do to using an acid stop? In any event you can eliminate the dark spots on the print by treating the clear spots on the negative with crocein scarlett.

Thomas

chuck461
29-Jun-2015, 20:38
I had a similar problem recently. It seems that it was because of old (contaminated?) developer (Exactol-Lux). Tiny clear spots all over the film. It only happened with HP-5 in 120 size though. HP-5 sheet or 35mm were OK, as were other emulsions. Fresh developer fixed it.
I hope this helps.
Chuck

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 20:59
It could be do to using an acid stop? In any event you can eliminate the dark spots on the print by treating the clear spots on the negative with crocein scarlett.

Thomas
I just stop in water, I use an alkaline fixer PF TF4.

Thanks for the crocein scarlett tip, that's one thing I love about this forum; someone always has a solution/saving grace/ ace in the sleeve.

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 21:00
I had a similar problem recently. It seems that it was because of old (contaminated?) developer (Exactol-Lux). Tiny clear spots all over the film. It only happened with HP-5 in 120 size though. HP-5 sheet or 35mm were OK, as were other emulsions. Fresh developer fixed it.
I hope this helps.
Chuck
I'm using PF liquid pyrocat and have individual syringes for each solution.

RodinalDuchamp
1-Jul-2015, 05:12
I scrubbed my darkroom down with hot water, detergent and borax like a man possessed.

Developed some new sheets and all is well. I still don't know the exact cause but I will be much more stringent about cleaning all my vessels. I usually do 3 hot water rinses after each session but that isn't enough I suppose

RodinalDuchamp
3-Jul-2015, 17:05
I think I pinned the problem down to small particles in my developer. I'm not sure how but one of the bottles developed a slight "crust" around the brim. I have to watch for this very carefully now.

Michael Cienfuegos
5-Jul-2015, 08:54
I think I pinned the problem down to small particles in my developer. I'm not sure how but one of the bottles developed a slight "crust" around the brim. I have to watch for this very carefully now.

You can take care of the problem by washing out the bottles when you have finished with the developer before refilling them. In the meantime, you can filter the solution to get rid of the gunk.

m

RodinalDuchamp
9-Jul-2015, 10:11
You can take care of the problem by washing out the bottles when you have finished with the developer before refilling them. In the meantime, you can filter the solution to get rid of the gunk.

m
Thanks. However I am using premixed liquid from PF. But I'll keep that in mind if I decide to ever mix my own.